Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 301/302 Chevrolet engine guys.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56sedandelivery, Jun 5, 2020.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

For those of you you who may be interested, there's a set set of Speed Pro, #7543P pistons, in standard bore (if you're willing to take a 283 out to 4 inches, or have a good 4 inch bore block), on that auction site we all know and love. $149.96, and that INCLUDES shipping; you can't really beat that price. They're not mine, nor anyone's that I know, BUT, I did buy a set of them (there were two sets for sale), that I'll probably just flip. They have some large domes, but you can always mill them down, or use large chamber heads. If you're interested, there you go, if you're not, you're not. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

2. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the heads up! I'm just building two 283s and one needs .080 over because of a rusty bore.... That would be a good candidate!!!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like they are gone... Could not find them... But thanks for the heads up!

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are still there. as of 2:02 pacific time
    You had to look for the part number rather than 302 pistons.

5. As of 7:18 CST, they are still there as well. Does the ad say “destroked” because they are a pin height for a 283/302, and not 327?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Yes, that's why.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

So, who bought the other set? They did't create any interest until I posted them here. Not sure why they were advertised as "destroked 327" (???), when the part number comes up "302". I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Just a guess (or four).
    They don't know the difference because they've just warehouse liquidators.
    Would'nt know the difference between a Z/28 302 and a Boss 302 engine.
    They hope to sell based on buzzword advertising.
    Don't care if they aren't correct as long as they sell (all sales are final).

XXL__ likes this.
  9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I think it was seven sets when they started; I waited until there were two sets left before asking for the compression height. They did't even know what that was until I told them how to measure for it. Then I looked up the part number for confirmation. I tried to buy both remaining sets, but it would't go through, so I bought the one, and posted the other here. Hope it was a HAMBER who got the last set of them, really good price if you can use standard size. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. vinfab

vinfab

I bought the last set this morning based on the heads up from this post. Thanks 56sedandelivery. After a trip with my son to Byron and the Meltdown Drags, my son has been assembling a 50 Chevy coupe to race. We took a gamble on the pistons, hoping one of the half dozen or so early 283 blocks we have will sonic test thick enough. A 301 will perfectly fit our 64/65 timeline build. Thanks again. Here is what he started with. 50003.jpg

tb33anda3rd and 427 sleeper like this.
  11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Very good!!! I bought a 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe here off the HAMB, and had it trucked up here from Texas. Then I lost interest due to other projects. Rather than sell the car, I offered it to my nephew, and he jumped on it, along with a mild 350, beefed aluminum Powerglide, and a 56 rear-end with a 4.88 Positraction. Most of what went into the car was mine, along with most of the money, but I thought I could get him interested in old cars. Then he started his own CNC aerospace business, and he lost interest, but would't give the car back. I wanted to build a drag car, and started with another OT car when he finally returned it to me. Too late, as I was already committed with the other car, and wound up selling the 51. I've regretted it since. Only wanted a 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe since about 1968, only to wind up selling it. Car was built as a "Street Gasser", lifted up with a blocked front suspension and overload shocks in the rear, big and little Cragar S/S wheels and tires, traction bars, and the power-train already mentioned. Guy I sold to to dropped it down, and put some ridiculous wheels/tires on it; I had kept the Cragar's and tires that were on it, then he sold it, and I've lost track of the car. Can't keep them all, but it's one I should have kept.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. vinfab

vinfab

That's too bad you got rid of the 51, but some times that is the way life works. The picture was taken before we brought the car home and the 8 inch rally wheels did not make the trip. As I said, my son was in a visual overload at the Meltdown of all the axle cars there. Currently his car has a 9.3 Olds with 5.38's and we are in the process of stubbing the frontend for a 47 to 54 1/2 ton axle with 54 passenger car brakes and cross steer. All homebuilt and low buck, so the pistons really fit the build. Many thanks again.