Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering box suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by borderboy1971, Jun 5, 2020.

1. I'm sure this has been gone over alot but heck why not one more time? I'm still collecting parts for my 32 ford sedan I'll be building. I will be doing my best to keep everything pre '65 on it. And the era of build I'm I'm trying for is early 60's (pre65). I was planning to use a 54 f100 steering box in it, but the truck I was gonna get one from has apparently gone for scrap. What are your recommendations for the best box to use, easiest mounting, etc? There's not much left for parts around here so I guess I'll be searching high and low.

2. I would search a little longer for the f100 box. What engine are you running?

Charlie Stephens

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

4. I like the F1 better.As far as I know the f100 only has one pitman arm.The clearance between the back of it,and the frame can be close.The F1 will take any arm from 32-up giving you a choice of lengths,and offsets.The F100 does have a wedge shim available for mounting in a 32 frame which may make it more of a bolt in.Both have been used so it may come down to what you find to work with.If your running a flat head the lower steering column on the F1 may clear the exhaust better than a F100.

alanp561, ClarkH and 67L36Driver like this.

5. F-100 with a later pitman arm sets up in a '32 pretty nice.
    steering 1 (Medium).jpg

Baron and alanp561 like this.
  6. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I know you want to keep it pre 65 but I went with a later sixties mustang box on my Deuce Roadster project. A buddy of mine went with a vega cross steering box in his Deuce but then he had to run a panhard bar.

7. When I was building my sedan I found several F1 but they were all worn out, I ended up going with a brand new Veda box, and have no complaints. HRP

8. alchemy

alchemy

F-1 box with the stock 32 flange end of the casting welded to the box. You can use a stock 32 pitman arm if you have one and it will fit like Henry built it.

The box will be slightly lower, and the shaft will come through the floor lower, but you will have more room for headers.

ClarkH likes this.
  9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

If your looking for a rebuilt F 100 box contact Neal Jennings on here (NealinCA) He is one of the premiere steering box re builders in the country. He will also re-flange the box so it's a direct bolt in with no shims.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    X38 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  10. I'll be running a 394 olds in it.
    I was under the understanding that the f1 box does not have as good of bearings in it as the f100? And next question, does the flange need to be cut off the f100 box and rewelded?

11. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

F-1 and f-100 are same basic design bronze bushing for sector and tapered rollers on the worm which are the same, the f-100 has a larger diameter sector so in theory, it would be slightly better as it has more surface area

you could reverse a 37-48 passenger box and would end up with the same thing as a f-1 also as the internals are the same

Reversed Corsair box would get you in the right era too most the old hotrods I have seen used mostly stock 32 boxes , some used the f-100 , I feel like the f-1 ,f-100 upgrade is done way more today than it was back then

12. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

According to Tardel, the F100 box can be used in a 32 frame without modification, provided you also have a tapered alignment shim. And you will need to drill new mount holes in the frame.

Tardel's book on the subject is worth every bit of its $12 cover price. You can get it on the Tardel site and on Amazon.

And as thirtytwo said, I don't think there's any difference in bearing quality between the F1 and F100 box.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  13. Sorry but one more question (I'm sure I'll have lots more). I do have a 53 f350, I suspect that steering box is different than the f100?

14. goldmountain

goldmountain

I'm using a mid sixties Dodge pickup steering box. They were used until 1971 and have a Pittman arm that looks like the F100 one. Also, it is separate from the steering column and I see them listed on online parts stores.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Well, tragedy was avoided after all. The truck I was getting for parts was merely moved. It unfortunately got hurt more in the move but I can still save some parts including the steering box. But now I gotta figure out if that's the box I will use or not. Thanks for the advice though everyone.

Attached Files:

alanp561 likes this.