Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 Comet build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choppednslammed, Nov 15, 2011.

1. William jones

William jones
    from Pa

hi great job on the torque boxes i need to do the same just was wondering if you still have ur plans or ur mark ups for the torque boxes

2. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

Hey william, I didn't make any really good templates for the torque boxes. I kinda just made ones that would get me close to the actual piece and fitment then would adjust as I went along .

Looking back now I probably shoulda made some of the final pieces before I welded them in just incase I needed them again or for other people to use. If your close to Greensburg PA and what to come look your more than welcome to come out

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

Hey guys hope I can get some help on identifying this transmission that was given to me.I tried looking it up everywhere I found it could be anything from a Ford to a Chevy or AMC.. Its a 10 spline input with a 28 spline output reverse is in the tail housing and side cover has 9 bolts holding it on ..heres some pics THANKS IN ADVANCE ..Jim

Attached Files:

4. Beat2Hell

Beat2Hell
    from So. Cal

Nice! I really dig them comets.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

5. 65COMET

65COMET

Jim;it looks like a 1965 Comet/Falcon Borg Warner T-10.I do not know the numbers but I am basing it on the dual bolt pattern for the bell housing and the location of the shifter,plus Ford used the 10 spline input,28 spline output.All T-10s have reverse in the tail housing but I believe only Ford used the dual bolt pattern and 10 spline input. ROY.

6. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Updates?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

Hello all...

Where does the time go!!

First off I wanna say this is the first time I’ve been on the forum in a looooong time and was so bummed to learn of Roy’s passing ... I never met him in person but he was a inspiration to this build in his comments to me and knowledge he shared on these cars

Here’s some update on the Comet build ...

The injection setup was sold to a fellow Hamber for his build a while ago. This will now most likely be a dual quad 289 car now, mild build and streetable.

I moved on to the worst part of the car.. the back half. There was a lot of thought and research on this and once again as the plan got started it immediately changed.

What I thought was going to be an easy frame repair turned into a MAJOR overhaul. I thought only the last 12-18 inches of both sides of the frame were bad. So the plan was to fix that and use Crites Performance offset shackle kit and front spring locator to gain more wheel/tire room by moving the springs inward. That didn’t go to plan as the passenger side frame was soft almost up to the center of the rearend.

After kicking it around I decided best course of action was to fix both sides with rectangular tubing and narrow the frame to move the springs inward to gain tire room.

See pics below of how it all came together

You will see in the last pic, where the jack stand is placed is where the spring used to be. New inner wheel wells will be made to make some more room. With the axle bumper removed and spring relocated I gained around 3 inches

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

Some more progress ..

New Floor section up to center of rear end from fronts of wheel wheels (still needs lipped shrunk with dolly)

New section of trunk fabricated , still needs some fine running, once other 2 sections are made it will be final fitted to get ready for inner wheel houses IMG_1205.JPG IMG_1193.JPG IMG_1197.JPG IMG_1203.JPG Adjustments.JPG IMG_1209.JPG

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Glad to see you haven't given up on the Comet. I am going to get my 65 Comet station wagon for a SEGA super stock car. your thread is very useful for me to look for rusty places before I buy it.
    I will be watching and will start my thread for my build.

choppednslammed likes this.
  10. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

This is the first I have seen this thread. Interesting build you have going on, as you may have seen by my avatar I’m a Comet owner. My ‘64 Cyclone has been with me for almost 52 years now and is in final assembly of its latest incarnation.
    Mine has a Boss 302/4 speed/Winter’s 9” on narrowed parallel leafs. The front suspension is now struts, Baer disc’s all the way around.
    I will be watching the progress on you Comet!

11. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

It’s been an off and on project for years now. Other projects come up and it gets put on hold (I restored my dads 1964 speedboat with a Merc1000) then I thrash on it again when I get back to it. Trying to get the back end finished before the boat comes back from storage for the summer.

I’m gonna check out your ride sounds sweet !!

12. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

Some latest update pics..

Trunk floor is finished .. onto inner wheel wells and trunk extensions

IMG_1225.JPG IMG_1224.JPG IMG_1226.JPG IMG_1227.JPG IMG_1228.JPG IMG_1229.JPG

13. Before you fasten that floor, get your roll cage in and welded to some sub frame connectors and the frame. Make it easier on yourself and tie the frame into pcs of tubing going from the sub frame connectors out to the rockers. Looks great so far. Envious of your car!!

chryslerfan55 and AHotRod like this.
  14. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

Right now there are no plans for a cage .. but that could change in the near future

15. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

[​IMG][​IMG]

Some quick updates on the 64.. all inners and floor are fab’d up just some small things to tidy up and everything will get finish welded

16. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Very nice fabrication, the inner wheel houses turned out great!
    Keep the updates coming.

17. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

Here’s some more updates

Since reproduction 1/4 panels are not available to buy and solid donors are just as impossible and pricey if you do, I decided the only option was to try and recreate them..

These were done as 3 individual panels

Came up with my own die setup for my bead roller the rest was all learn as I went, for someone with experience these would probably be easy, but for me these things were a handful.hahaha IMG_2092.JPG IMG_2093.JPG IMG_2094.JPG IMG_2079.JPG IMG_2091.JPG

18. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are really honing your skill set! Great looking parts. The car is coming along nicely.

19. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

Some updates on the 64 Comet..

Both front panels tacked in, these are a flanged lap joint fit with weld through primer on both surfaces IMG_2149.JPG IMG_2147.JPG

20. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

21. Looking Good...so what’s the plans for the 289 now..

22. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

Right now plans are just a mild build, eventually I’d like to get it to a high rise dual setup

23. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

Another section tacked in place, now to get the outter wheel well lips replaced and attached Adjustments.JPG IMG_2158.JPG IMG_2160.JPG

24. Very nice...how mild is mild??!

25. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

That will be up to my engine guy :)

I bought the 289 from a friend out of his 66 Mustang. It was rebuilt .030 over with basically stock components.

For now I want to see what I can throw in it as far as cam and what can be done to the stock heads.

Long term, upgrade the rotating assembly/ heads and make some good HP with it.

Still looking to keep it as a 60’s era build so I don’t want to go the aluminum head route, for now just looking for a good sound and for it to be streetable

26. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

Finally !!! Full 1/4’s on both sides since it’s last inspection in 1974 ...I was able to get the corner fab’d in a single piece with a couple creative slices where the corner rounded in multiple directions. A couple more pieces over the next few days and the metal fabrication will finally be over and on to the fun stuff! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

27. RmK57

RmK57

Looks great, nice work. How big of a tire do you want to use?

loudbang likes this.
  28. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

Been a while since there was updates .. Back half fab work is finished, quarters finish welded in, trunk extensions made and trunk floor finished [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

29. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

When I finished the quarters I thought I was done with all the fabrication on this build .. this was not to be the case.

As I was getting ready to start the engine/trans mock up I noticed pinholes at the bottom of the driver shock tower. This lead to a complete frame fix and a swap of a donor set of shock towers on both sides.. enjoy the pics [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]