Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Starter or Solenoid?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ben Chirco, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

My 1970 Model A has a 1970 350 in it, I bought it last fall. I just started driving it around and working out the bugs. I have put about 10 miles on it. It was mostly build 30 years ago. I have had no problems with it until this morning.

Cold start and it started clicking. I assumed I had a battery draw somewhere so I put the booster pack on it. Same problem. I was finally able to start it after many attempts with clicking and some grinding. This evening, I had my son try to start it while I was going to get some meter readings at the solenoid. When he tried to start it, there was really loud ticking, grinding and I saw the starter do what appeared to be jumping or moving up and down. I stopped there.

Do I start with a new starter or solenoid?

Thanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

start with tightening the starter mounting bolts!

3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Tightening the bolts will improve the ground it needs as well. If the starter has been moving around for a while it likely chewed up the ring gear.

4. squirrel

squirrel

make sure it has the correct mounting bolts, too...some guys use normal bolts, instead of the special ones with the knurled shank

5. wayne-o

wayne-o

Also, there is normally a brace from the starter to the block on the opposite end from the drive that helps stabilize the starter.

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Check all battery cable connections.

alanp561 likes this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They pretty well said it all.
    Make sure that you have the correct starter bolts and not regular bolts.
    Tighten the bolts up correctly.
    Get and put the brace from the end of the starter to the block on.
    Then check all of your battery cable connections. Especially where the ground cable connects to the block. I've gone and checked a number of "I just got it together with the fresh engine and it won't crank" rigs that had so damned much paint under where the ground strap connected to the engine it wouldn't ground. Made a grown man cry when I scraped away enough paint on one to get it to ground right. I think he said he had six coats of paint on the engine.

8. gene-koning

gene-koning

What does a 1970 Model A look like?

alanp561, MMM1693 and TagMan like this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

Darn near a match to a '88 Edsel.

alanp561, MMM1693 and da34guy like this.
  10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Solenoid, 100 %! If you're at all mechanical, take the starter motor off the engine, disassemble the solenoid by removing the balkite cap, and flip the battery contact, copper "bolts" around 180 degrees. You'll see where the copper washer arcs against them, and the arcing eats away at the posts; turning the posts around 180 degrees gives you another bite at the apple, so-to-speak.. Or, you can just replace the entire solenoid. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

alanp561 likes this.
  11. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

Thanks for the replys. I did not have the box checked that said to receive notifications of comments. I just looked and see them all. Thanks.

I woke early this am and started going through each wire on the car and cleaning them. I had installed all new wires when i got the car. I think I found that the battery kill switch may be defective. I have by passed that switch for and think i may be good to go. I will watch it and see.

I did read on line last night an article about the starter brace. I see a comment was also made in this forum regarding a brace. I have ordered one.

Thanks for all the help.

alanp561 likes this.
  12. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

What Butch said. Bolts might be loose, but I'll put my money on the contact ring.