Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Turning a pile of parts into a woodie.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ol'stinky, Jan 3, 2015.

1. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

I'm going to leave it without a window. I know it will be a blind spot, but I've wanted a panel truck since i was a kid. And just to clarify, i meant spare tire carrier on the rear under the back gate, not smack in the middle of the quarter panel.

kiwijeff and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  2. I believe if you have a space for a spare you should have one, i have mine in my pick-up box. JW

kiwijeff and ol'stinky like this.
  3. A Boner

A Boner

It’s bad enough that the 4 modern shit tires on a car only last 5 years, why make it 5 tires.

4. I think some trim board either running down the middle or two spaced out would break that expance up. maybe a pair of strap hinges so it looks like it could be a gate?

5. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Yes sir, I think that's a better plan. I have an old NOS Yankee license plate light too. That should break up the space. I'm debating whether or not to put some Pontiac tail lights back there but I'm not sure. I was thinking about maybe Model A or 37 Ford lights on little brackets sticking off the sides. So many little details to work out over time. I'm also cooking up a plan for the rear gate latch. I found some stuff at work that I might be able to cobble together.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  6. I don't know why there is a line running through my text. what did I do?

7. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

I don't see a line, maybe you hit a button?

8. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Recently I purchased a headlight from YouTuber and fellow HAMBer @IronTrap Matt. In doing so I learned a valuable lesson... Not all Guide 682-C lights are created equal. It's the same, but different. But I'm really glad to have it for now. It really helps me to see how the front will look. Although a prefer the black one, its good for mockup. Super nice guy and easy to deal with.[​IMG]

9. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

It is chopped, but I have no idea how much. Somebody chopped it a very long time ago. Honestly if it wasn't for that chop this thing might have gone in a whole different direction.

Stogy and kiwijeff like this.
  10. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Today's progress consisted of making the rear gate latch. I started with an old latch and handle I found at work, I'm assuming it's early Ford stuff. I made a bracket to attach to the body and used a small U-bolt I had laying around as a striker. I kind of wish the handle was higher up on the body, but that's where the hole was on the latch, so I'll live with it. I also mounted a gas tank in the frame today. It's a poly tank for a dune buggy. I knew I needed to go with a small round tank because space was an issue. I went with this one because it has a flange for a sending unit. One thing I don't like about it is the large sump in the bottom. It brings the tank a little lower to the ground than I like. I think I'll make a skid plate to protect the tank and fittings, just in case.

Stogy, kiwijeff, ampsbad41 and 3 others like this.
  11. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

This weekend I finally got around to starting on the floor. I cut it out of 18guage, I still have to do a bunch of trimming before I can weld them in. I also finished making a seat frame. I decided I didn't want to use the little bucket style seats I've been mocking it up with, I just don't feel like they were right for this project. Instead I made a bench seat out of a porch swing I found in the trash. I narrowed it 5" and added angled risers and strips of metal for strength and to give me a mounting point for upholstery.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Stogy, kiwijeff, brEad and 2 others like this.
  12. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

This weekend I got the floor panels all trimmed up and welded in. I used a step die on my bead roller for the flange around the trans tunnel. It was a pain in the ass to hold a 48" long piece and crank the roller at the same time. It was only the second time I've ever tried using it, but last time I had my Dad there to crank it for me.[​IMG]

Stogy, brEad, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  13. Good job! :cool: JW

Stogy likes this.
  14. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Stogy, kiwijeff and ol'stinky like this.
  15. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Thanks for the link, but I don't want anything too fancy. I have a vision of what it will look like in the end. I am going for a finished look, but rustic. It's going to be a little less surf wagon and a little more hay wagon if you catch my drift. I've been doing some experiments with staining techniques and studying the wood on survivors and older restorations.

16. I like the sound of that, love this build!! :cool::cool::D JW

Stogy and kiwijeff like this.
  17. paint a little black first, then sand it off. the black will stay in the grooves and pits and then stain over it. it will look aged. I did it by accident. IMG_0481.JPG

Stogy, tomkelly88, brEad and 3 others like this.
  18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've enjoyed it, so that's all that counts! :D
    Seriously, now: Some nice fitting on the chassis and brackets, but the roof/headliner idea was right out of Slatsville! (very much like the mid-'40s Ford woodies, really has some Panch!)
    When you're talking Woodies, ya gotta talk the lingo...Zorch don't cut it, it's like...Ya gotta ride the tunnel...like, groovy, Cat...High-back it. Dig?

19. I finished work today and found this. I had not remembered posting on here in 2016, so started reading and caught up with the progress.
    Very cool to see this project morf into the Woody. Great work.

Stogy, Peanut 1959 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  20. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Welcome back to the thread! Since you last posted on here its probably changed names 3 times as I change my mind with the car. I promise I won't change my mind again.

Stogy likes this.
  21. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Made some progress finishing up the floor. I had to throw a coat of primer on in because all my sheet metal seems to flash rust to quickly. Next I need to work on the hump over the rear crossmember and the hatch to access the fuel filler.[​IMG]

kiwijeff, Stogy, brEad and 3 others like this.
  22. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

After having trouble logging onto the H.A.M.B. I gave up. But I got it all straightened out so now I’m back. The winter took out my harbor freight tent garage, which then turned into a nasty letter from the city, so I had to take it down. This resulted in a garage that was too full of crap to work in. Plus I got distracted by trout season... but I cleaned up the garage and now I’m back! Finished up my last pieces of floor. Took the body off and I’m now painting the underside.

kiwijeff, Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  23. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

24. Good to see you back and making progress.:cool::cool: JW

kiwijeff and Stogy like this.
  25. Progress is good. Glad you are back posting.

Stogy likes this.
  26. JimSibley

JimSibley

Love this kind of build.

kiwijeff, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

28. dave plmley

dave plmley

good job, woody's are cool here's mine

20211128_4.JPG 20211128_2.JPG 20211128_4.JPG

A Boner, brEad, tb33anda3rd and 4 others like this.