Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***June 2020 Banger Meet Thread - So Four So Good***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jun 1, 2020.

1. noboD

noboD

For a trans that's almost 100 years old it would have to be real cheap. What is he hiding?

winduptoy likes this.
  2. If it's like mine then chipped teeth?

railcarmover, Jet96 and winduptoy like this.
  3. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

No arguments from me. Just looks pretty busy for my tastes. I generally like a simple appearance.

railcarmover and winduptoy like this.
  4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

looks like it has been burnt

5. railcarmover

railcarmover

The cat said his shop burned down,so its highly possible it was in the fire.Im going to open it up or no sale,need to check it out,the gears are the money shot.I was just grousing about sellers who dont let you open shit up...

winduptoy likes this.
  6. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Generally he has a good reason he doesn't want you to look inside.

railcarmover and winduptoy like this.
  7. Hank56

Hank56
    from NC

7ACD230C-46AA-421D-A1C1-C4F792E600CE.jpeg Checking in...my buddy Cody and his 31 pickup moved 2 1/2 miles down the road from me so I gotta sidekick now for my banger powered cruises around town...

8. railcarmover

railcarmover

exactly..it has to be a 26t in good condition or no dice.. he has a bunch of stuff,either Ill get a sandwich or a steak dinner but I wont go away hungry.

winduptoy likes this.
  9. VARA's "British Extravaganza" couple of weeks ago went off without "A Hitch"! Just got word that none of the participants got "The Virus". I had no competition so I didn't push it for any lap records! About six weeks from now on July 18th there are plans to have the F.A.S.T. Time Trials at the Santa Margarita Ranch. The Ranch owner tells me that he is hoping the restrictions will be raised before that time.
    ranch10 (2018_02_11 18_51_06 UTC).jpg ranch13 (2017_12_27 02_23_16 UTC).jpg ranch9 (2017_12_27 02_23_16 UTC).jpg FASTSM-7 (2017_06_30 15_13_08 UTC).jpg

mctim64, burl, Dustyp489 and 4 others like this.
  10. railcarmover

railcarmover

The LZ cluster gear had passed somthing through high gear a couple of teeth were galled so I passed.Did get a pair of 59AB's,a 3 deuce intake with 97's for the 59AB and an 8BA edmunds intake with 2 94's..

winduptoy likes this.
  11. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

IMG_2880.JPG

A little late to the party this month. I was on vacation last week and was slaving away in the wife’s upholstery shop. I did however take Saturday and Sunday to put my coupe back together. Excited about the twin 81s and geardrive intake and lake header. I still need to get air cleaners set up and adjust idle air a bit. Pretty happy with how it runs.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. 4bangerbob

4bangerbob
    from AB, Canada

Hi here are some pictures I took when removing centre oil feed tube and then tapping 1/8"NPT
    Existing oil tube was .381 diameter and tap drill for 1/8 NPT is .332 " so .050" over size I originally thought I could have tap aligned with existing oil feed tube but tap O.D. is too large as it contacted the block so I decided to tap the existing os a slight angle so tap body would clear and fitting would also fit without grinding clearance into the block .

to remove tube I cut it in half put a vice grip on the cut half and drove it out with a hammer 20200609_000435.jpg 20200609_000622.jpg 20200609_003424.jpg 20200609_003244.jpg 20200609_002050.jpg 20200609_000435.jpg 20200609_000622.jpg 20200609_002033.jpg 20200609_002050.jpg 20200609_003244.jpg 20200609_003424.jpg

So tapped using 1/4" drive using 1/4" square socket fit okay and tapped hole is good looks like enough threads to make tight and hold pressure but will use epoxy thread lock on thread when finally assemble bad news is centre bearing is shot so will remove and make an align boring fixture and bore a new centre bearing

fur biscuit and Dustyp489 like this.
  13. railcarmover

railcarmover

Wonder if it it would be easier leaving the tube in place and plumbing in the valve gallery like Yapp does,I realize its tight working to feed the front bearing around #1 tappet stand but you might end up with more flow,by the time you're done sleeving the ID of the sleeve might be less than the existing tube ID.Id take Yapps method a bit further,and counter bore the tube hole and match ID of tubing and tube as close as I could,brazing steel tube to ford grey iron is easy work.The higher the flow the faster the bearing is fed on startup.
    [​IMG]

edfueler and winduptoy like this.
  14. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

This how i plumbed oil to the center bearing.I wanted the feed line to go directly into the relief area on the main insert.Im not running full pressure as i do not intend to run at high rmps with this engine yet.I did rebuild the and modify the pump for more volume/pressure.I used from info from Jim Brierlys and other experts to come up with a plan.Still need to figure out how to plumb my external pressure relief valve to the filter system. oil feed.jpg

G Baese, winduptoy, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

damn nice car ................ steve

winduptoy likes this.
  16. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thank you! The car will be together for 4 years come September!! I went back and looked at my build thread for it and I cant believe how busy my summer was while thrashing on the car to get it to the Colorado Hill Climb. Now Nearly 4 Years later I think there is nothing else I would like to do to it with an exception of putting my Super Winfield head on it.

17. Dan from Oakland

Dan from Oakland

4Bangerbob- please don't use those style compression fittings inside an engine. Vibration will eventually crack the tubing around the ferrule. Not quite as bad if you use steel line, but I would not take the chanve Either use Swagelok fittings or flare nuts/flared tube that support the tubing better.

fur biscuit and Old Dawg like this.
  18. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the refresher, used the flared nuts on my T. Recall it being a huge PITA to get everything tucked in. Appreciate why so many people just drill out the main caps, but then you are injecting the oil at the point of the highest pressure.

19. The other issue on feeding oil into the cap is reducing bearing surface area. BUT, you can do this by properly grooving the bearing.

J

G Baese, Old Dawg and winduptoy like this.
  20. railcarmover

railcarmover

The problem with drilling the cap is the hydrodynamic principle,the oil clearance needed (.001 per 1 inch of shaft) doesn't exist in the feed area, basically the hole is drilled at the highest load point on the bearing..John's bearing surface reference..other than that its a good idea,my engine is drilled like bingers,with a full flow oil filter it develops some pressure on the center feed line..

[​IMG]

21. 4bangerbob

4bangerbob
    from AB, Canada

Dan

thanks for the comments. I was considering JNielson's suggestion to braze in the steel lines on to the brass fitting or flare the steel line. Single or double flare? which is has been used successfully?
    Bob

fur biscuit likes this.
  22. noboD

noboD

Hey Binger, how does the coupe do in the snow?

23. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

HAHA I don't know. The official snow tally for Tuesday in Laramie 50 miles west was 8"! I do remember my dad telling me how good the coupe was for donuts when he was a kid.

Old Dawg, barrnone50 and Jet96 like this.
  24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

they work well , groove tires

25. poshdbs

poshdbs

Met up with Steve (Vibration free) on Friday. The Stirling dampers have rollers and no ball bearings inside as Winduptoy posted. Took an A block for his idea of a flat 8. We'll see what he's up to soon. Covid etc. meant my flywheel was not ready yet but hopefully not too long now.

winduptoy likes this.
  26. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will a V8 9” clutch cover bolt up to a 1932 B flywheel ? We are building a new B motor and I know the original B clutch was getting near its end. New motor will have a lot more power than the stock original as we are going to fit an OHV conversion and some other period tricks . The last thing we want is a slipping clutch .

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  27. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The B flywheel is basically like the A, just a little lighter. It will have to be modified with machine work, to accept a V8 clutch.

Kiwi 4d and Old Dawg like this.
  28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

** my lines are flares .............. 8 yrs now with no problem

29. railcarmover

railcarmover

The B flywheel is 10lbs lighter it can be identified by two steps on the outside instead of three..

[​IMG]

Winduptoy is correct it has to be machined to accept the v8 clutch

Old Dawg likes this.
  30. Might want to mention that this is NOT machined for the 9" clutch.
    I am hearing that the Ranger diagram clutch is better? than the 9"
    This will be going in my coupe next.

J

Old Dawg likes this.