Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 Ford patch panels

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Karampelasm, May 31, 2020.

1. Karampelasm

Karampelasm
    from St Pete,FL

Hi Guys,
    I have a 34 five window project going and I could use some advice. I received lower patch panels from Tom Bay for both sides doors, rockers, cowls, and quarters. There is not much left on the lower portions of the panels of the original sheet metal and I don’t have much to go on to make sure they are properly positioned so the panels will all line up. Any pointers on where to start would really help.
    Thanks.

2. alchemy

alchemy

Sandblast all rust off. Then bolt to a solid and straight frame. Make sure it's bolted down tight. Align the doors. Might need to add shims or make repairs to the subframe to get the doors to close correctly.

Then, I'd get the rocker patch tacked in place. Make a nice gap to the remains of the door. Then I'd get the new door patch tacked in place. Then move to the cowl and quarter. Obviously you will need to fix any rust in the subrails before adding any of these patches.

Hot Rods Ta Hell likes this.
  3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Like he said, but I would use as little patch panel as possible un-less they are cut from another original car... I would get my patch panels from the same manufacturer, though it is no garantee ...

4. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Alchemy is right, bolt the body to a good frame, preferably the frame you are going to use with the car. The frame acts as a jig. With the description you give of the lower body it may be that the floor will have to be repaired or built first. Excuse the non-Hamb friendly chassis, but here is an example of a 34 five window I am currently building starting with the floor. IMG_2851.jpg

5. Karampelasm

Karampelasm
    from St Pete,FL

Hey ss34, where did you get those frame to floor pan gusset plates?
    Mark

6. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

They are stock pieces. Have seen them in repro, although I am not sure if anyone is currently making them. Also please post pics of your project. We get a better idea of the issues and can provide more effective help if we can see what your coupe looks like.