Register now to get rid of these ads!

The "Spaghetti Western" Saga - Building a Triumph Chopper

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by J.Ukrop, Dec 24, 2018.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Running? Yes. Ridable? Not so much. The clutch has never worked, so I decided to tear into it and see what was going on. Because it sat for so many years, I figured the discs were stuck. I tore it all apart but didn't find anything out of the ordinary. I then put it back together, making sure all three springs were adjusted properly. A little fine tuning here, a little there and I had a functional clutch. The following morning I knew I had a shot at finally riding it.
    IMG_3810.jpg

brEad, Surfcityrocker and El Hueso like this.
  2. Getting close!

3. stinson

stinson
    from alabama

Wow that thing looks cool next to a 32. So close, gonna be awesome!

J.Ukrop and Surfcityrocker like this.
  4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Update: I had it running and riding for a little less than a month before the big end bearing seized. Luckily I was on my street and not stranded. Here are some shots of it after it was finally "finished."
    IMG_3889.jpg
    IMG_3890.jpg
    IMG_4002.jpg
    IMG_4004.jpg

Attached Files:

Ragged Edge and El Hueso like this.
  5. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Initially, I thought it was the rings that seized. So I tore it all down...
    IMG_4458.jpg
    IMG_6041.jpg
    IMG_6383.jpg
    Then I discovered the bearing issue. Rather that splitting the cases, I found another T100C motor for sale in Nevada. More updates to follow.

El Hueso and Muttley like this.
  6. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Now, where were we? Lindsey and I traveled to Fallon, Nevada, and picked up a T100C basket case. It was a running, stock bike, and the previous owner decided to tear it down and build a bobber. He said the motor was solid, shifted and didn't smoke, so I was sold. I bought the whole lot and kept what I needed for my project. IMG_6475.jpg
    The mill.
    IMG_6534.jpg
    IMG_6490.jpg
    Spotted this guy on the way back. You can get the full story here.

6inarow and El Hueso like this.
  7. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_6623.jpg
    Twice. Pipes.
    IMG_6558.jpg
    Hmmmm...should I use the spare frame to build a drag bike to take on @Kevin Lee?! Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 6.56.05 PM.png
    Maybe one day. As of now, the new engine is in the frame and I'm working through my extensive to-do list.
    IMG_6911.jpg
    Mocked up with the Scrambler pipes. (I'll be running the TT pipes for now.)

8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Little by little, it's coming together as parts come in. Here's the new high-output MORGO oil pump in place. It's all buttoned up now, and I'm currently waiting on some hardware for the electronic ignition. IMG_7434.jpg

9. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

More pics.of the cat

craig b blue and cactus1 like this.
  10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I will next time I go back to buy more metal. Haha.

Time for another update. The "running motor" I got in Nevada wasn't all the seller claimed it would be. It was disappointing to say the least. The final order of business was to adjust the valves before fire-up. Easy enough, right? Wrong. Only three of the four moved. After a little bit of head scratching, I popped off the rear rocker box and discovered that one of the pushrods was broken. No problem. I swapped in one from the last motor and was ready to rock-and-roll. Well, I put it back together and—still no movement. What?! Back apart it went.

Then I realized that it could be a stuck valve. I gently tapped the top of each spring with a hammer and yep, the valve with the broken rod was stuck. I've since taken it apart and cleaned everything up. The valve operates smoothly and everything seems to be within spec. I'm going to remove all the valves next so I can inspect them. I also had a fresh gasket set on hand, so that should help move things along. Now, for some pictures.

IMG_7563.jpg
    IMG_7564.jpg
    Gotta clean those pistons! I don't think this top end has ever been taken apart.

Nick32vic and El Hueso like this.
  11. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

And what is that V12 powered object on the table?

12. Great stuff Joey.. I can totally relate...I have had a couple pass through the garage
    Chappy
    IMAG0665.jpg IMAG0644.jpg

13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Just like that, we back...

In the past few weeks, I've had a little bit more time to work on this. After taking off the head, I measured everything, lapped the valves and installed new valve springs to replace the tired old ones.
    IMG_7734.jpg
    IMG_7803.jpg
    IMG_7867.jpg
    While waiting on parts, I was finally able to use my new-to-me '60s Craftsman pop-rivet gun to good use. Could I have bought a chain guard that fits? Yes. But I love a little bit of farm-fresh ingenuity, and this modified HD Shovelhead piece fits the build style just right...
    IMG_7631.jpg
    IMG_7642.jpg
    IMG_7644.jpg

Ragged Edge, brEad and olscrounger like this.
  14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

After fussing with the rear rocker box, I got everything assembled. I filled the tank with fresh gas, rolled the bike out into the street. Two prime kicks. Ignition on. Fired right up on the first kick. I watched the oil pressure light and it appeared as if the new pump was doing its job. After a few heat cycles, I took it out for a ride.
    IMG_7925.jpg
    And a video...I'll take a better (not vertical) one at some point soon.

With the bike running again, I've spent the past month adjusting the little things. I also rode it to my friends' house where we did the initial construction (look for it on Page I of this thread). They were excited to see it complete (again!)
    IMG_8124.jpg

Ragged Edge, brEad, Muttley and 3 others like this.
  15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool! Had quite a few non unit Triumphs and A10 BSA choppers in the late 60's early 70's Got pictures somewhere Enjoy!
    Damn-that was 50 years ago!!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  16. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Updates: finally got my new drill press going and had some fun with the front brake backing plate. IMG_8363.jpg

17. Speed Holes! I love your thread, I finally was able to get one of my bikes out last weekend and rode the crap out of it. Nothing else like it!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

J.Ukrop likes this.
  18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_8495.jpg
    There's nothing quite like it at the local grocery store. IMG_8499.jpg
    Caught some good light. I have a few small touches I want to add and then it's hopefully time for some miles!

Ragged Edge, brEad, cactus1 and 3 others like this.
  19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Not too much happening with this one. Seeing that I would like to do some road trips, I wanted to install a set of pipes that I could either baffle or put mufflers on. I've always dreamed of having scrambler pipes that run along either side, and I managed to find a set and have them shipped over from England. Once they're securely in place, details will include custom heat shields and yellow paint inside the megaphones. IMG_9227.jpg
    IMG_9228.jpg

20. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Nothing major to report, just enjoying the bike. I like the increased performance and crackle of the new/old pipes. That being said, earplugs are a must. That's choppers for ya!
    IMG_9618.jpg There's a new project in wings, but more on that later...

21. Looks killer Joey!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks! I'm on the road for a few weeks, but here's a snapshot from the garage before I left... IMG_9844.jpg

brEad, 6inarow and cactus1 like this.
  23. UGOTBIT

UGOTBIT
    from Upstate NY

Love me some old Trumpets, gettin gmine going was very similar to yours with all the highs and lows

J.Ukrop likes this.
  24. Graham08

Graham08

Congrats on the feature in the latest issue of DicE!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  25. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@J.Ukrop Those old bikes are too much fun! I'm in the middle of building a dual sport out of an XS650 I rescued from a salvage yard. Shortened the rear of the frame a bit, relocated the shocks further up the reinforced swingarm for a bit more travel, melted some metal together for exhaust, stitched up a seat from leather couches that people had put out for trash, laced up a 21 inch wheel to the front hub, went from a 17/34 sprocket tooth count to 16/48 (It'll pull the asshole out of an elephant), rewired to be just a kickstart bike, only switch is "on or off", etc.

Current state of the bike:

20201210_102705.jpg 20201210_102723.jpg

J.Ukrop likes this.
  26. triumph 1

triumph 1

Very cool t100! I’ve been a member here for 10 years & had no idea there were bike builds in the antiquated. Old triumphs are a blast to bomb around on!
    I have a few........

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  27. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Wow! That is incredible. It's so neat that the bike has both the look and the performance to back it up. I love the exhaust and the seat. I bet it's a blast to ride off-road.

Thank you! You don't see many bike builds on here, but I thought hey, it's old so why not! Hahah

Post up some pictures of your Triumphs!

28. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is a blast for sure. So's this one. Motorcycles were my first love, and I have what some would say are too many of them. 2ZDone2.jpg 2ZDone4.jpg

J.Ukrop likes this.