Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Carbon Canister Use

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by partssaloon, Jun 3, 2020.

1. partssaloon

partssaloon

Is anyone using a small carbon canister on their gas tank vent line? If so what is it out of.

2. Traditional hot rodders don't need no stinking canisters!

3. partssaloon

partssaloon

East coast rodders don't park in the garage in 120 degree heat

4. squirrel

squirrel

no, but I've thought about it.

partssaloon likes this.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My gas tank vent exits behind my fold down license plate through a grommet. I would need to locate the canister on the back bumper. I don’t think that would enhance the style of the car. 29D6C672-3989-43E4-8B4A-D2400A358E18.jpeg

MrPhat40 and olscrounger like this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yeah but it's a dry heat. :)

Sheesh, I quit working today when it hit 80.

What does the carbon do?

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The carbon canister filters the air vented out or into the tank. Cuts down a bit on the fumes off the tank a bit and usually have a powder puff filter to filter the air going in. There are on most 70's cars under the hood with a line running from the tank to the canister and a line running from a vent on the top of the carb to the canister.
    Remember when you walked past that car or truck at the rod trot last year that you got a strong wiff of gas fumes from? Usually the one that belongs to a guy who fills the tank just before he gets to the rod trot so he has a full tank to hit the road with the minute he decides to leave. Or my blooming truck no matter how much gas was in the tank. With the filler cap coming up though the bed that truck reeks of gas fumes just about any time it sat out in the sun for a while.

blowby and partssaloon like this.
  8. prpmmp

prpmmp

A real cheap way is to put a plastic bag ( zip lock) over the gas cap with a rubber band(if its vented) when you park in the garage. Put a note on the steering wheel so you don't forget to remove it when you go out for a ride. Pete

9. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I put one on every build, 1993-95 camaro or firebird, 94-95 caprice/roadmaster/fleetwood donors.

partssaloon likes this.
  10. Joe H

Joe H

I have the carbon out of one in a jar under the back of my truck. Two tubes are soldered in the lid, inlet and outlet. The tube going into the tank has a small Rochester fuel filter on the end and is buried in the carbon. The air inlet tube is above the carbon. It cut down on fuel fumes in the garage quit a bit. Any vapors that are absorbed in the carbon are pulled back into the tank while driving. I used one from a '78 Camaro, once cut open, there was about a small pickle jars worth of carbon.
    Joe

11. jockeyshift41

jockeyshift41
    from Florida

Check custom harley shops. We sometimes pull them out when we customize the bike if it has one. They’re pretty small too.

12. partssaloon

partssaloon

I've been looking at one. In the pictures for it I can't make out the mount brackets on it. Nice size though, 3 1/4 dia. X 5 1/2 long

13. partssaloon

partssaloon

14. Per the link that I posted, add a non vented cap and the Mercedes burp valve (part number is listed in the thread/link) along with your canister and you should be good to go. It worked for me.

partssaloon likes this.
  15. partssaloon

partssaloon

Can't change the fuel cap, it's part of the body line 956F5B76-B6F6-40E9-BF8B-BCFA92D7143D_1_105_c.jpeg

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Modify it then. :D

anothercarguy and squirrel like this.