Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Problems with Aldan Shocks??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1973FE, Jun 2, 2020.

1. 1973FE

1973FE

Has anybody out there had trouble with these shocks? Things like losing the nitrogen charge, leaking dampening oil, etc. I have a friend that has a puddle of oil where they sat on the shelf, and were brand new! If there are better shocks out there, like Carrera, QA1, AFCO, etc., that have a longer life, please do tell. The current application does not require "pretty", but it does require good function and "drive-ability."

2. I know people who have had problems, so you are not alone.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  3. No personal experience, but I've heard good things about the QA1s.

partssaloon likes this.
  4. When my Aldens leaked, I sent them back with copy of purchase receipt. Fixed for free under lifetime warranty. Think I did this three times over 20 years, 100k miles.

Phil

5. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ridetech has a 1,000,001 mile warranty on their shocks. And I’ve heard some very positive things about them. No first hand experience yet. FYI

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  6. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any word on Monroe?
    Monroe.jpg

7. badshifter

badshifter

Ride tech changes their shock supplier pretty regularly. I believe FOX is the supplier of the month for them at the moment.
    Aldan shocks are entry level at best.
    QA1, Penske, JRi, good shocks, more money.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had good luck with QA1s.

partssaloon likes this.
  9. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’ve had good luck with Alden coil overs, only had one leak (out of about six pairs) and they repaired it, no problem.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Have you researched Koni or Bilstein? They have "traditional" style tube shocks that are every bit as good as their fancy pants stuff. And they will set them up for you, too, should you want to alter the feel. All you need to know is the extended and compressed lengths and mounting bolt hole sizes.

Ned Ludd and loudbang like this.
  11. I have had good luck with the QA-1 shocks. HRP

partssaloon likes this.
  12. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Do you have a local performance shock rebuilder? The dampers on my DD are rebuilt junkyard stockers with new seals and custom valving installed by a tiny local outfit called GT Shocks. If Cape Town can have one such, chances are there are more wherever you are.

13. big john d

big john d
    from ma

i have aldan coil overs on my drag car for the last twelve years and have never had a problem

14. I was fortunate enough to get the chance to work at JRI shocks for a day assembling shocks. all hand made by Americans. shop is spotless and organized. it was a unique opportunity for me. I assembled shocks that were destined for Harley Davidson side cars.

15. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I replaced my Alden coil overs with Pete&Jakes coil overs 20 yrs ago with no problems...……...

16. You get what you pay for. I stopped buying aldan shock a long time ago. Qa1 is my go to shock now. Look at the classifieds for a set I'm selling.

17. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I had Aldan coil overs on the front of my Deuce roadster. The springs were what were called "progressive springs" meaning the bottom 1/3 were wound tighter than the top 2/3. The ride got progressively worse and after about a year you couldn't get a business card between the bottom 1/3 of the coils. To me, when you have a spring that the coils are touching, it's not a spring, but a 3" spacer. This was after only about 2000 miles. The ride was also harsh, but I chalked it up to just being a hot rod. While at the Nationals in Louisville, I stopped by the PRO shocks booth and talked to the PRO people. They suggested that I send the Aldans to them in the off season and they would evaluate them for free. After they evaluated the shocks, they told me even though both shock's and spring's were correctly rated, the shock's were "blown" and needed to be replaced and the springs were useless. I purchased and installed a set of PRO coil over shocks and could not believe the difference in the ride. In fact, the first trip I took with my wife, she even mentioned how different and smooth the car rode. I have had the Pro coil overs on the car now for over 50K miles since, with no issues.

18. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

I just sent a 23 year old pair back to them and they replaced all seals, filled with new oil and recharged for me for the cost of shipping and treated it as under warranty. I say that is some damn good service.

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I put a pair of Aldan coil overs on the back of my A pickup just a couple of years ago and have had no issues with leaks, yet. The ride quality is quite good, at least compared to the worn out shocks that were on it when I acquired it. Definitely NOT entry level, good quality, gas charged, adjustable rebound shocks. Priced accordingly.

20. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You should get you some of these.

pleasurizer shocks.jpg

-Abone.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  21. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Blew out 2 sets of monroes on the back of my 56 pickup, still have the 11 year old set of monroes on the front but they are the Yellow HD shocks, rears were the middle line, Upgraded to single adjustable QA1 and best thing I ever did, when the front shocks go I will put the same ones up front.

On my moms 56 ford we pulled the monroes off and put the belltech drop shocks on, great bang for the buck shock for sure so far. They are good for lowered vehicles for sure.

My 53 belair has the cheap blue monroes, they ride ok, just can control the rear end enough on hard fast bumps.

Billsteins or KYB are not bad either, just problems most find is the gas is too hard and adds spring rate that kills ride.

VOTE QA1 here is my top choice.

22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

QA1 and Bilstein on my cars right now. Never an issue with them.

23. dwollam

dwollam

I prefer Gabriels. Never liked Monroes.

Dave

Crazy Steve likes this.
  24. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I have them on the front of my truck and they are leaving. I sent them back under the warranty, and I got over a $100 bill to rebuild them. Still not happy with them. I will match the QA1's I have in the back.

Tony

25. HemiTCoupe

HemiTCoupe
    from TN.

Does anyone have a 15" Aldan coil over, a single, pair, or a set 13.5 - 15" Even one that need rebuilding. I have a 13.5 & a 15" now. I need a mate to the one I have.

Attached Files:

26. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have QA1 on the front of my 40 and Ride Tech on the rear. I have had to return both for repair, Ride Tech repairs free and quickly, QA1 goes to an authorized rebuilder (independent) and cost $100 and took awhile.

27. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Just contact them. im sure they will fix or replace for free.

28. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

QA1s on my stuff without any issues whatsoever! Had horrible trouble with Monroe's.