Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How many cars are too many

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodrhp, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

If a counted everything including parts cars, 60's and early 70's cars along with newer ot cars and trucks around 20.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

I have 6 in the garage/shop. All but one hamb friendly. 2 are mine one is my sisters. The other three belong to a buddy of mine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there is no such thing as too many cars, only not enough money or not enough room. I read somewhere Jay Leno has never sold an old car. he still has the old 56 or so Buick he used to sleep in while getting started in comedy.

if I were stupid rich I'd have hundreds of cars.

ratrodrodder, wicarnut and Driver50x like this.
  4. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Hang on, let me check.
    The wife says three which just happens to be what we have now.

32SEDAN, dana barlow, X-cpe and 3 others like this.
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that he pretty well hit it on more than one point. As long as you can maintain the running and driving ones in decent shape there isn't a limit. He pretty well hit it on the parts cars too.

I honestly had to look at his address to see if we might be thinking of the same person who is my best friend who is now in a nursing home. Had a couple of long time unfinished pretty cool projects that never got finished because he was always buying and dragging home another needs too much work project with the money that should have been put in those two.

I'm to the point of deciding on thinning the herd a bit, Getting rid of one ot truck with a flatbed because the trailer I bought a while back can haul anything it could behind the other OT truck I have. I've been thinking about selling the Model A Vicky body and frame and putting the flathead in something a lot simpler to deal with, It's just looking like more work than I will be able to do in a reasonable time.
    I've got one OT parts car that used to be my daily that got hit by a garbage truck that I need to pull the engine out of and haul the hulk to the scrapper but I've been waiting until I get something to put the engine in.

The other factor might be the question of are you/am I making reasonable progress on at least one project or are they all sitting and nothing is getting done? Or rather than a collection do you have a hoard that you keep and let rot just so no one else can have them? I know a guy who has close to 20 (55/57 Chevy ragtops that he has had since the 70's that he hasn't to my knowledge done a thing with and not letting any go seems to be more important to him than maybe culling a few and selling them to finance actually fixing up a couple of them into decent drivers. He is another one who continually buys stuff but never finishes anything.

wicarnut, Driver50x and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

F4A37DB6-F7A1-4EB8-8DAE-61FABFBB1758.jpeg 1D9E23BC-7CFB-47DC-9D2E-A1FB7055B9AE.jpeg 9FB1A031-12CC-47CE-9372-E42572BD31C5.jpeg 257BEE9D-1B43-43B2-9614-6FAB03845367.jpeg 6C466419-45C3-4191-A4BC-AE595554370D.jpeg 68BFD2B3-6155-4A06-9DAB-44F8CCBDC0D7.jpeg I have 13 (if zingers count as cars...) and a drag boat, a chopper trike, 4 go karts and 5 mini bikes. all are indoors of which 3 are inside the house. All are finished cars and only one is off topic here (by 1 year). All of the street legal stuff gets used and maintained regularly weather permitting. If I were to get another car something I currently have would have to go and it would be a pretty tough decision

IMG_7201.JPG IMG_7216.JPG IMG_7206.JPG IMG_7210.JPG IMG_7224.JPG IMG_7174 (1).JPG IMG_5452 (1).JPG

7. ahshoe

ahshoe

I am down to 7 now. I have garage room for another cause I recently sold my 32.So the the combination of garage room and some spare change is a good combination for me to be in for the moment.My wife is actually pushing me to pick up another one I been thinking about....She is a great lady.

8. Too many is when you can't store them out of the elements. JW

210superair, scotty t and wicarnut like this.
  9. BJR

BJR

HOW MANY CARS ARE TOO MANY?
    More than you have room for at your home property.

wicarnut likes this.
  10. dwollam

dwollam

I think if I ever got up to 100 cars I would think that was enough.

Maybe

Dave

210superair and ratrodrodder like this.
  11. wicarnut

wicarnut

A few years ago when I turned 70 I decided to reduce our car inventory, did sell 1 car, a HAMB friendly, nothing since, LOL. Currently have 3 hobby cars, 1 Hamb friendly. The wife has an OT hobby car and we have a daily driver SUV all wheel drive, All 5 nice/driving/plated/insured, also 1 project in process., the family race car I drove in 70's. I do all the maintenance, repairs as needed, getting to be more work than I want to do. I've owned hobby cars for many years, 30 +, I've Enjoyed the car Hobby is some form all my life, born into a racing family. I always said, "Never too many cars, just not enough garage space." So to answer the question, IMO there is no definite number. Age, Health, Checkbook comes in at some point in everyone's life, that becomes a factor on this subject, again IMO.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  12. I have got it down to my 36 Chevy p-up driver and the 25 Dodge project. My wife is claustrophobic so the 36 doesn't do well for her and she doesn't care for open cars so I keep my eyes open for something that floats her boat so to speak. Mitch

wicarnut likes this.
  13. Found that 45, fully maintained, insured, road ready, street legal cars was my limit. No projects. Couldn't spare the time or the space.

14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have found that 2 hot rods work best for me...the one I've finished & driving... and the one I'm building. Although hot rods are a big part of my life, they aren't my whole life. There are too many antique toys, vintage guitars and rare coins out there vying for my play money.:cool:

210superair and wheeldog57 like this.
  15. Nope.........Just nope.

16. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

No such thing as too many! If I had unlimited funds I would build a warehouse and fill it up!

ratrodrodder and 49ratfink like this.
  17. DocJohn

DocJohn

18. karl share

karl share

I had at one stage 9 cars and 3 motor bikes, have been thinning out the herd as i am going to retire.
    Will keep my 32 ford, 57 olds and 21 harley as well as my daily driver G8 pontiac ute.
    It was a hard task keeping them all in good running order, the weight has been lifted off my back.
    Plus the bank account is much happier. :D

wicarnut likes this.
  19. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

One is good for me but it has to be the right one and I finally found the perfect car at 60 years old.. I don't want anything else taking up my car time. It's a off topic 69 el Camino SS396 with a 427/TH400/2.87 rear end. I passed on the 64 el Camino I was going to by. This car is SO much fun to drive, you know how you get one of those cars every so often, I could never sell it.. The only bad thing about it is its off topic on HAMB. I wish we had a 1964 to 1972 section on HAMB, maybe call it HAMB 2?

scotty t and wicarnut like this.
  20. HemiTCoupe

HemiTCoupe
    from TN.

Depends, who your asking, me or my wife!

Elcohaulic likes this.
  21. indyjps

indyjps

If you had 6 running and driving old cars, In addition to daily's. I would think that would be a lot of time just to keep, washed, waxed, drive regularly, fix issues, general maintenance.
    To really keep them exercised and prepped that they can go on a road trip without concern, its actually a lot of work.

I consider it different level of "readiness" to trust them to go a mile away in town to get some icecream VS ready to drive to another state.

I think a lot of classics are in the icecream category, much fewer in the next state category on "maintenance readiness".

22. Cougar20th

Cougar20th

Depends if you ask me or my wife.

23. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I had four, two of which are hamb friendly, and all were in the condition that I would drive them anywhere. When my dad passed earlier this year it added three more cars, all hamb friendly, but all needing work, so that puts me at seven. I'm putting a motor in one of dad's now, hoping to have it as another driver this summer, and another of his will be next on the list and will hopefully be a driver by next summer. The third has been sitting in dry storage for forty years so that is more of a five year plan project. I'm 36 and wanting to start a family, but I can't see getting rid of anything. I doubt I'll be buying anything else anytime soon, but if something else came up I think something else would have to go. As mentioned by indyjps it's a lot of work just to keep the maintenance on the cars. I usually pick one and drive it to work for the week in the summer, then the next week pick a different one so nothing is sitting too long. First world problems I guess.

ratrodrodder and indyjps like this.
  24. I have 3 "old" vehicles but am constantly checking for another project. My wife has 3 dogs and tells me if I get another vehicle she is going to get another dog. So... 3 is my limit. :)

guthriesmith likes this.
  25. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lessee here-
    2 OT drivers
    1 OT pickup truck
    2 trailers
    '37 Chevy coupe with an aftermarket egg shaped trailer.
    '55 Chevy 2 door sedan
    '54 Dodge pickup (project)

All of it fits inside except the 2 trailers but they are hidden from view...

That is my limit-we voted 1 to 1 and I lost somehow. Her philosophy has always been that if she doesn't have to look at outside stuff she doesn't care what I have.

26. When I was in my early 20’s, I lived by the thought of “He who dies with the most toys (cars) wins.” But, for multiple reasons that could become a story in itself, I have come to learn that more cars really equals more headaches. So...even though I still have too many, I’m pretty sure that more than a daily and one old car are too many. And, in reality, pretty sure life would be simpler if the daily and the old car were the same car. Oh...and unless that daily and old car was a truck I might need one of those too... See where this goes? :oops:

27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure about how many cars since I'm always looking but haven't bought anything in a while. But I do know for sure, you can never have too many flatheads although I've only got the one in my p/u at the moment.

28. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'm down to one that thankfully needs nothing. It feels IMG_0144.JPG good.

50Fraud, scotty t, Chavezk21 and 2 others like this.
  29. cktasto

cktasto

One thats “finished” and one OT project.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. j3harleys

j3harleys

That's where I'm trying to get to. But I'm a terrible impulse buyer. I'm trying very hard to quiet.