Register now to get rid of these ads!

BEING ABLE TO GO BACK AND RENEW OLD PHOTOS AND FILMS

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by jnaki, Jun 3, 2020.

1. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    I was going back through some old posts to make sure the photos or videos are still active. I have changed some photos from the originals and by accident, the originals may not be showing in those older posts. Altering the original one and possibly using another similar photo does make the computer program do funny things. So, I was checking those posts that very few go back and read.

But, some of us like history in our hot rods and drag racing scenes. So, to make sure, I have checked a few different topics and posts. Most are OK with everything in place, but some are still without any way to EDIT or use MORE OPTIONS to correct those post errors.

Jnaki

From a conversation a few days ago:

Hey Ryan,
    Someone mentioned that today, one of my old posts had the You Tube of a Lions Dragstrip dragster being not available. When I checked, it was not, so I tried to delete the non functioning video and the bottom of the post was odd.
    upload_2020-6-3_5-42-33.png
    When I went to delete and add in a new You Tube address, there was no way to edit the post or in any thread that I checked. All of today's posts are the same, just a red report tab and no editing features.

Sorry there is a problem, but I thought you should know.

Thanks,

Jnaki

JNAKI, MONDAY AT 5:22 AM EDIT REPORT

SAMPLE:
    Hello,

How am I able to go back to old posts and make sure the You Tube videos are able to be put on the posts or threads if there is no EDIT or More Options available?

There seems to be a lot of red Xs on photos. But on movies, it just says "the video is unavailable." I want to correct those that say that with the same or better You Tube videos that I have created..
    upload_2020-6-3_5-43-46.png
    Thanks,

Jnaki

Being a fanatic about how each of my posts are perceived, those simple errors are easily corrected, but this one has me stumped. Some how, the edit or more options selections are missing and then there is no way to correct it with new add in information.

It is a question about how anyone sees things. those giant watermarks on an old photo should not be presented. but simple things that could enhance a photo should be able to be corrected by the original person who posts the information, photos, or films.

The_Cat_Of_Ages likes this.
  2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Red-X Photos you can thank Photo Bucket for that.
    If you want them back - you have to pay $ 399.00 to Photo Bucket.
    They pulled this extortion about 3 years ago if I remember.

Thor1 and Moriarity like this.
  3. Yes sir, I did my entire 7 year long wagon build blog on photobucket and they are holding all the photo's hostage. I refuse to pay their outrageous yearly members fee.

Fortunately I had backup photo's but all my written dialog is gone, I have had a lot of members ask me about why I no longer have a link to the build and all I can tell them is than photobucket for that, I have been looking at the photos and in the future I will try and post a build thread on the hamb.

I do have the photo's in my Hamb album although there is no order to them. HRP

4. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Sorry guys, I do not subscribe to any outside “cloud” source to store my photos, films or home files. Too many companies have come and gone, while there are still some powerful companies offering their off-site services. It is tempting, but for now, we have our own safe keeping system. Yes, Apple does provide their off-site cloud for all new Iphones and devices. As do some big communication companies.

My son was the one to tell me about a new thing way back then, about external hard drives. He asked me if we used them. Well, not the full-on computer person that he was, I listened and evaluated what he said. His goal was to get us to copy our files and send them to a “cloud” service. We had many laughs about where the actual “cloud” service is located and how it is disguised to everyone.

He told us that he copied most of his photos and stored them on a “cloud” service. So that got us to thinking about alternatives. What he wanted us to do was: in case of an emergency, he wanted us (my wife and I) to grab 15+ family photo albums and take them out to the getaway car. We chuckled at that.

Our list of emergency evacuation items started with our granddaughter, my wife, our dog, and then me in that order. Since we had one station wagon at his house when we were with our granddaughter, it was a no brainer about quick evacuation.

At home, we started to copy our family files, complete music files and our film collection, but put them on a hard drive. At first a “large 500 gb” drive was used and that filled up fast over the next year or so. Then thing was, it was on our home computer and laptop drives, so we had to grab those and evacuate if needed.
    upload_2022-5-5_4-22-33.png
    How could one not want to preserve our own family history in photos/films from the way back time machine in a safe place under our own control?

Jnaki

Then finally the companies started making larger in quantity 1 TB to 2TB external hard drives to hook up to laptops and home computers to store larger stuff. 1TB is large and should take most normal family photos and files plenty of time to transfer the “stuff” to the external HD before another one is needed.

Over the years, our old hot rod files, photos and films have taken up a lot of space due to transferring them to digital files. Now, they are well preserved digitally and should not fade due to exposure or length of life. Our current emergency set up has two separate 4tb hard drives about the size of a deck of playing cards. They easily store away in a jacket pocket or for us, in a “go” bag within easy access in case of an emergency.

No paper files, photo albums or any other files are crammed into the go bag. It is all on two separate large hard drives. Everything else is expendable and replaceable. One year, our teenage granddaughter was visiting us for an overnight weekend stay. She thought she smelled burning something in the air. When we went outside, we saw that a giant fire was within a block of our house and a ton of fire trucks and personnel were hosing off the leaping flames.

So, we gathered our “go” bag and had our car keys sitting on the counter waiting for the evacuation notice that happens over a loudspeaker. There was no rush to get “everything” of value. The valuable stuff was nicely stored in the “go” bags and were sitting together alongside of us, still playing a family game at the table.

It is your choice as to what or how you keep your valuable stuff. We have upped the game one step to include a 3rd 4 tb external hard drive that fits in a small safe deposit box at our local bank. Since bank runs are a part of our lives, when it is time, we upload the new stuff on to the hard drives, including the off-site one in the safe deposit box.
    upload_2022-5-5_4-23-52.png
    Our son chuckles at the small portable hard drive set up, but he should be proud of the fact that he started the idea and now as “listening to our kid” old parents, have gone one step further to make our lives simple and easy for the next decade or so.

alanp561, pprather and 41 GMC K-18 like this.

5. If your photos and videos have any value to you at all, DO NOT CONSIDER online image hosting services or cloud services to be your only means of "safe storage". At the very most, consider these services to be a means, with no guarantee, of temporarily making your photos and videos available for viewing (and often times downloading) to you, and possibly the whole online world.

Thor1 likes this.