Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Loping cam for 350 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Jun 2, 2020.

1. I'm running a Lunati Voodoo 268/276 cam myself. I would have liked a little wilder idle, but it has a great pull to it and good street manners. I run a 4-speed with a 2.52 1st gear with 3.89 gears, CR is close to 10:1. I was advised against the Thumpr cams by Comp Cams when I called their tech line.

2. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Absolutely plan on getting a new torque converter if you want a cam that lopes.
    Much easier to get it to idle in gear, and much better acceleration.
    I put a GM ramjet 350 crate motor into a 57 chevy for a guy. They recommend a certain converter. The guy decided not to do the converter. The car was a pooch. He complained about how weak it was and felt like it was on the verge of dying when dropping into gear.
    I told him to put the suggested converter in the car. He reluctantly agreed. The car now feels great when dropping into gear, can fry the tires at will, and does not have the “slip” he was worried about on cruising.
    Lope is just your engine running like crap because the cam is outside of its operating range. The converter allows the engine to get out of that range without load to help it feel better.

jaw22w, mad mikey, BigO and 1 other person like this.
  3. My last one was a 355, 8cc dish pistons, double hump heads with 2.02/1.60 valves, street dominator intake with an edelbrock carb, manual transmission with a 3:42 gear. I'm not saying it wasn't good, yeah i could burn tires for distance lol, but i wasn't vying for fastest street car or headed to drag week. The guy that did my head work told me that the thumpr cam was more about sound than performance. Maybe the mutha thumpr or big mutha thumpr is better, i don't know. Just telling my personal experience. I have ran a 280H magnum with good luck, but all i hear these days is stories of failure with later grinds from comp. I'm running the XE 262 in my current engine and nervous about it lol.

flatheadpete likes this.
  4. Thanks, that's that's why I'm here. BigO

5. Great info. Thanks, BigO

6. It is kind of hard to recommend a certain camshaft in my opinion, but I wish you luck and hope you get the results you are looking for, bigO. :)

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

bobss396 likes this.
  8. southcross2631

southcross2631

That's why the Isky stock eliminator cams are so good they are .390/.410 lift with a tight C/L and a lot of duration. I could drag the other guys down to 10 mph on refires and pull 4 to 6 cars on them before they knew what hit them .
    Caused the track to issue everybody the same cam to make it fair because I wouldn't tell them where I got my cams. It sounded like a late model at idle. Worked great with a Qjet too.

mad mikey and Truckdoctor Andy like this.