Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How many cars are too many

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodrhp, Jun 3, 2020.

1. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

I have a done 34 five window and a 30 AV8 which I love to putter on. So when I pulled my wife's early Mustang convertible from storage to do routine maintenance last week and started me thinking. Am I crazy or or just indulging myself in my old age for reasons I can't explain? Crap I'm now looking for an old beater truck so I don't screw up my new F150 Lariat! Must be another form of non lethal addiction.

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It depends on how old you are. I am 78 and heading for one good one.

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That's like asking how a posi-track rearend in a plymouth works....It just does. There is no answer. ;) Seriously, just a couple years ago I had 6 cars and one project with 2 licensed drivers in the fam. I sold all but 2 daily drivers and my '50 Ford.

4. indyjps

indyjps

Im realizing I have so many projects I dont get anything done. Trying to narrow the field, hire out house stuff or car stuff where I can find someone I trust.

Real goal is to actually drive the cars.

5. alchemy

alchemy

I'll let you know if I ever get there.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

If they make you happy and the neighbors can't see them, there is no limit. Bob

7. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I know I have too much crap because it’s getting in the way of getting the crap I want done. I’ll admit it.

I want to sell a couple projects but haven’t done it for this reason or that. Its hard to just let em go cheap when I can part them out for more but even that’s a project.

9. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

There is a different number for everyone, I had four old cars and sold one and considering selling another car. Can get three in the garage and my 30 pickup has been sitting outside for 15 years. It is getting pretty rough, the top failed a couple of years ago and when I replaced it I had to replace the wood too. I'm at the point I don't want to do what needs to be done on it again. I also would like to do another 50's car so if I sell it I might buy something else. I need to keep the number low enough that I can keep them all inside.

wicarnut and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. As long as you can feed your family, pay the bills & have a roof over your head you can make that decision, the sky's the limit.

I have 2 finished cars and thinking I have at least one more car to build.

I do have a engine going together but I'm unsure what it's going in. HRP

11. jaracer

jaracer

My buddy Bob died 7 years ago at 81. He had somewhere between 35 and 45 cars. About 20 were finished customs, the rest were waiting projects or parts. He bought another project about a month before he died.

Bob was my hero, he had a big truck body shop/tavern in the same building Sloan03.jpg . What could be better, work in the shop, drink in the tavern. I'm 73 and only have 5 vehicles if you count the motor home. Guess I need to get going.

LOU WELLS, Hnstray, Cosmo49 and 4 others like this.
  12. chopped

chopped

I know 76 year old with over 50 cars, most Hamb friendly. They sit and grow older. That's about it.

stillrunners and Driver50x like this.
  13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

In terms of running and driving vehicles, when you have too many to keep up the basic maintenance on them so that they do not deteriorate and stay in their running and driving form. In terms of parts cars or projects, none so long as the authorities don't complain.

That said, I know many a person who are habitual collectors of projects and never have anything decent on the road. I don't condone it since everything suffers and no cars get finished. But it's a personal choice I guess.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

there is no number answer to this question - a friend that used to do upholstery work did some for a guy that had over 300 - most were concourse quality - another friend, who passed away, had cars stored at multiple locations - wife found out about 30 that she did not know about

15. When you run out of money, space, interest in old cars or time on Earth......that's my answer......

16. squirrel

squirrel

6 fit in the parking garage, 2 fit easily in the shop, and 4 acres will hold a lot of stuff that can sit outside. And we can afford the registration/insurance on the cars we drive. So, I should not feel guilty about buying another one recently.

17. Made me think of this :)....

18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am already at the fence and getting rid of my stash. Have six and two trailers. Two ham:mad:b friendly. When the ‘27 T goes and the ‘48 Effie is done then maybe a coupe to play with. I want to see my garage floor.:D

wicarnut likes this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an 8 car garage but the wife says one bay is hers. If I kick her car out in the rain she said she is leaving. So 7 is my answer...unless number 8 is really bitchin.

20. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

7 plus a bike now but always looking. If I had Leno Money I would push the bounds of reality to see if I could find that magic number of too many.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

ratrodrodder, wicarnut and Driver50x like this.
  21. I hate stuff sitting outside, so as many as fit inside comfortably would be my answer. Fortunately, my shop is large. If you count my beater, both my transporting trucks & both trailers...I have 16. Two in the house garage & the rest in the shop. The open trailer sits outside sometimes in the summer.

I am looking to sell off a couple in the near future to concentrate on the rest.

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

22. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

I have reached my limit I think. Currently 14.

23. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Most people i hang out with have 8. I have 8 but am downsizing to 5, then looking for another one to build.

24. You will know when you reach the limit.
    Probably been already said.

dana barlow and wicarnut like this.
  25. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I can't answer that question.

BUT I think moriarity has too many and being a good Hamber I'm willing to reach out and take a couple for him. I'm more than happy to help a fellow Hamber with such an addiction. That's what we're here for is to help each other!!

dana barlow, LSJUNIPER, clem and 2 others like this.
  26. I've had people ask me. ( How many Hot Rods do you need? ) I'll say I really don't need any. But I'd love to have just one. They asked me which one's that? I say just one of each make, model, and year. lol Before I got married I spent every dollar that I made on my cars. After we were married my wife did all our finances. She's much better than I am. So on my small budget I started collecting cars. Small cars! (Toys ) Lol. I do still have my high school 68 Vette, and dad's 67 Bonneville convertible. A photo of the HAMB Hot Rods. I'm out of garage space. So I'm done. We should be happy with what we have, and I put family first. :) Ron.........
    20200603_164444.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  27. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I have 4, I want more. but I was on a tour with a guy when asked how many cars he owned he said he really didn’t know other than he knew he had 24 Buick’s the look on the hosts face ( the guy who ask the question )was priceless

Hnstray likes this.
  28. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

I always put the family first and therefore held onto the 34 for over 45 years undone and unfinished. Moved it from garage to garage over the years. After retirement 14 years ago I decided I'd sell it and move onto something pretty much done. But bless my wife's heart she insisted I spend the time and money to get the car done my way. The passion never went away and glad it was rekindled. Probably never sell the car so I buy others to satisfy my desire to work on them. AV8 is close to done so maybe I buy another. Hell at 72 I'm too young to stop now

29. gene-koning

gene-koning

There are 2 licensed drivers at my house. We have 4 licensed, insured, and driven vehicles, 2 projects that belong to me, one original frame from an old truck, and a parts car that belongs to my son.
    I have a 2 car garage that only 1 car can fit in at a time, so everything else sits outside.
    The city I live in gets pretty upset about having too many vehicles sitting around, fortunately, my place is a business location and I am grandfathered in, that bypasses most of the city's car ordinances.
    Just the same, I'm in the process of reducing the number of vehicles here, so I've reached my limit unless I buy more ground and put up buildings, which isn't going to happen.
    A guy has to know his limitations. Gene