Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It’s alive!!! A 1964 Chrysler tale....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 Fargo, May 25, 2020.

1. Already polished up!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. If I was doing a repaint on one of these and wanted to stick with a factory color, this wold be my choice. :cool:

3. They do look good, I have a line on aluminum slots as well, so we will see.

I need to sell a kidney or two to afford a set of Chrysler wires, that’s now my goal for the car, I spent my car budget for the year, and then a little, buying the car!

4. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I think a set of the Magnum 500's would look good on it, few years back a old friend of mine had a 64 new yorker,4 dr hardtop,had a 413 in it,was a darker blue with a 3/4 black vinyl top,I did get to drive it in a parade once,it ran hot,spent the whole time staring at the temp guage:eek:,He had trouble with the brake booster,sent it out to be rebuilt,when they sent it back they forgot the little rod for the cylinder,called them they denied they had it,what a time to find one of them.The car is still around here,but i havent seen it in about 7-8 years. Harvey

5. I have seen pictures with magnum 500’s and they do look good, of course I sold my last set a couple years ago. I bought a set of aluminum slots this morning, we will see if they end up on it or not. Either way I had to have them.

catdad49, Thor1, Sandgroper and 4 others like this.
  6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I think the '59 Dodge non-spinner wheel covers plus thin whitewalls look awesome on that car.

7. I like them as well, I love your car as well, forward look mopars rule.

Thor1, Sandgroper and loudbang like this.
  8. atch

atch

you guys have budgets?

Thor1, raven, Sandgroper and 2 others like this.
  9. Two teenage girls heavily involved in basketball for six months of the year and a two year old daughter will do that to a guy.

catdad49, Thor1, raven and 5 others like this.
  10. Toddler nap time update...after her and I took a trip to town to pick up paint for the Fargo and have the new tires put on the rims for the Chrysler, she went for a nap and I went and painted the outside lip of the rim white. IMG_1989.JPG

Yes I only painted the part that will show, this is probably not a long term wheel and tire combo, I couldn’t get a whitewall in a 14” tire in rural northern Alberta so this is what we got. The shipping costs associated with ordering them just didn’t make it practical right now, once I have money put aside for a set of wire wheels I will get the final set of tires then, these were cheap for now.

In the true definition of project creep, I took the front apart to repack wheel bearings and decided I might as well order brake shoes and kits for the wheel cylinders. Picking them up in the morning.

61Cruiser, catdad49, Thor1 and 7 others like this.
  11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Looks just like Dodge did them from '55-59; a plain gray wheel with the outer edge painted white. :)

(there wasn't a lot of consistency in car building in the '50s, but most Dodge plants did this on cars that got the spinner wheelcovers)

59 Dodge transport.jpg

catdad49, Thor1, 1947knuck and 8 others like this.
  12. And here I thought I was just being lazy, instead I was being authentic! Go figure

13. Toddler nap time update...got the front brakes done, new shoes rebuilt wheel cylinders, new tires and wheel covers on, need to swap out the back tires and it should be test drive time!! I will do the back brakes in the next few days, it’s supposed to rain until Tuesday...

IMG_1991.JPG

Also got the front bumper half ass straight until I get the parts car later this summer

61Cruiser, catdad49, Thor1 and 7 others like this.
  14. IMG_1993.JPG

And one outside with the wheel covers on.

15. Damn son!!! Doesn't look like the same car! ;) That looks great!

16. Thanks man, I’m really happy with it, still saving for Chrysler wires but maybe I can sneak in a meal or two now that it looks like this now!

17. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I have a full set of these wheels I would donate to your Chrysler, unfortunately they are in Syracuse, NY. 1980_dodge_mirada-pic-4859110971516794920-1600x1200.jpeg

18. Looks great Lane ,

Looks like you swapped the bumpers already also ?
    You should be very happy with it !

Tommy

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  19. Thanks but those are not at all what I’m after, appreciate it though.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Thor1, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  20. Thanks Tommy, I have not swapped bumpers yet, I won’t get down to get the parts car until later in the summer, I spent some time with a bottle jack and a big hammer and got the front more presentable for now.

Took it for the first drive this evening down the highway, drives awesome. Seems to run out of fuel under load, I think it’s probably plugged up the fuel filter. All it needs now is to be driven I think!!

21. gene-koning

gene-koning

Might want to be sure rubber gas lines are not cracked, old age tends to do that to rubber lines, and modern gas doesn't help. Gene

22. Already changed Gene, thanks for the reminder though.

23. loudbang

loudbang

I like it with blackwalls. :)

Thor1, 1947knuck and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  24. Hey Lane ,
    What about the fuel pump,,,,can you check the pressure somehow ?
    I have seen some that had just gotten weak .
    They would still pump,,,,but not a lot of pressure or volume .
    Might be why it was parked to start with ?
    Swap the filter first like you said,,,,,maybe that will get it .

I could see where the bumper was straightened,,, I assumed you had swapped them already .
    I am with Loudbang,,,,,I like the black walls .
    Good idea on the background scenery in the pic,,,,,it really shows the car well .
    A lot of beautiful country up there !

It looks much better ,,,,great job !

Tommy

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    catdad49, Thor1, Atwater Mike and 2 others like this.
  25. I really appreciate it guys, I will try the fuel filter first, there was some old gas in the tank so I’m really thinking that’s proper what’s going on, if that doesn’t get it then on to checking the pump.

I think the black walls look ok as well. If I had been able to get the white walls I would have done the wheels black. I’m extremely happy with how the car is looking, more to do yet!

The top boot is dried out beyond belief so next I will probably be learning to do some upholstery since that’s the only thing I don’t do here.

Oh and the pictures are in my front yard, I have 17 acres here. It just happened to be where I parked it, no planning on the background!!

catdad49, Thor1, raven and 4 others like this.
  26. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Looking great :)

27. So uh, reckon i could maybe uh, you know, kill a bear or moose on them 17 acres? ;)

28. We regularly have deer and moose around us, elk a few miles away, and the occasional bear wander through.

We always have a guardian dog who does a pretty good job of keeping critters out of the yard.

29. Rusty J

Rusty J

Fuel starvation problem: I had the same issue -- twice. One was with a faulty fuel pump (the new ones are made like crap) Be sure to compare the new with the old to make sure the push rod is the same, the new pumps are really light gauge metal for the gold cylinder parts and kink easily just snugging up the fuel line connectors.

Second fuel starvation issue: accelerator pump - if you've got the B&B carb, take the top off and you can check the accelerator pump rod to make sure it's not sticking - I had that issue last year.

Third: Check the pickup tube in the tank - fuel could have gummed up the fuel sock - probably a good idea to drop the tank and clean it out if you haven't already. I had to get mine lined due to rust. Hopefully that gives some solutions to the issue.

Thor1, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. Ran a little experiment this morning, ran it off a Jerry can and it’s 100% so the sending unit will come out, the gauge isn’t working anyways.