Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Holley 4bbl rebuild or buy new

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by walls, Jun 2, 2020.

1. walls

walls

Im looking to swap a 2bbl intake/carb setup with a 4bbl on a 272 Y-block. 57 F100
    I’ve done my share of Stromberg and Holley 94 rebuilds, but not really anything else.

Question 1
    How do I tell what model this is?
    I bought the intake on eBay and the carb came with.
    Supposed to be 57 thunderbird.

Question 2
    In your opinion, is it worth rebuilding something like this over buying new?
    I’d love to save the money, but will I have small issues afterward (potentially)?
    Or just buy a 390 or 465 Holley and be done with it?
    They’re about $575 new.

Question 3
    Is there anyone I can send this to “refurbish”?
    More importantly is this option worth it over the other two? Just to save a little money.
    02681232-3CDC-4472-B459-F2F7FE0580BE.jpeg 8E8351B0-0EFA-44F0-8DA5-78924A96D6C5.jpeg

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Should be a List # on the front of the choke housing to help identify it.
    Do you have a way to clean it?
    Are the throttle shafts loose?

3. carbking

carbking

The number is visible in the second picture, but since the picture is at an angle, cannot read it.

Jon.

warbird1, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  4. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could go either way depending on what you want the final result to be. Shops like All American Carburetor in FL can refurbish it and make it look and work like new if you want it. Cost.... give them a call.

Whoops, or check with carbking!

5. walls

walls

Seems to be original??
    Google search reveals 435 or 450 cfm
    Should be a good carb for a 272 I’d imagine.
    ECZ-AD
    LIST 1273-1 90D35438-E528-401E-A3BA-4AF4459FB8D6.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    warbird1, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  6. Diavolo

Diavolo

Looks to me like your standard, stock vacuum secondary carb. If it means anything to you, rebuild it. If you really want to learn how they work, rebuild it.

Carbs are easy to make run but especially a stocker will be very difficult to make run exceptionally well.

That being said, if you don't have a really good grasp of how they work, a new one will put you in about the same boat.

I rebuilt all the ones I've used and the last two were Edelbrocks which I learned how to tune. A little one for the flathead and a big one for the 460. Haven't run either but I'm confident they will run as good as I need them to and I know what to do if they act up on me in the future AND I can get parts for them.

Ford 94's were the easiest to understand.

loudbang likes this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s a great carb. Id almost bet a paycheck that’s it’s not Chinese. I will be great for your 272. Get a 57 intake so it will directly bolt on and use a 4 hole insulator. Make sure you use a 57 or later distributor if you don’t use one now. The loadmatics do not work well with later carbs. Good luck

8. RmK57

RmK57

ECZ-AD would stock Holley for a 312 1957 Thunderbird. I think it's worthy of a rebuild.

9. Just keep in mind that putting a "kit" in it is not rebuilding it. It is old and may have worn throttle shafts that leak or other problems. I would suggest sending it to a professional rebuilder/remanufacturer if you want to keep it. It would probably be cheaper than a new one.

10. Sell the carb to a restorer and buy a 500CFM Summit carb....

jimmy six and bobss396 like this.
  11. wvenfield

wvenfield

Before. These had sat on a shelf for years.

[​IMG]

After.

[​IMG]

Only took time, someone that really knew what they were doing but very little money.

bobss396, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  12. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I'd throw a rebuild kit at it and cross my fingers. Holley's are simple and work pretty good IMHO. What have you got to lose?

2OLD2FAST, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  13. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Its difficult to understand that especially on this site there are so many ," send it to a rebuilder ", "sell it and buy new" comments . Its a carburetor , its not efi , or a microprocessor , simply a carburetor , $20 kit & clean it up !

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    warbird1, clunker, Terrible80 and 5 others like this.
  14. racerlall

racerlall
    from WA

15. It's been a while since you bought a Holley kit I see....

The average price these days for a genuine Holley kit to do one of the popular models is $40, prices go up from there. Maybe the off-brand kits are cheaper, but I learned the hard way not to use them. It looks like whatever was left in it has had plenty of time to dry up, so add another $30 for cleaning supplies. This carb is 63 years old; is the secondary diaphragm still good? More $$. Loose throttle shafts? More $$$, and not something easy to tackle at home. Send it to a quality rebuilder and you'll have most of the cost of a new carb before you know it, and it won't have the improvements that have been added over the years.

On a hot rod, it's just a Holley carb. I see it's real value as being to a '57 T-bird restorer who's trying for a 100% correct car; he'd spend whatever it takes to bring it back... and might spend a fair bit of money to acquire it. 'Generic' replacement/aftermarket Holleys aren't hard to find for very reasonable prices, and these will use the cheaper rebuild kits.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    carbking likes this.
  16. Deuces

Deuces

Stick with genuine Holley rebuild kits!....;)

warhorseracing likes this.
  17. walls

walls

I appreciate the opinions.
    Considering all options.
    Thanks

firstinsteele likes this.
  18. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Take a look at this gentleman's work.

https://www.facebook.com/AirFuelSParkTech/

Drew does excellent work on Holley carbs, everything from rebuilds to total restoration.
    You don't have to be a member of Facebook to look at all his work.
    Easy to contact, always willing to discuss options and help solve problems.
    He prefers to work on Ford carbs so it's right up your alley.
    He has done work for me and it was top shelf.

Deuces likes this.
  19. big john d

big john d
    from ma

go to the holley web site and try to find the specials page or reconditioned page they have some very good deals ( a year ago they sold off all their stock of 660 center squirters for 200 dollars each)

Deuces likes this.
  20. big john d

big john d
    from ma

second post use close out in the search box on the holley site lot of smaller 4 bbl s for mid 200 dollars

Deuces likes this.
  21. Or just do what I did!! No stinking carb. Hehehe.:):)

Ben

22. Terrible80

Terrible80

I needed a small CFM Holley for an o/t slant six project. Was fairly broke and terminally cheap so searched a long time for the used one. Was a little intimidated so sent to local expert. Got it back wouldn't run wound up tuning it myself. Bought a really good book on Holley, can't remember title , but it's on Amazon. Carbs are easy, just a lot of complex parts to keep straight. Take pictures!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Having never been hung up on " name brand" anything and and successfully having used AED , proform , quick fuel, as well as holley kits ,I go by price , always under $50 for an all inclusive kit. (Actually AED is a superior kit compared to holley)Trying to find a buyer for a '57 t-bird carb who is also willing to pony up some serious $$ , Ive got better things to do and I'm not getting any younger !!LOL

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I can rebuild it.

2OLD2FAST and Deuces like this.
  25. I bought one of those and it was positively shit. I was able to return it after a big hassle.

Best bet, get a real Holley rebuild kit. But check it over for sloppy throttle shafts. I almost went with a spread-bore Holley I've had in a box and a local carb shop quoted me $150 to make it like new again. I've had other carbs done by the shop and service is excellent.

Deuces likes this.
  26. RmK57

RmK57

The difference between your little Holley and a Summit brand is your Holley will always have value, the Summit carb will not. I found with the rebuild kits is like most things in life, you get what you pay for. Non-stick gaskets, viton tip needles, ethanol resistant pump gaskets in the genuine Holley kit. The offshore cheap kits have none of those things.

2OLD2FAST, egads and Deuces like this.
  27. And thats fine if you have the tools and can re-do it properly. He asked the question "is there anyone I can send this to to refurbish?" so he probably does not have the equipment to do it, hence my statement to send it to a pro if he wants to get it done right.

Crazy Steve likes this.
  28. Deuces

Deuces

The last Holley I rebuilt, I was able to get the little 302 to idle @350 R.P.M.
    It was a #1850-2 carb...

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

GOSPEL

The biggest problem with buying a used Holley is you have no clue what the last fool did to it, this is why they have the bad rap that they have, heard for years "those POS Holleys".
    You ask where they bought it, "got it from my cousin Billy Bob, he couldn't make it work".
    Sure, parts is parts but where does the average Joe know where to start figuring out what's been changed, drilled out, etc.

30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Excellent opportunity to learn a new skill ....make a new friend.....
    Minimal tools , a gallon of cheap lacquer thinner , couple of cheap solder brushes , cash of aerosol carb cleaner , pretty minimal investment ....blow up schematics are on the web for free as well as multiple tutorials....

warbird1, Deuces and Blues4U like this.