Register now to get rid of these ads!

History When did Wagons become Cool Customs?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, May 19, 2020.

1. Wonder if I’m the only person that prefers a post car over a hard top?
    Except in 4 door.
    What

2. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Back around 60 dad had a 55 Ford Ranch Wagon, great car. Then my older sister got her license and it didn't look so good. I like to check them out now. 1970 my younger brother got his first ride. A 53 Ford 4 door wagon, needed an engine. We did an engine swap under a back yard tree and got it on the road. He drove it for several years and knows where it is stashed today. Would like to get it back.

31hotrodguy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Definitely some cool wagons out there. To me the buick wagons are way cooler than the chevys.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Definitely not. I've always understood it as the guys that are more performance-oriented preferred post cars, and guys who were more style-oriented preferred hardtops. Just a matter of personal preference.

6. bchctybob

bchctybob

After reading this thread I’ve come to realize, I’m a wag-a-haulic too. I started driving in Mom’s ‘63 Ford wagon, drove a ‘56 sedan delivery for years, then a ‘56 Nomad. Then a ‘55 Ford 2 dr wagon, an OT VW Fox (2 dr wagon, 4 spd, what’s not to like), then an OT Volvo V70 Turbo that hauled a stash of nailhead parts home (including one whole 401 and a short block).
    Last year we bought a ‘57 Morris Minor woody with a 215 Buick that should be a daily driver very soon. Love those wagons.....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Wagon were cool in 66. A guy in town rolled his GT350 Mustang and totaled it. He bought it back from the insurance company and took every part he could and put it in a 63 Falcon 2 door station wagon.
    Now tell me that wasn't a cool custom ? He even painted it white with Gt stripes to match his dead Shelby.

cfmvw and R A Wrench like this.
  8. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've always like a two door wagon, but the only one I ever owned was an OT Pinto. Wanted to V8 swap it, but no funds and it got crashed anyway.

Would love to have one of those 64-65 Chevelle Malibu 2 door wagons. Growing up, my neighbor's grown son had one, white, rallye wheels, small block power. Just a clean design car, the thin posts just made it look so much better than most wagons.

10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

As long as I can remember, those station wagons were used for family chores. The dad drove a sedan and the mom usually had a station wagon for hauling the kids and stuff. We did not see any custom station wagons until the later 50s when we started to go to car shows and events. But, for the most part, station wagons were for family business. In the mid 50s, surfers found a reason to buy a station wagon over any other car, comfort in sleeping on those surf trips to everywhere. A low cost motel on wheels was the primary usage. Still, the custom part in the early 60s was still cars, not station wagons.
    upload_2020-5-24_3-45-51.png
    We did see a custom station wagon, in an early magazine, built by George Cerny. The Plymouth wagon as it appeared in Rod & Custom, January 1955. Photo by Spencer Murray.

During the teenage years, station wagons had some purpose for families and the sometimes last minute teenage dating scene. But for our group of friends, the station wagon was primarily used for daily driving to school and surf spots. The ease of tying down those heavy longboards on top had its advantages. If the racks were too expensive, a towel, then the boards were placed on top.

Finally, the tie down ropes placed around the boards and the doors/windows slammed shut for a secure fitting. Even then, on some windy afternoons, we had to hold the ropes that were dangling inside of the doors/windows. The rear opening doors also had a rope or two holding down the fin area from sliding around.

The station wagons were not custom cars, nor were they hot rods. They were the very basic transportation given/sold to them by the mom/dad or a hand me down when a new car was on the future family itinerary. What was the advantage of huge space in the station wagons was almost moot when the large and larger family sedans made it enticing to the husband and wife. For us teenagers, it was fun cruising around in those huge family sedans. We learned a lot about teenagers and size in those big cars. A/C, auto, and a neat outdoor electric mirror to tell those with high beams behind us to tone it down.
    upload_2020-5-24_3-47-47.png
    The station wagon myth was that since people wanted to have something different, a station wagon was fairly inexpensive and not wanted from most hot rod people. So, a few custom touches, lowering, new wheels and tires made up most of the custom items. Then as it got accepted as a form of customizing or hot rodding, more people got on the custom touches and performance modifications.

These days, the station wagon or small suv seems to be the way to go. It has lots of power, great handling, good gas mileage and tons of room in the back for any activity from dogs, kid’s paraphernalia, to plants and groceries.

Jnaki

As far as station wagons were concerned back in the early 1960-64 days, it was useful for teenagers. Not in the custom car world, but as daily drivers. so, why did I buy a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery? Well, originally, it had a 348 motor and was fast. That would have solved plenty of surfing road trips and hot rod cruising/racing. But, I ended up with a Flathead motor and a very reliable surf cruiser during my high school days. Well, it was a form of a station wagon without any rear seats. Custom additions? Do beauty trim rings count?
    upload_2020-5-24_3-48-32.png
    This 1956 Chevy station wagon went everywhere for “mucho” fun and memorable surfing. Thanks for the memories…

The advantage of a sedan delivery versus a station wagon was evident on a side street in south Orange County. The CHP rousted all station wagons (even with curtains for privacy) and made them move to the state park. They looked at my sedan delivery, could not see or hear anyone inside and left satisfied they did their duties. We were all chuckling at the scene, quietly, of course.
    upload_2020-5-24_3-49-20.png 1962-65 upload_2020-5-24_3-50-13.png
    upload_2020-5-24_4-2-59.png
    A 1946-48 Ford Woody at the new, Newport Beach Lido House Hotel.
    upload_2020-5-24_4-3-33.png The station wagon (woody wagons) used to be for big estates. Some huge hotels and resorts used them as local transportation for guests. In more modern times, a Newport Beach,CA resort brought back that idea for their guests.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  11. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

When I decided to build a kustom I looked for something no one else had....I found my car sitting behind a working garage....my first big show was a kkoa show at Gettysburg, Pa....one guy stood there looking at my car...turned to me and said ''I didn't know a wagon could look so kool''....that made my whole weekend....

Attached Files:

12. My old Buick, sold several years ago
    [​IMG]

13. Car Craft April 1956.

14. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

15. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

16. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

17. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

18. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

IMG_1044.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Your post made me think of the opening of one of my all time favorite songs:

“Two girls for every boy
    I bought a '30 Ford wagon and we call it a woodie
    Surf City, here we come
    You know it's not very cherry, it's an oldie but a goodie…”

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55, 31hotrodguy and jnaki like this.
  20. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

21. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

22. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

23. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

When I was a kid growing up we always had a wagon to pull the camper, haul stuff in and just for general use. We also had a regular car too but I always liked the wagon the best. I don't have a wagon right now but my son has a 65 Buick SportWagon with a factory 3 speed(now a 4 speed) that is a fun car that we really like.

24. Wardog

Wardog

My wife’s Galaxie.
    EFDDF169-7CA4-4E5F-9AE7-64F867269879.jpeg

Chavezk21, Fingers, Puka and 6 others like this.
  25. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

26. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the lyrics. All these years my tone deaf self thought it was a '34 Wagon not a '30 Ford wagon. But I always did know it was there's a "bad moon on the rise" not a "bath room on the right" by Creedence Clearwater Revival. :cool:

28. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

Here's a few pictures of my "54 Plymouth Suburban. I think it qualifies as a custom wagon. I've posted pictures in the past, But I feel it fits in this thread. Bob 100_0095.jpg 100_0099.jpg 100_0104.jpg