Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Charles Schulz must have been a car guy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 1, 2020.

1. [​IMG]

I also ran across this advertisement of the 1961 Ford Falcon. HRP

[​IMG]

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]
    Not sure about Peanuts 1?;)

Dave Mc, guthriesmith, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He was from Santa Rosa, just around the corner from Petaluma where American Graffiti was filmed. Coincidence?

4. 66gmc

66gmc

All I know for sure is that I suddenly feel the need to stop by my local ford dealer and test drive a new Falcon...

5. tjm73

tjm73

Maybe he just liked money and that was a decent paycheck for him? Gotta pay the bills.

6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

After he gained fame he moved to California, but he was from St. Paul. For a time he lived in an apartment above a drug store owned by one of my parent's friends.

I don't know that he was much of a car fan (I'm sure he was paid handsomely for the Falcon ads), but he was a big hockey fan.

7. SR100

SR100

Unfortunately, its fake, an internet meme. Here's another
    [​IMG]
    Real Peanuts cartoons are hand lettered, like the Falcon ad.

8. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

9. Thanks for the commercials mgtstumpy. I had never seen those and it is interesting to look back on the marketing of the time especially how Ford kind of threw some punches at the "other guys". :p Being in an industry that also does marketing to compete against our competition, we have had several discussions of whether you tell the customer that the competition lies about their claims or if you just show them by outperforming... :D

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

A friend from high school was from a Jewish family. They did all of the historical things that follow the traditions for the whole family. So, in order for the kids to feel at home along with their friends, a small Christmas tree and resulting presents were in the living room. That way, the kids would not feel left out of the Christmas celebration that most of their friends were doing, including Christmas songs. It does sound strange, but these kids had the coolest parents and welcomed all to their house, including music.

When that first song of Linus and Lucy came out, it was a fun dance song for all of us. You could do just about any move and still be in the swing of things. Picture a couple of kids doing dance moves in a 58 Impala, a 57 Chevy Bel Air, or when that era was gone, a 1965 El Camino on long trips back down to So Cal from San Jose during the Christmas season. It was music and dancing in the car that broke up those long drives.

When my wife and I had the 1940 327 powered Ford Sedan Delivery, we, too, had a great time when that song came on the tape player. Those memories come back when the song appears on the radio, TV or other places. Now, it is (and has been,) in an annual rotation of music, when decorating our tree in the seasons since 1965.

Jnaki

Even as grandparents driving our granddaughter around, when that song came on, everyone in the station wagon moved to the music in artistic dancing motions.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  11. The Peanuts comic strip was always one of my favorites in the local daily paper when I was growing up. It must have been true for my father as well because he painted the following image on the side of his dirt track sprint car in the late 60's.
    [​IMG]
    I always liked that car and wish I had a picture. It was my dad's love of racing and working on cars that got me interested in this hobby. I miss him.

12. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I think it's just a tie in with them being featured/sponsors of the Ford show television program.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Same toon , Different version
    Charley Brown.jpg

14. low down A

low down A

if it's on the internet you just know it's gotta be the truth

15. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I can't buy that logic because that would make Bill Cosby was a car guy because he was a spokesmen in advertising for Ford at one point.

16. 31Apickup

31Apickup

17. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I had an album of Cosby's that told about his experience with his Mustang. I can remember what he said when he opened the hood, " Piiiiippppessss, it's got piiiiippppssss, man ".

18. He wouldn’t be in so much trouble now if he had kept it in the garage.

3W JOHN, raven, ramblin dan and 10 others like this.
  19. cfmvw

cfmvw

Being a jazz fan, I always enjoy the unique bossa nova sound of Vince Guarldi, and he wrote and performed all the musical scores for the various Peanuts specials until he suddenly passed away in 1976. He became involved in "A Charlie Brown Christmas" when Lee Mendelson happened to hear Guarldi's "Cast Your Fate To The Wind" on the radio and tracked him down to discuss composing for the animated project with him and Charles Schultz. Two weeks later, Vince called and played "Linus and Lucy" over the phone for them.

20. only a block head would own a Ford....:D

3W JOHN, Truck64 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. cfmvw

cfmvw

Speaking of blockheads, I misspelled Guaraldi...the spell check skunked me on that one!

3W JOHN, ramblin dan and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. Ted, that's cold. HRP

3W JOHN and tb33anda3rd like this.
  23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And this comes from a man who owns GM boat anchors;)

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and tb33anda3rd like this.
  24. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

More like someone yanked the football away before you were about to kick it!