Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects cluster bearing fell out doing T5 swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by morecowbell, Jun 2, 2020.

1. morecowbell

morecowbell
    from colorado

hi all,
    starting on my 30 Model A flathead and T5 swap. I got most of the way done and was setting the engine in place when i noticed what appears to be the Transmission cluster bearing on the ground. Attached a pic of what I found on the ground under the engine. The engine is a 1951 8B out of a pickup.

I followed the instructions from Speedway. I did not remove the oil pan or the flywheel. There was no trans attached to the engine when I bought it. I did get the original pilot bearing out using the soaked bread method and i put the new bearing in after freezing it and lightly tapping it in with a socket and a rubber mallet (I didn't bash it in). Did I somehow knock the cluster bearing out when I installed the new pilot bearing? I have no idea where this goes or if I need it. Sorry for newb question. Thanks for any help.

- jason

Attached Files:

2. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Well the good news is you currently have a good pilot bearing and a new-to-you T5, and that bearing isn't from either of those!

So there wasn't a trans attached to the engine... If we assume this is a transmission bearing, where did it come from? Is there a separate trans it belongs to? Maybe it's the front driveshaft support bearing out of the torque tube?

Murphy32 likes this.
  3. morecowbell

morecowbell
    from colorado

THANK YOU! That's what it was. I did also o the open drive conversion and that bearing must have slipped off and I never noticed it. i was just panicking thinking I had knocked something loose.

thank you so much.

- jason

Murphy32 likes this.