Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical American Modern Insurance, higher prices?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopolds, Jun 1, 2020.

1. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I've had American Modern for quite a few years now. I recently sold my 49 F1, but my renewal for my 61 Dodge is actually quite a bit higher than BOTH cars were last year! I know they recently changed owners. Is this the reason for the higher cost? Anyone else have this happen to them when renewing their insurance?
    Going to look for quotes from other companies.

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Oh, and I've also had a customer of mine, with a brand new build, get turned down by American, after I recommended them to him. Again: new owners?????

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No new clients and jacked up rates to the current ones? Sounds like the new owners are not interested in insuring classic cars. Times change. Sounds like you need to.

Call Hagerty.

4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I liked them because they used to, maybe still have, "builder's insurance". Here in NJ, to change a title into your name, you MUST have insurance, as you MUST register it as soon as you change it into your name. Having "builder's insurance" is a cheap way to get around this, until you actually put the car on the road. It covers parts, too, while it's in your garage getting built.
    Funny thing is, my friend got turned down for "builder's", because his daily driver was considered too old, and might not be reliable, so he "could" drive his collector car. I guess the person taking the info doesn't know the definition of "builder's insurance", and the car was in a thousand pieces!

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I just renewed my Grundy coverage, it went up a little like it always does, but my coverage also automatically increased, so no complaints here.

7. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Hagerty has the "builder's insurance" also. I used it while building my roadster.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

I have American Modern through the National Corvette Museum and it did go up this year but not outrageously.