Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Manual Transmission Flushing / Cleaning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HuskerNation, May 31, 2020.

1. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

I pulled the plug on my stock 1937 Hudson transmission & initially it appeared pretty clean but then upon closer inspection I saw it wasn’t. So I’m wondering if anyone has a recommendation for flushing / cleaning out the trans before I put new gear oil back in her. So far she’s sat overnight with plugs out. Below are photo of drain pan from trans & the paper towel used to clean out the concave area of the two plugs:

Adjustments.JPG

IMG_1517.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I don't know what year they stopped using a wet clutch in Hudsons....The clutch used a fluid called Hudsonite oil....Just some info for you....

3. Someone else might chime in.

what I’ve done in the past with dirty manual transmissions , diffs and transfer cases is just multiple oil changes to flush out sludge n gunk.

mid everything else is working fine just change the fluid a few times.
    Find out what your unit takes IF it does take a unique fluid/ oil

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The Hudson clutch is what used the special fluid. I'm not sure, but I think the actual trans used a normal gear lube. I remember the clutch fluid came in a small, maybe 4-5 oz., can and all I ever saw was in the Permatex brand.

5. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

The clutch is a completely different bird & indeed uses “Hudsonite” oil in the actual clutch unit. A few guys sell it that I know of but I’m working on the actual transmission, not the clutch. Most use a 75w-90 & must be “yellow metal safe” (brass, bronze, copper) so typical guys stay with GL4 just to be safe. I have seen a few GL5 gear oils that state they are yellow metal safe, like Royal Purple Max Gear.

I actually have a couple of the old Permatex clutch fluid for the Hudson!

IMG_0760.JPG

6. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the trans uses a heavy weight gear oil I have used some diesel or kero as a flush.

Truckdoctor Andy, Truck64 and pitman like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

Keep in mind that a flush will flush the crap into places that you might not want it to go. I would take the trans out, take it all apart, clean, inspect, reassemble with new gaskets, and add new GL5 oil because they have it at walmart.

But I've been known to do stupid things, involving driving old cars.

8. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

I opted to just toss in some Wally World gear oil I had & then run her since she’s up on jack stands. Got her plenty warm then drained her right after I shut her off. Color looked good so I’ll just add the gear oil I bought for her & go with it that way. If I do a clutch down the road I’ll pull the trans & can go through her then. Thank guys!

dirty old man and squirrel like this.
  9. Wrench97

Wrench97

Epoxy a magnate to the top of the drain plug.

10. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the old 4 speed crash box in a '40 1 1/2 ton Ford I had I flushed it with diesel. Sold the truck a year or so after that so I can't say what the long lasting result was.

11. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Flushed with diesel too. Then a wand air blower in the hole blowing around then another flush with diesel and then oil and done.

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This would be cruel and unusual punishment, not to mention you'd likely never be able to re-install the drain plug.

Desoto291Hemi, Happydaze and egads like this.
  13. Wrench97

Wrench97

Done it quite a few times on older trans.

14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uhh, I was taking advantage of your mis-spelling of the word.
    mag·nate
    /ˈmaɡˌnāt,ˈmaɡnət/
    noun
    a wealthy and influential person, especially in business.

I usually epoxy or JB Weld a magnet in the drain plug on any vehicle I have.

Desoto291Hemi and egads like this.
  15. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Yah, I caught that right away. Funny... :D .
    Marcus...