Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical King pin clearance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Karl Grossman, May 30, 2020.

1. Karl Grossman

Karl Grossman

Bought a new front axle for a '40 Ford 1/2 ton. The new king pins seem to be fairly loose in the new axle. Had the spindles re-bushed and reamed for a nice kin pin fit. Is there a max. spec. for pin to axle clearance?

2. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is the axle new, or just new to you? There should be no play in the axle in the ideal world. You can get by with a little, but the wedge pin may make it so the bearing does not sit perfectly flat. The axle can be bushed to correct the issue.

3. pitman

pitman

Hand-press fit, pushing the lubed kingpin into its destination.

4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

The tolerances are pretty wide in most I've seen over 40 yrs.

Some are tight, some loose. As long as the wedge bolt tightens the pin into the axle that's what matters. And don't be afraid to set the wedge with a big hammer. Even if it's a bolt style. Hit it a good one, then tighten nut tight and smack again to seat it.

5. I had a similar problem on my model A on one side only. I think that the original builder did not tighten up the swedge pins tight enough and the result was increased wear. Since the front end was all chromed I did not want to take it out to be rebushed. I had some really thin shimstock, only a couple of thousands thick and I used it to take up the clearance. The pin fit nice and tight then and I tightened up the swedge pins very firm. It is really solid now.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  6. I did the same on an A axle, the right thickness shim to make the pin a slip fit then cut out a relief for the cotter pin, fit like a new one.

7. Karl Grossman

Karl Grossman

I have .010" difference between the axle hole and the pin.

37_Ford likes this.
  8. Road Angels

Road Angels

Spec's are all over the place I have 5 axles some new some not...and if the pin temp is warmer than the axle temp the pin will be tight...and the opposite would be true, forgeings will really expand and contract...also if you are using an off shore pin set they tend to be loose...USA made tend to be tighter..if you have ever looked down the pin hole on a really good axle you will see the machine work is anything but perfect...look for obvious wear and if none you should be fine..if the lock pin is not recessing into the axle then that is a good sign as well..after you drive for a while go back and check the lock pin...well thats what I like to call it

Karl Grossman likes this.
  9. Karl Grossman

Karl Grossman

It's a new off-shore axle and pin set.

10. Karl Grossman

Karl Grossman

Jim, It's a new axle. I have .010" difference between axle and pin diameter.

11. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since the axle is new, I would measure both the axle king pin bore and the pin and compare both to standard Ford dimensions. One, or both, could be undersized or oversized. Or could be a bad tolerance stack up. Ford specs nominally found are 0.812 pin and 0.814 axle. Axle can be heated and shrunk instead of bushing. But if it's new axle and found to be oversize spec I would see about having it replaced.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  12. He's not talking about the spindle bushings, he's talking about the axle/kingpin clearance. ;)

13. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

Did you get the axle from the Hoffman Group?

X38 likes this.
  14. Karl Grossman

Karl Grossman

Thanks Jimbo, Sounds like a solid way to go.

15. Karl Grossman

Karl Grossman

No, JohnnyLaw on Ebay.

16. alchemy

alchemy

Ugh! Johnny Law is Hoffman. You bought Chinese junk.

1946caddy and gimpyshotrods like this.
  17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I think I would return the axle and get a different one from a different supplier. Even though they're made overseas I've had really good luck to date with a So-Cal Forged axle or get an original dropped by Anson Axles.

18. The wedge bolts takes up the slop Between the king pin and axle bore.

19. If the king pin bores are over sized i would also be checking the perch bolt bores, no room for play there. I would replace it with a quality item. JW

20. That's a Ralph Nader. Do not use it.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yes but anything more than a couple thousands is too much. The lock bolt is loaded with vehicle weight and will wear/compress in time from road shock because it is made from soft material. I could hear the front tires making a different sound when the locks loosened up. I made tooling to bore and bush the axle to hand press fit in the car. Over ten years and have stayed tight.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would cut that one in half, and send it to the scrapper.

23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Be fun to try the Ford Twist on it :eek:

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With 2" thick Lexan shields.

upload_2020-6-2_15-17-2.jpeg

HemiDeuce likes this.