Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Pontiac For All Mankind...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

A Pontiac For All Mankind...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Sancho, warbird1, dwollam and 11 others like this.
  2. Lepus

Lepus

Ryan, I hope you find it. Was the tow line attached to the fin on the back of the car?

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I was wondering that too... I can't find a picture to confirm though... And there seems to be provisions on the bumper for attachment.

Sancho likes this.
  4. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Bitchin' history.
    I really get into stuff like this.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.

5. I was 12 years old when when I sat in front of the tube filled television set with rabbit ears adorned with tin foil and wondered if this could be possible, my grand dad said ,"Son we live in the greatest country in the would and Americans can do anything if they put their mind to it" HRP

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I'd really like to see the exhaust system ...

loudbang likes this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

One of the articles I found mentioned it had "straight exhaust" and was "obnoxiously loud." I mean... sounds pretty rad to me...

8. That is bitchin'. How the hell did they land that thing? Got wings like a chicken.

Jigger likes this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Here ya go:

There's also some more footage of the Pontiac in that footage...

10. Ryan, I forgot to thank you for bringing yesterday's launch to light for me. Just that side-note, from down-under. A good news story. Thanks also Stuart. Hope you are OK up there mate.
    These super-duty Pontiacs have the muscle to back how suitable they look in the company of period aeronautics. I see a Friday Art Show tribute post in some recent future...

pwschuh and Jigger like this.
  11. Wow, that footage..

Jigger likes this.
  12. Those guys were pioneers. Had fun doing it, I'm sure.

Spoggie, Jigger and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. The lifting body program,,,,,who would have imagined it would work .
    This program did a lot of groundwork for what would later be the shuttle .
    Also,,,in the old Six million dollar man show,,,,,,the crash footage was from a lifting body accident.

Those guys were giants,,,,,all of our astronauts and test pilots,,,,were giants walking in the land .
    It takes a special kind of man to volunteer for missions like that !

They are not all gone,,,,,,the giants are still around,,,,we just don’t hear about them anymore,,,,also,,,much of it is classified !
    Lol,,,,you have to have a need to know,,,,Lol

Tommy

warbird1, Spoggie and Lepus like this.
  14. This is a great Post, thanks Ryan! I got to watch the Spacex Dragon take off Saturday and what memories. I remember the test flight in '68 and the lunar landing in '69. I was 4-5 years old at the time but I remember. That was also when I became "Wide Track" aware. I remember these famous Pontiacs on the pages of Popular Mechanics or like magazines too. The '62 Catalina also fits into my top 10 favorite automobiles is this story completes a fantastic picture in a crazy and uncertain time in our history.

Why Pontiac over the other manufacturers? Maybe these explain it. Ha Ha!

1954_gm_firebird_1.jpg

gm_firebird_2.jpg

GM_Pontiac_Firebird_III.jpg

Firebird-III.jpg
    63_Farmer_Catalina.jpg

Desoto291Hemi, dwollam and Spoggie like this.
  15. Critical Mass

Critical Mass

There were a few lifting bodies in the program. The opening sequence to The Six Million Dollar Man TV show is actual footage of the crash of the X24A lifting body.

16. John Starr

John Starr

Back then I remember watching that show with my dad, a retired USAF fighter pilot from the 50s/60s era, and him saying "Oh yeah, the lifting body crash, I think that was maybe Jerry Gentry's crash footage, he actually survived that crash." I later found out it was not lifting body pilot Gentry, but Gentry's buddy Bruce Petersen who, though badly injured, did survive the crash and, just like Steve Austin... lost the use of one eye.

Desoto291Hemi and Spoggie like this.
  17. Hope this is not hijack- mods please delete if appropriate...

Speaking of 'obnoxiously loud', I have a pal who use to fire up and blast around the block on now-very distant Saturday afternoons in a '63 225 Electra sedan with the big 401? nailhead mill. I'm not even sure it had exhaust manifolds. We were kids. I remember one of this gang trying to run a car without head gaskets.
    This fellow with the Buick was, however, a cut above- handy with a wrench, moved on to racing. He will, in fact, do some work for me this coming week. And he had this old behemoth of an Electra flying.
    On the sidewalk we buckled over in laughter as this silly great big tomato- red hubcapless Buick again suddenly rolls into view on it's big bias plys , bellowing, hissing & wailing on another neighbour-infuriating lap. It was so loud it was absurd- it was hilarious. Quite the sight- '61-4 full-size GM's in gow mode.

BTW Interesting wheel/tyre combo on NASA car. Big tall tyres.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  18. John Starr ,

You’re right,,,,,,when I was a teenager I saw the guy that was in the crash on an episode of To Tell The Truth,,,,,he was wearing a patch over one eye .
    It was in the mid to late seventies,,,,,sometime during the run of 6 million dollar man .
    Boy,,,,when I was a kid,,,,I wanted to be an astronaut so bad !

Tommy

41rodderz likes this.