Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

2. rooman

rooman

Yes it is- the photo is from Riverside. The car is one of the four Z06 Corvettes raced there in the option's track debut in October of 1962. Bob Bondurant, Dave McDonald, Jerry Grant and Doug Hooper drove with Hooper taking the win in the Mickey Thompson entry which I presume is the car in the photo. In December of 1962 during a Z06 brake test at Sebring Hooper did the initial testing in the prototype Grand Sport and was scheduled to race it at Le Mans the following year but following the Daytona Continental 3 Hour race in early 1963 GM cancelled the racing program.

Roo

chryslerfan55 and scotty t like this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

It is.....;)

loudbang likes this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

5. Boodlum

Boodlum

Loud, I still would like to know what the car is following the Corvette. I once asked if it is an early prototype 427 Cobra but was told it is an Aston-Martin from the grill opening. I still don't think so. Yes it's right-hand drive but there were a few RHD Cobras. And yes the grill opening is not standard Cobra but there was at least one Cobra with Ferrari 250 GTO style grill openings for example. It's obviously running in a "big" class. Dunno but would like to know.
    [​IMG]
    This car in particular circa 1964 (factory team 427 Cobra prototype). The grainy photo above almost looks like radiator cut-outs in the hood and there appears to have been fresh metal work in the area of the grill opening.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  6. loudbang

loudbang

I think the consensus was it is a Healy. Back somewhere in here.

7. loudbang

loudbang

Here is a bigger shot. Look at the separation between the grill surround and the fender not a cobra line.

1a.jpg

8. rooman

rooman

As noted by loudbang when you last raised the subject the car was correctly identified as an Austin Healey. To be exact it is a mid 50's 100S version as seen in this photo.
    [​IMG]
    Incidentally the car in this photo is owned by Tony Parkinson, a former racer from my home town of Adelaide in South Australia.
    As for the Corvette in the photo I am reasonably certain that it is the Doug Hooper driven Z 06 that was the subject of recent discussion here which would make the photo one from the 1962 L.A. Times 3 Hour event at Riverside which Hooper won.

Roo

9. Boodlum

Boodlum

Yes you are correct - it was a Healey.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  10. Boodlum

Boodlum

Roo, your picture confirms it is a Healey.

chryslerfan55 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  11. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Hey Roo,
    The 57 is an injected 283 hp 4 spd car, the 60 was a factory big brake aluminum head car and the 61 was a pretty nice non stock maroon with metallic paint but if they offend you perhaps the moderators can delete them if they are deemed too off topic for this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

The '60 may be a production FI and big brake car although the eBay seller Gateway Classic Cars has not produced any documentation or given any proof of that. But we'll give it some latitude and allow that it may be. But it ain't no factory aluminum head car. The aluminum heads intended for the 1960 315hp FI engine was still born. Only maybe 2-3 prototype sets were made and never made it on a car that can be documented. No paper work authorizing the installation of such heads in production or on a production car after the fact (Shop Order).

13. Deuces

Deuces

I asked a question about the aluminum headed 283 some years ago and I thought there was a recall on those heads due to porosity issues....

loudbang, 31hotrodguy and 427 sleeper like this.
  14. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

No recall. They never made it to production. The aluminum head proposal was abandoned early in it's development. If there had been a recall there would be a Service Bulletin notifying Dealers. Ever seen a Technical Service Bulletin with that in it? Happened in 1958 recalling the full size Chevies with air ride suspension. I bet someone can find a bulletin notifying Chevy Service Departments about that. Jack Podell a Rochester FI rebuilder has had one of the pairs of aluminum heads for sale for years. Salty price. Pricey momento/collectible. Risky investment to attempt install and run.

chryslerfan55, enloe and 31hotrodguy like this.
  15. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I've said it before and I'll repeat myself, all Corvettes are hot rods,
    some more than others. V8s, manual trans', various induction and
    gearing. Thankfully, they didn't come from the factory with black
    paint and flames, straight axles and pie crust slicks that'll never see
    the light of day at Indianapolis Raceway Park, or O'Reilly Raceway Park.
    A butchered old racecar isn't necessarily a hot rod, but it's still a butchered
    Corvette.

You've got some likes on your comment so I assume these fellows agree
    with you. Look through most any thread featuring photos. Every one of
    them has pics of cars that don't fit in. Start a campaign, but be fair and
    hit every thread. If I were a mod I'd be merciless. Until then, bring on
    the stock "hot rods".

Attached Files:

16. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

I agree with your take on the aluminum heads for 1960, but it is interesting to
    see several cars that exist with the heads. I saw one at Mecum several years ago
    that was equipped with the 315 heads and all documentation stated that they
    came from the factory. I guess if you can convince a buyer that this option
    existed he will pay stupid money.

17. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

18. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

That's pretty interesting. You saw paper work that designated the aluminum heads? May I ask what sort of documents were presented?

enloe, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

Somewhere in the HAMB I have posted photos of an ALL aluminum yes and the heads, 283 FACTORY used in US ARMY M-113 armored personnel carriers. There is a thread on the all aluminum 283 here somewhere but it was some time ago and I can't remember in which thread.

catdad49, Bowtie Coupe, enloe and 3 others like this.
  20. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

This article indicates the M-113 was powered by Detroit Diesel 212 shaft horsepower, V-6.

https://www.armytimes.com/military-...m113-tank-has-been-on-the-move-since-vietnam/

And yes there was an all aluminum 283. But that never made it to production. They built all kinds of neat things that never went to production.

21. loudbang

loudbang

NOT the early ones they used gasoline and was one of the problems they went up in smoke too easily. Like I said SOME DID use an aluminum 283 the article is here on the HAMB someplace. WITH testimonials from people that drove them.

And we did all the yes/no discussion way back then and the article has PHOTOS of them.

catdad49, Bowtie Coupe, enloe and 3 others like this.
  22. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I rode in one of those in 69 at beautiful Ft. Polk Louisiana AKA "jungle land" everybody that went there knew where there next stop would be.

Pat

24. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

I should have used the word (description) rather than documentation. Sorry!

loudbang likes this.
  25. jimdillon

jimdillon

Dan and Dave I get a chuckle out of some of the stuff that is claimed to be "factory", including the aluminum heads and the big block hoods on small block 67 Vettes. The important part of the aluminum head experiment in my opinion is that the "new" 283 iron versions were updated to flow much better(with larger valves) and became the double hump heads I believe.

For the time period the double hump heads were pretty decent heads, IMO.

26. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

27. loudbang

loudbang

28. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Bowtie Coupe, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  29. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

30. loudbang

loudbang

1957 Chevrolet Corvette Airbox Fuel Injected COPO

hot28 1957 Chevrolet Corvette Airbox Fuel Injected COPO.JPG