Register now to get rid of these ads!

awesome 60's drag car!!! (pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modelacitizen, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

2. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I believe that's correct. They were trying for a trophy that day and they thought they'd have a better shot at it if they bumped their class. I think it worked that day. LOL My uncle will correct me if I'm wrong. Nuke - we are waiting.:D

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

He removed a Packard to install a Chrysler? I took a 392 out to install a 352 Packard. Do you think I may have read the directions wrong? One3 picture is of the Packard on the stand with the 392 that came out behind it.

Attached Files:

4. Nuke-at-nite

Nuke-at-nite

My favorite Packard-powered drag car was the roadster of Tom DeLon in Portland, Oregon. I spoke to him on the phone a few years ago, maybe he is still around. He had shoved the engine to the rear and had it bored to a gawd-awful 422 cubic inches. In 1960 it ran well into the ten's at 130+ mph. He and a friend were preparing a manifold and a 6:71 huffer, but ended up selling the car without ever trying the blower.

5. solid

solid

Super cool!!!!!!!!thanks for posting.

6. Nuke-at-nite

Nuke-at-nite

By the time the model A with the Packard engine was running in the 12's, we had $900 in it. We were penniless, but enthusiastic, though never expecting to win anything. The car did run as a B/A at one time or another, but a local competitor was running a very beautiful B/A that he had sunk $6,000 into and there were times we did not feel like running against him. We got our butts kicked more often than not, but had we put another 5 grand into the car things might have been different.

7. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

900$ budget and an intake manifold made out of a cut-up driveshaft. WOW

8. super cool thread, heres a bump, maybe someone out there knows the whereabouts of this old racer!

9. I just found this thread, no shame in bumping it. That car rules, I hope it was/is found

10. boutlaw

boutlaw

Bump again, that is Backyard Badass, and is exactly what I remember seeing in the 60s, backyard built hot rods, gassers and altereds, 7 inch slicks on steel wheels and multi carbs. Love the car, essence of hot rodding back in the day. Built not Bought...