Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Original 555 Triple Nickel Roadster Body FOUND!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Mar 11, 2020.

1. belair

belair

Glad it came to someone who will do right by the car.

loudbang, Thor1, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Not sure you’ve seen the cars I’ve built... but there’s those, plus the historic drag car I currently own, and drive... so I get it, maybe even more so than most.
    Restoring this car is a losing proposition on many levels. Selling it to someone who doesn’t have the means to properly restore it to perfection, is worse than preserving its history in a period hot rod project. It’s easy for some guy with a Rodders Joirnal subscription to armchair quarterback these sorts of discoveries... believe me, I know.

1947knuck, catdad49, egads and 13 others like this.
  3. Exactly!

4. bchctybob

bchctybob

I know how you feel. My Austin gasser is in a state of suspended animation due to that “historical car” factor. When I got it I had a definite vision for it but since I’ve had it out in public and it got a little coverage in TRJ I’ve decided to keep it as found, at least for now. At least it’s safe and secure.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  5. Dude I love it. A reasonable facsimile, in a nod to what it was .. in YOUR mind .. is perfect.

Thinking of the alternative -->
    - Not being bought by you.
    - Scrapped/continued deterioration
    - rat rodded, or not ..

.. either way it would've most likely been forever unknown to the world at large. They threw it away guys !! To be forgotten.

I sure hope you keep it, & move forward. It deserves your celebration. I can't wait. Amongst others here. Do it !

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  6. adam401

adam401

Great find. The restorers had their chance. Id have no problem building a hot rod from that body. The history is documented and isn't that what really matters? Do cars need to stay in a state of suspended animation? Does a new chapter in a cars history negate the significance of its past? I like to think if it as a well diserved retirement for a battle proven roadster.

7. VonDutch51

VonDutch51
    from Virginia

I'm confused, if this is the original then why in the other thread and in TRJ was it stated that the body was too far gone to reuse? If that wasn't the case why would that be said? Perhaps I'm ignorant (probably so:)) but other than the roll bar holes what is all this based on?

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's more than the roll bar holes...there are other details too...

Misinformation, I mean the story Sam posted says a deal could not be reached with the fella who bought it in 66 in 1992 so perhaps the story to RJ was written to effect the body was to far gone rather than a sale that was to pricey...unfortunate but sometimes vintage car sales aren't always fair or pleasant or even totally correct due to numerous elements...

Here's the story Sam posted that I am basing my statements above on...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...dster-body-found.1187187/page-2#post-13482265

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    brady1929, chryslerfan55, Tim and 2 others like this.
  9. 51box

51box
    from MA

This car is so awesome and historic, I’d be torn on which way to go with it also. Great score

Stogy likes this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't wait to see what Sam comes up with...

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

Right on!!!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  12. "The way the writers tell the story" is something my uncle said over and over - and why he stopped discussing anything about the early Capital Auto Club -Thunderbolts activities........wishing you the best with whatever you decide.

13. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

This Model A body is part of the car that made history. A lot of the car is no longer here. The car has been restored/recreated twice and neither time did the body get used. I am not saying that this body is not significant in history but it sure can be used in many ways in the future. I would build something that can be driven and enjoyed; give the body another chapter of history. If someone thinks we need another tribute 555 car, go right ahead and build it. It has been shown that any Model A body is a starting point.

14. Budget36

Budget36

By my untrained eye, it looks like the cover snaps are not like the original on the front of the DS door.

Todd553, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing to consider is this Hotrod/Racer had two makeovers And a post race history even if it was sitting in a barn or garage.

I revisited the OP and the Gas Tank top does not have the second gen notch that existed. Perhaps it was filled or swapped out for another as it's obvious there was a bunch of parting out going on despite the major chunk still surviving.

Maybe there was 2 Tank Tops and Sam may have got the Original 55 Top which was not notched making the cool factor greater perhaps...IF there was in fact 2

One other thing is the Light Blue interior shot is being compared to the Now Body that has seen the second gen mods so there is bound to be some differences
    Such as the extra hole for the Rollbar brace...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  16. The snaps are the same.

1947knuck and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. I believe this to be the first tank top...

egads, loudbang, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  18. belair

belair

As long as it stays a hot rod... . Cars, like us evolve and change over time. It's past will always be a part of what it is, but it doesn't have to be limited by it's past. Kind of like us.

Blues4U, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  19. I will totally build this in a way that did not alter it beyond what it was. I would even bend up a rollbar to match. Keep it simple. Have some fun with it until someone wants to pony up and restore it or reunite it with the right chassis. That said, how much do we believe now about the other car if they didnt even use the body?

20. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

It would sure be cool if the original chassis showed up.

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool Beans. I'm going out on the end of a thin branch and say that since the "original" or what was left of it is "restored" aka in existence. Building a rod out of it that plays close homage to it's origin and passes the casual 50 foot look works. Even though it is the original body it will never again be the original car without the chassis it raced on. That doesn't mean that it can't live and maybe street driven with the spirit of the original as seen in the old magazine photos. Only those who are actually in the know will know the difference anyhow.

22. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Looks to me like the locations of the screws or Dzus fasteners connecting the cowl top to the sides, the cowl side louver locations, and louver counts (9 over 8), are exact matches between current and original photos.

23. Dragway42

Dragway42

EVL401, RustyBullet, Stogy and 15 others like this.
  24. Dragway42

Dragway42

And here are two more photos of the car, during the 1960-1964 era when Bob Johnson and Don Morgan owned the car in Amarillo, in case you haven't seen them.
    Triple Nickel - Car Show.jpg
    and
    Triple Nickel - Colorado.jpg

Enjoy!

EVL401, RustyBullet, Stogy and 19 others like this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

26. I think the "soul" of the body would be very happy if it was built as a driven hot rod, styled after the original. Much more useful than a museum/display piece.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    EVL401, Stogy, Blues4U and 4 others like this.
  27. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It may have been covered earlier in the thread and I just missed it, but why/how did the original body get separated from the rest of the car?

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  28. Road Angels

Road Angels

Nice save of a piece of history...do your own thing it is yours to enjoy

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a Bttt for a most interesting acquisition... @SamIyam have you made any progress on the 555...no pressure...hope all is well...;)

brady1929, harpo1313, Sancho and 2 others like this.