Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Saving a '58 Ford Panel Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lancer, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Lancer

Lancer

They are after market 16” wheels. Tires are 235/65R16. I picked the wheels and tires up off Facebook marketplace from a guy going to white walls on his truck.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Lancer

Lancer

The Panel Truck Rescue part 2 is up now. Enjoy!!

sgtlethargic likes this.
  3. Can't believe I missed this thread. Great work on saving the ol' girl!

Lancer likes this.
  4. Lancer

Lancer

Well, its a busy place around here. Thanks for the kind words. I have a few more things to sort out and then its on to a new owner for the old gal. Fuel tank issues are the main thing I'm dealing with. I had it hot tanked but the old gas, which was a solid brink inside must have had some left over that has come apart. Keeps plugging up the pickup. I have another tank for it, I may swap it out for that one. But, I need to pull it back out and investigate first.

5. Lancer

Lancer

Working on the Part 3 video now, since she's finally a driver. Still need to pull the gas tank and clean it out, again, I have boat tank in there for now which works. Drove it around for an hour last weekend, the longer I drove it around, the better it ran. I have a guy coming tomorrow to look at it, it may go home with him.

6. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way cool truck and rescue story. Thanks for sharing!

Lancer likes this.
  7. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Went to take a look with a buddy who was buying the same type of truck that belong to an old guy who use it for his plumbing business. When my buddy asked what the price was, the old guy said, "well are you thinking old truck price or antique truck price?" My buddy replied, "old truck price". The old guy said 800.00 dollars CASH and I mean CASH, like in dollars bills and coins. Well my buddy went to the bank and withdrew 800.00 in cash, all in twenties and came back and paid the man and I follow him home, no plates no insurance, nothing. Too my dismay my buddy just drove that truck into the ground after about of 5 years of driving it back and forth to work, no respect.

Lancer likes this.
  8. Lancer

Lancer

I'd rather see them driven, even driven hard, than sitting and rusting away. At least it had a use, they can always be fixed. What year did he buy that for $800.

9. FYI, on the plates..as long as they are not used on another vehicle you can register them to that vehicle in Ca. DMV might drag their feet a bit, but that is what I did for my Model A. I found a set of 1930 plates, had DMV check and nope not used so I got my car registered with them.

Mike

P.S. great truck and love what you were able to do it to fix her up.

10. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

About 15 years ago.

11. Lancer

Lancer

Part 3 is up on the tube. Lots of trouble shooting on the struggle bus.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  12. It also has what I believe are the stock bucket and jump style seats......in ANY brand of panel that's hard to come by.

Lancer likes this.
  13. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

Sorry if i want to watch youtube i will go there

14. Lancer

Lancer

Yes it does and they are pretty rare.

15. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Greetings Lancer!! Nice save of a cool truck!!.... you must not get much rain in Modesto ....here in the north east sitting ( or actually sinking into) top soil like that for that length of time would have caused the bottom half of the vehicle to return to the earth!!

16. Lancer

Lancer

Yes. Very dry. Desert like. Very low humidity. The Central Valley is like a bowl surrounded by mountains.

17. Budget36

Budget36

Tuesday was a mess;)

18. Lancer

Lancer

Yep. We do get rain. Just not all year long. Last week the winds tore up a lot of stuff. We lost four trees on our street.

19. Budget36

Budget36

No kidding, I work nights, coming home at 4 am dodging trees on the highway out of riverbank.

20. Lancer

Lancer

My parents still live in Riverbank, have since 1977, thats where I grew up. They had a structure built behind their garage out of 2x4s and covered with corrugated sheet metal for a roof. Well that decided it didn't want to be in the backyard anymore and flipped over the house into my parents truck. Thankfully it just scratched up the paint and didn't do more damage. The four trees that went down on my street all fell on cars, so that sucks bad. Some interesting weather patterns lately.

21. 37gas

37gas

It's good you can trust your wife to fallow you with out any brake lights, mine would have been the first one to run into the back of me and tell me my brake lights don't work.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. Lancer

Lancer

Oh man.

23. Lancer

Lancer

I've been asked about the master cylinder adaptor many times so I'll post the info here. The part isn't cheap, but it worked perfectly and the adjustable rod made it a breeze to dial in the new dual MC pedal position. They aren't a sponsor or anything, I paid full price, but I like to call out good products when I find them. https://nespeedshop.com/products/1957-62-ford-f100-dual-master-cylinder-adapter

24. Lancer

Lancer

[​IMG]
    Up for grabs. Hit me up. This needs a new home. Runs, drives, stops. Clean title.

25. That 223 six is not a high performance engine, they didn't race them in NASCAR or anything, but they are rock-solid reliable and hard to kill.

26. uglyjesus

uglyjesus
    from Ohio

Im still running the 223 in my 59

27. Lancer

Lancer

Great little engines no doubt

28. Lancer

Lancer

The little panel is off to its new owner down in Oceanside California. He's very excited about it. He said he'd keep me updated on its progress and I'll surely post the updates here.

Attached Files:

29. duecesteve

duecesteve

Would have been a cool truck to haul a trailer with a gasser on it !

30. Lancer

Lancer

Yep, that would be cool.