Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Old Timer's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stubbsrodandcustom, Feb 17, 2020.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Born in 1963 and now an “old timer” ? Ouch, ouch and OUCH !!!!! :D

2. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

As old timers, we look back into the time capsule for something to brighten our days during the “locked in place” scenario. Listening to my wife’s stories about her Junior HS and High School days lead up to our meeting in college, but that was another story line. I was looking into the movies I had taken and wished I had sound to go with my films of our 1958 Impala racing during those times. If it wasn’t in the class eliminations, it was usually uncapped and the sound was pretty cool. Our short down pipes were welded in place directly below the exhaust manifold.
    upload_2020-5-31_4-21-21.png Standing in this Lions Dragstrip tower side location, near the white ambulance, gave me a ringside seat. It allowed me to see the Impala in action, but, also, get the full effect of 348 open exhaust power on acceleration. You guys/girls with 348 motors know the sound. This filming spot gave me the full effect of the sound and speeding Impala on full acceleration. (also a huge smile on my brother's face as he zipped by me)

Impala tower side

The improvement with the installation of the C&O Stick Hydro was the best thing that was done on the Impala. Now, there was no reason I could not get in front of anyone by at least a car length in any encounter from the start. The Stick Hydro plus the 4:11-4:56 gearing made the starts seem like a jet on blast off. So, the sound was in our heads ever since.

Sure, it was not the powerful sound of the 671 supercharged 292 SBC motor in our Willys Coupe, but it was the sound of a daily driver and sometimes race car. (The uncapped outlets made a nice, quiet, forested street in Big Bear Lake area, quite nice, during our escapades of our teenage Christmas vacations.)

Dear Mr. Fantasy

Jnaki

upload_2020-5-31_4-22-26.png
    This was the look that teenagers wanted for their cars. But one had to have deep pockets during that era.

This recollection gets supported every time I see a story about a 58 Impala. Or, those past hot rod days, while wondering about our stay at home scenario with my wife all of these past months (and probably to the end of the year.) For us, it is like being told what to do when we were sick. Our moms used to say stay in bed, drink plenty of liquids, here is some Chicken Soup and Noodles.

So, we did and got well soon. But these days, someone (CA gov + federal rules)allows us to still follow the rules and hopefully have contributed to everyone getting along in these troubling times. Besides, who wants to go to the beach with 30k other people? It is not worth it, as the beach (as will all other "Cool Roadside Attractions") will still be there after the crisis is over. What is the rush?

Memories, reading, and writing stories are a great way to pass the time away, while having to stay “locked in place.” It is inexpensive and helps with our psychological outlook on others in this crisis. Remember to tip your delivery people well, as they are front line helpers, too.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...picture-thread.228509/page-1841#post-11981093

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Sonofabob likes this.
  3. also born in 48'.....grew up with and around circle track people from the 50's 60's and 70's too , i guess, larger than life guys(from my perspective, anyways)...lot of em' were consistent winners wherever they ran, and it didn't take long to become a big part of my world. The stories and the bullshit sessions were endless, and universal, by extension hotrods, detroit iron of all descriptions and everything in the motorhead life came with it.............by default, now i'm old, my circle of friends is small and close, alot are gone, more are going all the time it seems. They pretty much have all "been there, done that"......We don't seem to bench race or BS as much as we used to.....sad...I miss it now more I think as the clock ticks.

Montana1 likes this.