Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Crude modification picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adam401, Oct 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adam401

adam401

scrubby2009 likes this.
  2. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yea...but it's got drilled and slotted rotors...so it MUST be all good..!

Mike

3. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

IMG_7520.JPG IMG_7521.JPG IMG_8593.JPG

I think this qualifies. The chop on my sedan didn’t have one spot that measured the same. The b-pillars didn’t line up, neither did the body lines at the back of the quarter windows. It was gas welded and covered in bondo.

Also the whole back panel was brazed in.

I would love to be able to look back in time and see when a few guys decided to chop a 32 Tudor. It wasn’t pretty, but they got it done.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Baron, Stogy, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Mvc-002f.jpg Mvc-006f.jpg

Found this '32 Vicky cut in half and on its side next to a stone wall to hide it from view from a neighbor. It is in Australia now. Bob

Baron, Jet96, mgtstumpy and 2 others like this.
  5. chargin03

chargin03

You had better get a tetanus shot before you work on some of this.

loudbang likes this.
  6. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

the term "professional" only means somebody has been paid to do the said job , and has nothing to do with actually being any good at it ,,,,
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

blkarw, Penetrator, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF8383.JPG Study that for a while, try to figure out what happened.

loudbang likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

43.jpg It is what is left of a Type 43 Bugatti wheel with all the spokes broken or cut off and drilled to accept a Wide Five Ford wheel. May make a clock out of it some day. Bob

Hollywood-East and loudbang like this.
  9. redo32

redo32

On another thread a guy wants to know why it backfires on #7 after he installed his modified headers to clear newly installed power steering. He received the expected reaction from HAMB members and after professing his education and intelligence and thick skin, he left the HAMB after being a member for 10 years. True, just happened.
    [​IMG]

10. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I seriously thought he was joking. Poor dude.

-Abone.

loudbang, olscrounger and trollst like this.
  11. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I didn't see the other thread or the original post but are you sure this is real? No one can be this numb.

loudbang and trollst like this.
  12. redo32

redo32

13. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The way I read it, the guy mocked something up to see if the basic strategy had merit, intending to do it over more appropriately if it worked satisfactorily. Many seem to have missed that.

14. olds vroom

olds vroom

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  15. redo32

redo32

Ned, I think you're giving him more credit than he deserves. Most of us would have known that would not work before we spent the time to build and install. Then he came here to ask why it wouldn't run right before he dropped this monstrosity on us.

loudbang, Bandit Billy, X38 and 2 others like this.
  16. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

loudbang likes this.
  17. A clinic on what not to do with a car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

While I have to admit, that’s the worst “ header” I have ever seen, some magazine did a study on bent headers a few years back. That study really surprised me! They took a 350 Chevy on a Dyno and installed a set of headers and made a pull. Then they started “ beating on those headers. Everytime they would put a dent in the headers they would make a pull. In order to get a reduced horsepower number, at all, they had to almost beat the header flat! Then it was just a little decrease! One time after putting a dent in the header, they got an increase in horsepower! It really made me wonder what we even worry about the exhaust system! Lol. But it’s hard to argue with tests and results!

Bones

High test 63, Ned Ludd and loudbang like this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wonder what effect "Tuned" headers would have in that test, always thought equal length tubes made a huge difference. Bob

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  20. This thread is not intended for modern godawful work, but to document how it was done by guys with limited funds and tools but with a passion to build and race!

Please stop posting modern poorly built garbage!

clem, adam401 and The37Kid like this.
  21. 33Doll

33Doll

I love This Thread!
    But why does it have to be so black and white with Nostalgia? I like to blend things together, take old ideas, or mods, and combine them with my ideas, or things people have learned over the years to make things a little more safe, or cleaner. Thats what is cool about Hotrodding... color outside of the lines of the box. I get it that some people want to keep their parameters within a certain time frame or slice in the past, and that’s fine, but to completely bash and put anything outside of their way of thinking down, is just plain narrow minded and ignorant.

Heres my example:
    My dad built our 33 Ford back in the 70s and he did things the way “he”
    thought was best, but after talking to several people, and looking at the way certain things were done, I decided to change it a little bit but still keep the “spirit” of how he did it, and I think I’m doing a good job at that!

Before:
    IMG_9634.JPG IMG_9633.JPG IMG_9640.JPG IMG_9642.JPG

After: (Still in Progress)
    IMG_9660.JPG IMG_9665.JPG IMG_9740.JPG Adjustments.JPG IMG_9757.JPG IMG_9770.JPG IMG_9775.JPG

True, I don’t have as crude tools as they did in the past, but it is still being built in my suburban garage, and done mostly by hand. I just have an advantage with an air compressor, a small mig welder, and air tools. Its not my fault we advanced as a society.

Thanks Enjoy!

loudbang likes this.
  22. Well if this comment is directed to what I posted I am sorry for your misunderstanding. That is my HJ. I call it Idiosyncrasy. It was built like this in Long Beach over 35 years ago and the fiberglass frontend that is in my avatar is a vintage 1960s Rich Venza piece that I found in a front yard here in North East Ohio. I would not consider this to be modern.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  23. Bud Hinman's championship winning Bug (Yes the same Bud Hinman who's hot rod was found and put back on the road by Eli English)

Check out design and layout of the rear suspension.
    A split buggy spring one left one right, with a dead perch on the left and a slider on the right.

As the car enters the turn and weight is transferred the springs flatten out. The left spring pulls the rear end housing to the left. The slider on the right gets more travel with less friction.
    The end result is with the rear shifting to the left the car turns quicker in the corner.
    upload_2020-6-2_18-18-42.png upload_2020-6-2_18-19-40.png
    upload_2020-6-2_18-10-46.png upload_2020-6-2_18-11-30.png

Bud's roadster as found
    upload_2020-6-2_18-24-42.png

Bud back behind the wheel
    upload_2020-6-2_18-26-19.png

Bud with the bug
    upload_2020-6-2_18-28-55.png

I am pound to say I have been friends with Bud for about 25 years, I think I was 15 or so when I first meet him.

High test 63, thintin, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  24. You were kind of in the wrong place at the wrong time.

As I said @adam401's intent was document homemade low dollar builds and problem solving form the golden age of hot rodding and racing.

There are several posts of total dipshitness- modern cars with wood screws used as cotter pins, bird shit welds on 4 wheel drives, the list goes on.
    Things that had absolutely nothing to with hot rods or racing.

The post of mine was about the fourth or fifth time of asking them to stop.

adam401 likes this.
  25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Well, Bob, I kinda thought so too! I didn’t drop mad bank on these iron anchors for nothing! Or maybe I did! I always thought a good flowing exhaust meant horsepower! But theses tests kinda shook my foundation!

Bones EBCE7557-126C-4CD9-B2AE-E526D0A71662.jpeg

WilliD and loudbang like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BHRShop3.jpg

BHRShop2.jpg

:rolleyes:...I am in no ways a Hotrod suspension genius and this may have been very typical back in the days of early Nose Up Drag Racing...and lived to tell the Story...

I'd be interested to know more of the history and an honest opinion of hitting Henrys best with a somewhat uncommon twist in direction...

Credit to Photographer, Owner

27. Proof that there is a historic precedent and square tubing in headers can be well done.
    Yes those others were poorly built, but be careful how much and what you mock!

From Hop Up June 1952
    upload_2020-6-4_18-38-19.png upload_2020-6-4_18-40-11.png

Stogy, adam401 and Jet96 like this.
  28. Check out the linkage on this vintage Offy Triple I just picked up. I am not sure if its crude or ingenious
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Stogy, Baron, mgtstumpy and 1 other person like this.
  29. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I think that linkage is ingenious with care taken to make it. It looks like it was brazed together square and straight and has rounded lever ends. Chromed up it would be pretty wild.

Max Gearhead likes this.
  30. That is what I love about the real deal home built hot rods, oval track and drag cars of the bygone era. People went afraid to try something out and built it!

If it didn't work you took it off and tried something else!

That is what led me away from oval track racing (which my family had been involved in since pre WW II) when I was in high school (late 90s) and into period correct hot rods, people were building.
    Oval track racing had turned into a bunch of spoiled brat little rich kid who never held a wrench whose parents wrote checks to make them faster.

Now I find myself going returning to oval track racing with the true vintage cars because of what period correct hot rodding has become. However instead of little rich kids it is rich old farts with gold chains and pinky rings who never read a Hot Rod or Rod & Custom in study hall, can't spin wrenches and couldn't get enough billet from Boyd 25 or 30 years ago who just write a check to have what they consider a Traditional hot rod then preach how all the young guys (who talked to every old timer they could studied every early Hot Rod, Car Craft, Rod & Custom and every built in period hot rod, custom and race car they could find.) were arrogant, ignorant, and wrong!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    TrailerTrashToo, Baron and adam401 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.