Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1935 wheels on a 30 Victoria

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Meahdog, May 30, 2020.

1. Meahdog

Meahdog

Hey Guys, looking for some advice here. I have a 1930 stock Victoria and I'm thinking of putting on some smaller rims on it. I was thinking 1935 stock Ford rims. Does anyone know if 35 rims would bolt on the stock Modle A ? Thanks , Fred

2. The '35 wire wheels will bolt right on the stock Model A with mechanical brakes.

Charlie Stephens

3. Chances are you will have a lot more space between the top of the 16 inch tire and the fender arches. Might look goofy on your stock Victoria.

4. Fred should go over to fordbarn.com and ask is anyone has pictures of a stock Model A with 16 inch tires. I think they will look fine. The rim diameter is smaller but the tire is larger.

Charlie Stephens

Hnstray likes this.

5. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

It will bolt up fine and look ok. The 16's are much cheaper and more plentiful than either the 19's or the 21's that are stock. Around here,at least, you see many more people driving around on the 35 Ford wheels than you will the stockers. Only the purest of the restoration guys run stock tires and wheels. Good luck.

HunterYJ likes this.
  6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I would prefer to see it with 16" Kelseys and a dropped axle.
    But I think it's a good idea.

HunterYJ likes this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had to lighten the photo up a bit as it was overcast when I took it in Poulsbo last September. I don't think a stock Model A with 35 wires and no lowering looks goofy at all. Took a second glance before I caught it when I was taking photos at the show that day. IMG_8120 (3).JPG IMG_8118.JPG IMG_8118 (2).JPG

Some of the local Model A club guy run the 35 wires as their "tour" tires on cars that are more for fun than winning awards. Super nice cars but they have outgrown the trophy hunting thing. A bit better ride and less costly.

8. 2935ford

2935ford

What about stud length?

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

35 Wire's hub is about twice as thick as the A wheel's hub I have to compare.
    I couldn't stick my future hose hanger on the hub to check but I think there is plenty of stud there. I didn't torch the hub it came that way from a moving sale. DSCN9422.JPG DSCN9423.JPG DSCN9424.JPG
    The A wheel that I didn't take a photo is pretty thin though.

10. adam401

adam401

They bolt right on with zero problem. I've done it and drove it.
    I used the later lug nuts that arent closed on the ends like the model A. Necessary? Not sure but I felt better about it.

11. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Bolt right on and you can find a lot of tire sizes. Measure your tire height and look at Coker Tire and you can see the height of the different 16" tires. My avatar is running 5:50 16's but has a 4"dropped axle, my pickup has 6:00 16's on the front and 7:00 16's on the back with stock suspension. shop2r.jpg

HunterYJ and harpo1313 like this.
  12. mvee33

mvee33

The 35 wires on a Model A look great. I had them on my 29 tudor, but the steering effort at low speed was a pain due to the increased front tire width, and the top speed was less due to the reduced rear tire diameter. I did have 21 inch wheels.
    I would go for the narrowest front tires, and rear tires close to your 19 inch tire diameter. Consider reversing the spring eyes to close the fender gaps. 1933/34 17 inch wheels are another option to consider.
    Love them Vickys

HunterYJ likes this.