Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question about QC horsepower ranges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by draggin49, May 29, 2020.

1. draggin49

draggin49

I’m in the market for a stronger rear to handle my new motor . I was looking into potential various brands of QC’s that could safely handle the horsepower of the my new motor . I was looking at some of the Winters QCs like the nostalgia and a couple other models but couldn’t find anything relating to what power range each model was meant for .
    If I don’t go QC another option might be to do a 1957 Ford 9”
    Motor made 350hp / 360 ft lbs on the engine dyno .
    I’m new to QC’s so I am not familiar with which models are good for what power range . Just want to try and have an adequate setup , and not go with something that isn’t gonna hold up and meant for lower HP levels.I usually try and go with rears /transmissions that are good for a bit more power than my engine makes , rather be on the safe side to try and keep the car reliable .
    Car is running 700x16 bias ply tires so I don’t think those tires will hook hard and create a lot of shock on drivetrain like a wider more sticky tire would.
    Look forward to input from those with experience . Thanks!

2. squirrel

squirrel

I think the only concern would be if you're planning to go drag racing with sticky tires....

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

We made about 600 hp in our dirt late model and ran a quick change probably wouldn't have lasted ten minutes on the pavement with slicks ,but in the dirt from a rolling start lasted a season and got freshened up with new bearings and seals. Gears looked great after 3 seasons.
    With those tires you are running that are probably harder than a minister's di**. You should be fine.

loudbang and draggin49 like this.
  4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

If I remember right Beaver told me once they rate their V8 rear at around 500HP and the Champ at around 800. This is just from memory? I've been selling Winters rears for almost 20 years and are yet to have a problem.

loudbang and draggin49 like this.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call Speedway Engineering in Sylmar California. Their V8 style QC can handle a lot of street applications and no nothing is common with an old Halibrand.

loudbang, Rex_A_Lott and draggin49 like this.
  6. draggin49

draggin49

Definitely no drag strip runs or big sticky tires . This one will only have firestone 700x16s bias plys out back . So that should help not put as much wear and tear as big sticky tires that hook would. This car is more of a cruiser that will see daily driving use .

loudbang likes this.
  7. Winters V8 Quick change with 31 Spline push in axles will handle your situation perfectly and look cool to boot.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to say that the guys pretty well nailed it., big sticky tires on asphalt with hard off the line launches are hard on any rear end but those rather skinny and hard tires will go up in smoke before they let the QC have health problems. I'm not sure where you are, but I met a Bonneville racer from back east who was running a Diesel V8 powered mini truck a few years ago that had a great looking Franklin QC under it who said he got it cheap because it was some Grand National Team's last year parts. Probably in the right place at the right time and knew someone .

loudbang likes this.
  9. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

This question always makes me smile.
    As others have said, with your tires you don't have to worry about a QC being too weak. Even with sticky tires and a clutch you would be fine.

Actually, horsepower never really matters. It's all about torque, traction and shock loads. The Winters V8 is plenty strong for what you are doing. You probably want a limited slip differential. Which brakes you want to run will determine the most cost effective unit.

If you want or need more strength, then you should think about a Champ size QC. 10" Ring Gear, 12 bolt carrier, several limited slip options and 31 spline floater axles are readily available.

Screw the 9" - Power robbing hypoid R&P, heavy ass iron case and axle housings that need 30 lbs of additional bracing. Oh, and can you change the final drive ratio in less than 10 minutes? For 60 bucks?

Buy a Winters from an Alliance Vendor.

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The Flashpoint car uses a B&J quick change, 866 781 1064. 499 inch hemi on 69% with a 14-71. Has gone 451 out the back end. No trouble yet with the rear end.

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can see them in blown vintage dragsters. If it was safe enough for your nut sack back then you'll be a'ight...;)

dana barlow and draggin49 like this.
  12. draggin49

draggin49

Is the winters nostalgia v8 QC significantly weaker than the regular winters v8 QC?
    Or is it more of a difference in looks , where nostalgia has banjo looking housings

13. draggin49

draggin49

Hahah, good point

14. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Winters offers basically 3 V8 sized Quickchanges.
    From least to most expensive

SR3620 Center Kit -
    Developed in conjunction with the late Dick Spadaro
    Uses customer supplied Banjo differential, keyed axles and axle trumpets. (Not recommended for heavy duty use)
    Does not have pinion nose bearing, 4.11 R&P only
    Can be upgraded to push in axles using HRW parts. (not by Winters)

SR3605 Center Kit -
    Comes with Wedgelock differential 3.78 R&P, designed for push in axles 28 or 31 Spline, has nose bearing. Uses modified Customer supplied Ford Axle Trumpets and must weld on housing ends for brakes desired.

SR2220 / 2550 V8 -
    This is a complete rear axle assembly with Ribbed aluminum side bells and 3" straight axle tubes, Wedgelock Differential, 3.78 R&P. Uses either Big Ford or Torino Brakes.

SR2220STB / 2550STB V8 Steel Tube and Bell - Same as above but with Winters' version of the Ford axle housings (trumpets), Wedgelock Differential, 3.78 R&P. Uses either Big Ford or Torino Brakes.

For other options and pricing use the Conversation function.