Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Sports Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ghornbostel, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

LB wonder if that is Rimouski, Quebec, Canada related. Like to see more of that one.

Nice.

loudbang likes this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

I don't know where it is from :(

1947knuck and Offset like this.
  3. rooman

rooman

It is Canadian. This is CSX 2002 which Shelby sold to Comstock Racing. Ken Miles drove it for Comstock at one point when the car was white. Comstock then acquired a 427 Cobra and sold this one to Jean Oulette who painted it yellow as seen in the photo. It later had some really ugly rear fender extensions added while under Oulette's ownership.
    Cobra.jpg

Roo

4. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Thank you Roo. Comstock was a heavy hitter on the Canadian road racing scene. This is the first history I have seen on this car.

Appreciated.

coneman likes this.
  5. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Ken Miles / John Morton Cobra leading the A.J. Foyt / John Cannon Corvette.
    Sebring 1964.

zzzzzKen Miles-John Morton --A.J.-John Cannon.jpg

6. loudbang

loudbang

posted by swi66 in the vintage thread

sport11 swi66.jpg

7. Boodlum

Boodlum

Interesting. Never before saw a Cobra with front hood vents like Ferrari 250 GTO.
    Also the Corvette itself is John Mecom Racing Grand Sport with both AJ Foyt and Mecom team driver John Cannon. All Houston guys and car. John Cannon signed my SCUBA certification so I could dive with them (will post a pic if wanted). Never got to go to Nassau tho'.
    [​IMG]
    For comparison, Roger Penske in Mecom Ferrari 250 GTO at Sebring 1963
    [​IMG]
    Mecom team drivers circa 1963 - John Cannon far right with Augie Pabst and Walt Hansgen (who in April 1966 died testing Ford Mk IV that also killed Ken Miles a few months later - Walt Hansgen is depicted in the movie Ford v Ferrari driving a Holman-Moody prepared Ford GT40 at Daytona - the scene where Phil Remington remarks about Holman-Moody GT40 cars having NASCAR Harrison oil coolers and where Ken Miles has to work to pass Walt on the banking).
    [​IMG]
    SCUBA C-card
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  8. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

^^^^^Funny you should mention those vents, I was thinking the same
    thing earlier. Also, John Cannon...I didn't realize his career included
    those cars. I remember him from the SCCA Formula A / Formula 5000
    series. In '64 I was a mere 14 year old punk and my mind was probably
    geared more to the '64 Pontiac GTO.

9. Critical Mass

Critical Mass

Walt Hansgen was killed in a Mark II in the rain at the Le Mans test day. Ken Miles died testing a J Car, the aerodynamically unstable predecessor to the Mark IV. All Mark IV chassis numbers start with J for the J car, as the two had the same chassis.

Boodlum and loudbang like this.
  10. 796CDF3A-8463-49DE-BEE3-2E10F8AE2E82.jpeg

Attached Files:

11. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

loudbang likes this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

posted by swi66 in the vintage thread

sport12 swi66.jpg

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

14. fleetside66

fleetside66

One of the things I like about them is that, in relation to cars of the period, there is not a lot of body/trunk overhang behind the rear axle or in front of the front axle. They were very visually balanced. Of all the Corvettes, they are my favorite.

loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

16. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Bob Holbert, 1st race car, 1953 Cheeta, Cadillac powered

Attached Files:

rod1, AHotRod, 1947knuck and 3 others like this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

18. rooman

rooman

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

20. Boodlum

Boodlum

Looks more like a farm tractor than a race car
    [​IMG]

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that we all seem to forget that in the 50’s these “made/built” racers were not show quality for guys with big egos. There were built to race and used what they had and the rules written and unwritten to compete. Some of the best ran away from “factory” racers and really put on a race for the fans. For the most part that’s gone and local dirts tracks is their last hold out even it they are not sportscars

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not to step on the toes of those that foam at the mouth at the mention of Ol Yeller but that tractor looks no worse in my eyes.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Boodlum and 31hotrodguy like this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

25. loudbang

loudbang

BIG slicks wonder what engine it is running :)

sport3.jpg

26. rooman

rooman

A bit of a stretch to call a 2 door post a sports car--the Impala SS that Gurney raced in the UK maybe but not this.
    And are you sure that it is Gurney? His early stock car history at Riverside started in 1963 and he drove Fords there exclusively through 1969 winning four times for the Wood Brothers in the # 121 and once for Holman and Moody in the #28 (his first Riverside victory).

Edit: I just did a bit of research and the #00 was driven by Dick Getty--same initials but not Dan Gurney

Roo

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    coneman, Offset and 31hotrodguy like this.
  27. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Anybody know what the long bubble in the aluminum tonneau cover over the passenger side of the early blue Corvette in post 1240 is?

loudbang likes this.
  28. Jiminy

Jiminy

Possibly the right side of the dash [​IMG]

1947knuck, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  29. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

IMG_2149.JPG IMG_2150.JPG IMG_2126.JPG IMG_2127.JPG

Enjoyed reading this thread. I've owned and raced a few eligible cars, a full-race '65 TVR Griffith, a couple of Cheetahs and my every day car for years was this '63 Sting Ray (4 speed with 340 horse motor and knock-off Halibrands).

The Griffith was a full-race car and won at The Goodwood Revival first time out. It handled very well in the dry but never drove it in the wet - my pro-driver pal who set up the car said best keep it on the trailer if a cloud appears.

The Sting Ray was also used for Sprints and again, was a well set up car with uprated and adjustable suspension.

The first Cheetah was a project car sold on to a friend before it was finished, then I bought the red Bob Auxier continuation car in the photos, one of six race versions. This one originally belonged to Bob Boyce. Buying the car was like the opening scene from Easy Rider involving cash, a disused airfield and a crazy test drive flat out at 8 on a Sunday morning through an urban area.

First time I really drove the Cheetah properly was in The Big Bend Open Road Race in Texas, not knowing which way we'd be facing when we exited the first corner. The car handled prefectly but damn, it was hot, too hot to wear a nomex racesuit. Only thing worse than the heat was the noise - open pipes made our ears ring - 126 decibels is just unpleasant.

I have another Anglo-American idea in mind for the future and have been collecting parts, including a very rare CB Performance manifold and quad downdraft Dellortos, plus a few gauges.

Regards

Jon.

Attached Files:

30. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

IMG_2381.JPG

Small world, good to see Ted Eaton's Fairlane and I recognise some of those Cobras. Ted rebuilt the 355 in the Cheetah and we co-drove in the BBORR. All those cars have gone but I'd like to run my '32 roadster in the 90 mph class.

Regards

Jon

31hotrodguy and Boodlum like this.