Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What are they called and where do I get them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, May 29, 2020.

1. topher5150

topher5150

I spent all morning racking my brain trying to figure out what these things are called. The little rubber things that you put on the end of your air gun and blast your coworker with. I need some to plug all the emissions crap on my engine.

loudbang likes this.
  2. edl-4804_xl.jpg Vac plugs they come on packets at any autoparts.

like these right?

3. topher5150

topher5150

It's the little things in life that make one wonder how you've made it this far in life

egads, Just Gary, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pure luck and creative genius

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The auto parts store version typically sold now (from you-know-where) are complete scheisse, they last only a few months before splitting. Better than nothing, but I think McMaster-Carr and outfits like that still have the good stuff.

egads, blowby, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

They used to come in packages, labeled "Help Kits".

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Wracked 3 tool boxes Friday looking for a good rubber 'tapered nozzle'. Found 3, 2 were split as @Truck64 mentioned.
    I concur, McMaster/Carr.

loudbang likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

They are called "the reason you have been written up for a safety violation" at work.

9. squirrel

squirrel

They look like Vacuum Caps to me...plugs go in the hole, caps go over the tube.

10. I'll agree, the parts house rubber caps are junk. Don't know about McMaster-Carr, I haven't tried theirs. I do know if you want good ones try a motorcycle dealer; they're commonly used to plug vacuum ports used to sync the carbs, the downside is they generally don't come in the large sizes. For those I use vinyl caps. I've never bought any, I've always picked them up at work. McMaster-Carr does have a large assortment of these vinyl caps available, even in a high-temp version. Downside is minimum order is 100 for most sizes, but they're not expensive, $7 to $11 per hundred.

loudbang likes this.
  11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I've always used a piece of hose & a steel ball ...

dirty old man, bobss396 and squirrel like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

I can usually find a screw, I'm too lazy to look in the steel ball drawer.

Truck64 and 41rodderz like this.
  13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Rubber hose and a bolt is traditional?

bobss396, RMR&C, indyjps and 2 others like this.
  14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:p Ain’t that the truth:D

15. southcross2631

southcross2631

Rubber hose and a golf tee. Have plenty in my golf bag. Different colors and adjustable too.

RidgeRunner, squirrel and Truck64 like this.
  16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

" blast your coworker with" Not a good idea admitting it on the internet..
    Hope you and your employer have great insurance.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazon shows a 90 piece assortment for 12.99 shipped or if you plan to use a lot of them https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Vacuum-Cap-Assortment-Sizes/dp/B00LC4R8CQ
    Or a lifetime supply for 37.49 https://www.amazon.com/OPK1080-Larg...HQ3PH16T052&psc=1&refRID=N1CQZ3DDWHQ3PH16T052
    Plus they have spring lock clamps to hold them on. https://www.amazon.com/Hilitchi-Spr...61M89D0WAP9&psc=1&refRID=2NH2YMN4W61M89D0WAP9

I still have the rubber tipped one in my tool box now but back in the mid 70's not long after my tool man had sold me an OSHA approved (and labeled) blow gun saying that the non approved hand been banned. Came back from a Test drive after an alignment one day and this dude who didn't work in our shop an I had never seen was digging in my tool box and had the drawer that I had the cash payment for my SnapOn rep in the SnapOn payment book in open and was snooping though it. I picked up the truck tire iron that I had leaning against the wall and hollered "what the hell are you doing in my tool box?" I guess a 280 lb pissed off mechanic with a 4 ft tire iron in his hands scared him a bit because he started stuttering a bit an then the owner's brother came running out to see what the commotion was and after the guy fussed a bit and I told Raymond that the man was digging in my tool box without permission. Raymond Asked him if he had been and he confirmed it saying that he had to check for unauthorized blow guns. After Raymond chewed his ass out for getting in personal property without permission and not informing him or the service manager that he was there I showed him my OSHA approved blow gun and told him I had taken the other one home. I'm not sure if it ever sunk in how close he came to getting that tire iron laid against the side of his head that day but I would believe that was the last tool box he ever opened without consulting the mechanic that owned it.

topher5150 and AndersF like this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-5-30_5-51-18.png
    Hello,

I knew our local auto parts stores carried those in their flip top, separated boxes. But, the local Ace Hardware Store is closer and also carries them in their specific drawers for nuts and bolts, too. Finally, the local Lowe’s had a huge area of slide out drawers that have just about any size of each black rubber tip. Uses? Plenty for the mind to wander and identify the fit for each thing that needs a protective tip.

We used these on our in sink dish drainer for their little feet. It kept the stainless steel kitchen sink spot free and dent free. So, there is an alternate use for these little tips. That went on for many dish drainers until we got a new sink and drainer from the same company. Their tips were the same size, but they somehow made clear ones to cover the stainless steel dish drainer’s little feet. So, those little black ones I bought at Lowe’s sit in my tool drawer for some modification at a later time. (a modified, small Moon Tank for die cast model hot rods?)
    upload_2020-5-30_5-53-28.png
    Jnaki

The second set has also taken hold in our garage drawers. They are good for capping anything, from kitchen stools to metal feet of desk chairs, to tripod legs…(if your tripod has spikes in the bottom, a small drill will make a hole in the black rubber tip, sliding neatly in place ready for the spike to come out.)

These rubber tips are just handy, are sold in many places, have different sizes and fit the most unusual rod ends in the household. Flexible/adjustable tent poles used for portable Christmas light displays? The caps make it scratch free for any surface.

19. Golf tees were high tech back in the day.

Special Ed likes this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-5-30_6-22-37.png

upload_2020-5-30_6-22-55.png
    Hello,
    I knew there were some adjustable tent poles that were used for various stuff in the house, garage and elsewhere. The rubber tips are fairly standard for just about any size in those pull out drawers at the hardware stores. If permanence is mandatory, a little glue inside before sliding them on helps.

Jnaki
    These days, I carry one around in our backyard to ward off a family of coyotes that live just down the street. They have been known to jump over three foot block wall fences to get a meal if they sniff around. Our little dog once fought a teenage coyote and almost got nailed. He did require stitches and weeks of recovery, but the stick is always in hand, these days.

Be safe and healthy, while "locked in place."

21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What the hell is an OSHA approved blow gun and why would it need a rubber tip?

texasred likes this.
  22. The ones I posted are Moroso and are used to block off vacuum nipples on a carburetor.

There have been some complaints about quality. Rubber products are susceptible to carbon based emissions which are prevalent in most larger cities more than in the country. Neoprene like most of the better caps are made from is less susceptible but still will eventually crack and split. heat adds to the problem.

Basically if it is a rubber based product it is going to fail eventually. Being in a larger metropolitan area makes them fail sooner.

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in my prototype days we'd add extensions to our blow guns and put a dab of modeler's clay in the end. A zap in the ass cheeks did sting a little, and we had "rules" to it, nothing above the waist or beat down was given. Nobody got beat down. A 16' ceiling in that building, and for some reason :rolleyes: our department had several dozen little blobs of clay up there. When you work 10+ days 12 and 16 hour shifts, ways of lightening the mood were as varied and juvenile as you can imagine. Where was this? Kar Kraft. Yeah, THAT Kar Kraft. We even set one of our HAMB brethren up with a 3 Stooges style bucket of water on top of the bathroom door. He still gets his knickers in a little bit of a twist when I remind him:D

24. topher5150

topher5150

Prototyping and design especially in the automotive area has always been my dream job
    Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. I worked in one car shop... zero tolerance for anything shot out of an air hose other than air. Do it once and you were fired on the spot. I recall getting a heads-up when OSHA was doing a sweep and we got anything non-compliant out of sight.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Those crutch tips work good until they crack open. I'm bad to just use a piece of vacuum hose with a bolt stuck in it. Black bolts fade out of sight, shiny ones draw attention...

27. Wrench97

Wrench97

OSHA approved blow guns have holes around the outside of the tip to prevent them from working correctly.............................[​IMG]