Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Fender reworking and 40s Chevy truck questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by drew1987, May 29, 2020.

1. drew1987

drew1987

So I’ve been staring at pictures trying to figure out each one of the differences between a 3100 pick up and a 3600 pick up… 1946 or so. It’s easy to see that the wheel openings in the front fenders are much smaller on the 1/2 ton... also, the fender sort of curls in toward the grill in the front.

I am wondering if the larger fenders with the larger openings are also wider.

I imagine that somebody determined could turn a large opening fender into a smaller opening fender, perhaps not to look identical to the half ton truck fender, but at the very least, look good with a half ton size wheel and tire

I would love to hear anyone’s knowledge about this, and absolutely love to see the work of anyone who has done what I am talking about.

Also, fender building from scratch (for truck beds) is of interest, so feel free to send any info on that my way.

Greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Joe H

Joe H

3. That's going to take some manipulation to make a big truck fender look like a small truck fender FB_IMG_1590805727114.jpg 20200529_223627.jpg FB_IMG_1590806127475.jpg

4. Reidy

Reidy

It will take a lot of work to reduce the opening size but it would be easier than starting from scratch.

As for the rear fenders I will share half an idea I recently had. If it is discredited I will not have to give it any further thought. I was looking at VW beetle the other day and noticed the rear fenders are similar in profile the 40's Chev. They mad a few VW's over the years so it may be an option to widen a set of beetle fenders for the rear instead of starting from scratch. Yes it is out there but maybe a starting point. Once you stop laughing have a look and then tell me I am crazy.

Steve

5. Are you opposed to using fiberglass fenders ?
    I see you belong to Rochester Street Rods and are somewhat local.

6. squirrel

squirrel

According to the parts book, the one ton and bigger has the larger fenders, the 3/4 ton is same as half ton.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/parts/1929_54/008.HTM

But the question about modifying the big truck fenders to fit a small truck, has been answered.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. drew1987

drew1987

First of all, thanks for all the replies!

I am toiling with weather or not I want to build this truck... Volkswagen fenders would be fine. I dont care what it is as long as it looks right! Thats the way my local crew has raised me haha these guys were building cars before my parents were born and they use whatever works to get the look they want. I would not use fiberglass and the reason is that if I build this, its for my wife. Its going to be a truck, not a streetrod... meaning it will move things, tow things, have mulch and garden crap in the bed, sit outside 100% of the time, and likely get a few dents and bruises during its time with our family. Dents are fine, cracks are not lol

Out of necessity, i'll need to make a chassis. Would likely use recent 4x2 chevy 1/2 ton cause I can get it (not sure if that crosses a line - please show grace if it does) and would do so so that it sits about the height of a new 2500 4x4 so the fender openings could handle being a smidge bigger than a 3100 but as they are now, its not gonna work

Going to read up... if they are WIDER as well as bigger openings, that helps as maybe pie cuts and some finess could finish the job

That's obviously not the hood in the photo, its a 40's ford i think. Didnt pay much attention to it; its just sitting there

Attached Files:

8. To bad about your thoughts on fiberglass, I could've saved you a lot of trouble, good luck with your build. 20160812_141535_zpsossjlqpn.jpg

9. 66gmc

66gmc

Ron Covell has a good video series on youtube on hand building a rear fender

10. drew1987

drew1987

Hey swade just to be clear I don’t have anything against them like I don’t think less of them but this will be an in-the-driveway truck that will get used for hauling and such so I figured steel that might get a dent here and there is the lesser evil. Of course it won’t be used in winter but is sure will in the other two months of the year (lol)

Thanks for that video! I’ll check it out

11. drew1987

drew1987

Hey all

Can someone show a diagram of all the hood parts? This comes with half a hood. Could be a huge problem as all I’ve seen is a $625 whole hood in need for resto (not sure if the hinge is good) and a $150 ish “bull nose front hinge pivot”

Many thanks

12. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. love those trucks but I only have cars. A 46 Chevy Stylemaster coupe and a 50 Plymouth Deluxe. For my 46 Chevy I purchased many parts at www.chevsofthe40s.com . They have a great website and also have paper catalogues & even have a separate catalog just for the trucks. Great info there.
    Post some photo's of the truck if you can. Jimmie

13. squirrel

squirrel

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/

But they don't have a 1946 parts book. I do, but it doesn't show exactly what you want, so you kind of have to read both of these drawings to figure out what the parts are called (on the car drawing), and then look a the truck drawing and see what the parts sort of look like.

46 truck.jpg 39 grill.jpg

14. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

You can view dozens of pictures of “Art Deco” trucks on Stovebolt.com. Lots of tech articles including one about the differences between 41-46 trucks. Also an active forum.

15. drew1987

drew1987

Thanks for posting those squirrel

Frank I’ll check it out.

I’m trying to wrap my head around how I can do this inexpensively. The cab (minus the stolen lower cowl and floors) large front fenders grill running boards and half a hood are available to me very very cheap. I’d be making the bed, rear fenders, finding a hood half, and figuring out a chassis. Glass has to be flat and modern-glued cause no windshield frame. Basically will look good and function as a truck for our lighter duty needs Really on the fence about starting with something so rough and incomplete

16. squirrel

squirrel

Sometimes buying what you want, instead of using what you have, ends up being the wise route to take...

MO54Frank likes this.