Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New threads showing up in my alerts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alanp561, May 29, 2020.

1. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know what's happening but all at once, every time someone posts a new thread, it shows up in my alerts. I don't recall changing anything in my preferences. Anyone have an idea about this?

Sky Six likes this.
  2. Dman

Dman

Same thing happening to me.

3. ..........Be sure to post this in the Questions and Suggestions section, guys, so a moderator will see it and hopefully be able to help out.......Don.

hotrodharry2, jnaki and catdad49 like this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

Hey A,
    Sometimes we all need to go back to our profile page and see that everything is checked in the boxes as we had originally done upon joining HAMB. Here is the page under your account:
    upload_2020-5-30_4-46-31.png
    If checked with a check mark or blue tab, then that is what you want in your browsing profile. This first one will send a ton of answers and posts to you, just because you might have checked that box. If you like 55-57 Fords thread, every time someone replies, (if you checked that thread under "watched" thread) you will get an answer.

Some threads have people just inundating it with copied photos from the internet without any research behind any of the photos. If they continued to post on those threads you have checked as "watched," then every time they post, you get a notice. There is no rhyme or reason to post a zillion copied photos from the internet. If those were actual photos from your own photography, then that is different. But, to copy and post "copied photos" is questionable.

Sure, some of us will copy a photo or two to enhance our writings about the subject, like a Mild Custom and the nice cars from @firemangordy. Now, he will get an alert notice that I mentioned his name in a thread or post. By the way, he does have quite the stash of cool hot rods.

Jnaki
    Hopefully, you can go back into your profile page and check/uncheck those boxes and start over. That may help, without bothering the moderators that have to continually get those 1966 and later copied photos off of any of the threads.

Last edited: May 30, 2020

5. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@jnaki, I went to Alert Preferences and there is nothing there that should allow an alert every time someone starts a new thread. Nothing has been added or taken away from my original preferences. This just started happening five or six days ago. Other than being a mild irritant and costing me extra time to wade through them all, I'm not overly upset. I just want to know how it started and how to stop it from happening.

jnaki, catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

Hey A,

Like all computers and laptops in play these days, a thorough restart and cleaning usually does the trick for odd ball things that pop up now and then. In the same light, a blank slate on the HAMB preferences (uncheck everything) and restarting the whole site again, might help. Then you can go back and check the preferences that you want. I did this once, a year ago, but kept the information the same, after clearing out everything. (first take screen shots of the information... old memory loss is evident in old age for us) the glitch was gone and all is good so far.

Now, I noticed that there are only a few problems, like not being able to re-insert videos marked missing or not available, or old photos that somehow go missing on very old threads. That is a mystery for sure. I know that if anyone changes the title of a video on You Tube, it gets deleted on any thread saying it is unavailable. That is true, but when the video is edited, but keeps the same title, it should go through any previous posting. Strange happenings...

Jnaki
    Good luck with the total clean out of the HAMB preferences and a reboot of the system.

7. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll try that, thanks.

jnaki likes this.