Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1956 Chevy truck rear end.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Kruckyou, May 29, 2020.

1. Kruckyou

Kruckyou

Has anyone swapped a 1988 Chevy 4x4 rear end in one of these trucks? I’m not concerned about relocating leaf perch, or shock mounts. How does it fit width wise? I believe it has limited slip stock. I can get it $100.00. Only reason he’s selling it is because he put in a corp14.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. squirrel

squirrel

is it a new body style, or old body style truck? If it's new body style...I don't know. If it's old body style, then it's pretty much the same as the rears they used back to 1970, and might measure a couple inches wider than the original 56 rear.

I suggest you put a tape measure to use. Also, carefully check to see how the rear tires on your truck fit in the wheel well, whether they can move in or out some, or need to be right where they are.

3. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

The ‘88 was the first year of the “new” style. Which I call old now since it’s been redesigned since. The ‘88-‘98 are all the same, except for Suburbans which were ‘88-‘99. FWIW.

squirrel likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Break over from AD to TF was 55. I've got a 55 second series rear axle out here and if memory serves right WMS to WMS is an RCH over 60 inches.
    What I am finding and the info is severely vague is that 88 K 10 trucks were 68 inches WMS to WMS and the C 10 was 65. The only way to know for sure is to actually measure the wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface to get it correct. The back of the brake drum to back of the brake drum nonsense is absolutely meaningless nonsense.
    95 and up to ? Toyota Tacoma 4x4 and four runners rear axle width is 60 inches and they are six lug. I'm thinking many are still drum brake. Cost may be a factor plus sneaking over on the Toyota Tacoma boards to figure out how to decode the gear ratio thing. Decode sheet here http://209.250.0.61/LCTechPages/TECHGEARJANUARY.html
    Around here those rear axles are a bit on the spendy side but word is that they are tough. Still probably not near as spendy as having a rear axle housing and axles cut to length though.

5. Kruckyou

Kruckyou

I was trying to a avoid an hour drive to take a measurement.

6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

The seller, a friend or the person who put the corporate rear in should be able to measure it.

7. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, being an hour away is something that you didn't mention in your first post, so I assumed you could just measure it.

8. Kruckyou

Kruckyou

It’s in his storage. Unfortunately it’s too long.