Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Ford Thunderbird Restoration - Project Flarebird

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seanbelushi, Feb 17, 2020.

1. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

So the car had been running hot, and I wanted to replace the water pump and have the radiator checked out.

At that point, we’re not too far away from checking out the timing chain.

60995514667__DFAA644B-C2C8-4E04-AB5D-A142A15B28EB.JPG

Again, snowball. A simple water pump change turned into a major rebuild, but it was absolutely the right call. The fiber cam gear was totally cracked and the chain was really sloppy.

60995748680__09C39826-EBBA-4956-9B66-AF3E868BF320.JPG
    Ultimately, it was a good move, just not what I wanted to do today.

As soon as the radiator comes back, it’ll be ready to try and daily again!

60998063330__91BA1807-2FF4-4CDF-8EA1-58142A81E808.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Gasser 57, loudbang and Aaron65 like this.
  2. FityFive

FityFive

Good call on the timing chain!

loudbang and seanbelushi like this.
  3. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

More snowballing, this time I just wanted to replace the water pump and ended up taking it down to the timing chain. Good thing, as the fiber cam gear was about to let go.

Thanks for all your support,

Sean

4. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Probably the last Thunderbird video before the epic road trip. We rebuild the Autolite 4100 (again), and if it doesn't work this time I'm going full Office Space on this carburetor.

Thanks to everyone for the help on this project!

Sean

5. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

My mother had a similar 66, (same color, not a Landau) She had a lead foot and that 'Bird is etched in my memory.
    It jumped into reverse one time, and two weeks later it was traded in for a LTD.
    The LTD was not near as cool.....

loudbang and seanbelushi like this.
  6. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

This one jumped into reverse on me as well. I learned quickly to chock the wheels or push the steering wheel to the side if working on it with the engine running!

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

A couple of weeks ago, I got an email from a Thunderbird guy who happened to live not too far away for me here in Colorado Springs. I was finally able to get in touch with Nick from Vintage Thunderbird Repair (formerly T-birds by Nick in CA), and headed out to his shop to check out his amazing collection and projects that he’s currently working on.

Thanks again Nick for letting me come out and see your collection, I look forward to working with you in the future on some projects!

Sean

8. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Hey all! More Thunderbird updates...

We hadn't planned on repairing the seats before the epic road trip across the US along Route 66. When we purchased the car, it had crumbling seat foam but was comfortable. During the last few months, it has become undriveable with the windows down, as particles of foam are flying around getting inhaled and in your eyes. Prob not safe for driving.

This will probably be the last video before we take the car across country. Thank you all for the help on this journey, and Ill see if my father will continue to update everyone on the progress.

Sean

9. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

So I realized that I completely forgot to post the update video on the Thunderbird. We ended up taking it across country and tried to hit as much of Route 66 as we could. The trip was eventful to say the least, from losing 22 quarts of oil, to the power brakes going out 5 minutes into the trip, but it was remarkable and I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks so much for checking out our journey.

Sean

10. gatz

gatz

...let me guess
    the oil loss was due to a leaking valve cover gasket

seanbelushi likes this.
  11. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Yup, but at the rate it was coming out I was POSITIVE it was a rear main seal. I had replaced the valve cover gaskets once and it was dry as a bone when we left. 90 miles into the trip the dam burst.

Sean

12. Scumdog

Scumdog

Man that info will be real handy if I ever have to do a similar job on my '66 Town Landau!

seanbelushi likes this.
  13. My '63 T Bird had been in a barn for about 35 years. She has had issues (brakes, ignition etc...) but not quite to the extent of your dad's '66! Just finished a 250 mile road trip to a 4 day car show (Ocean City Cruisin) with no issues. Still have to fix the wipers, dash lights and make the turn signals work reliably. Installed a Pertronix electronic ignition system and the 390 just purrs... 20210522_201426.jpg