Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Alternator idiot light necessary?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alteredpilot, May 29, 2020.

1. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

I use an LED as an idiot light and it works fine and also run a volt meter and amp gauge.

2. I always wire one in, how can knowing when your alternator stops charging be bad?. I've wired big Cole Hersee one's on the bottom flange of the dash if you don't want to see them and when it's on your feet area glows red so you can still see the warning. Also every dash would look great with old jeweled warning lights.

scrap metal 48 and jnaki like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

This all sounds good. I think you understand it pretty well.

BJR and Squablow like this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I always use a 194 bulb in mine. If the light comes on, you know there is a problem with either the charging system or a broken belt. Saved more than one engine with a single belt that had broken and the light came on.

5. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/misc/lamps.html

I have specs on a bunch of bulbs here, including the #97.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

7. Comment above about "looping" #2 right to the BAT stud.
    I prefer to run it to another 12V point further back in the system. It's job is to sense system voltage. If it is right at the alternator, it is sensing the charge voltage, not system. Sort of a simplified explanation.

8. Soundpony

Soundpony

I used a small LED light as an idiot light on 3 wire hook up and all is good with one oddity, it flashes. Comes on with key in on position, flashing. Alternator starts charging steady 13/14 amps when truck is started and light goes off, then no run on when key is turned off.

9. slack

slack

"All my cars are Pre-Idiot".
    Ahhh, to go back to those days.

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

With out resistance in the exciter wire the alternator will back feed the ignition You can use the acc terminal to stop the run on. Any time I have an alternator go out it is replaced with a 10si cheap and tuff. as to needing some kind of resister in the system I don't know But I do have a Farm tractor that was changed over 6,000 hrs a go with no issues wired straight the switch.

11. squirrel

squirrel

how old is this thread? brought back to life by a botposter?

RICH B and BJR like this.
  12. BJR

BJR

Yes it was. But it's good thread with good info so it may help someone who didn't see it back in 2020.