Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 ford fairlane lets see them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dons t, May 5, 2007.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The '55 and '56 Victoria hardtops are completely different. The '55 side glass is higher, and the quarter window is also much longer on the '56 and lowers into the quarter in a completely different fashion than the '55. For the windshield you could use a '55 Crown or a '56 Crown, Convertible, or Victoria; you would also need the vent windows from the same car unless you plan to delete them entirely. If you were willing to stick with the '55 quarter window shape and lowering method, you could chop them, but you'd have to reshape the stainless channel around the top of the window.

Actually, if you're going to do a Carson top, why not just start with a convertible?

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  2. Because the Y blocks are poor design. Ive never seen a good one. they where fraught with problems like non oiling yockers, leaking rear mains. lots of blow by . you can get more performance ,better fuel economy reliability ect by swapping engines. And you can swap engines much cheaper than it cost to rebuild a Y block. They only put Y blocks in cars for 8 years. Im of the opinion that if ford has of came out with the FE in 54 instead of the Boat anchor the tri five chevies wouldnt be near as popular as they are.:eek:

3. I approve of the FE engine. I have a Question where can I get a set of hedders for a fE in a 56?

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

All of that and more. My advice was taking the "carson top" look into account which would negate a lot of the trouble. Maybe finding a winshield/cowl may be the most expedient ay to go. Or perhps finding all that and the tops of the 1/4 panels and graft the whole section to the wer '55 body tub. By the way, we all need to see more pictures of your '56/55 trimmed car. It's really growing on me!!!!!

5. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I've got one I'd love to sale PM me

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Glad to hear it. There have been several threads discussing it ad nauseum; take a look at these:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260133

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285200

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416596

If there's not enough coverage in those, I have many more pictures and can drag them out with very little encouragement.

7. I se the crome window flippers arent working properly. I never could gwt them to work on my 56 htp.s and I seen them not working on tri five chevies also.

droppedstepside likes this.
  8. drew56cus

drew56cus

Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like I would be better off holding out (and paying more) for a '56. Not exactly thick on the ground in Australia though. A Sunliner would be ideal, however I thought that they would be in greater demand and hence more expensive? I will likely have to ship one over.

Here are some drawings I got done a while back of my 'vision'. Some custom touches. I thought the Pontiac side trim would work well with the bulge in the rear quarter. Colours would be a dark green with a white flash and white top. I would still run the Y-block though, I love the sound of them and it is in keeping with the 50's style.
    custom cusso.jpg
    dhcusso2.jpg
    Cheers, Drew

9. Your '56 and the way you went about it all have been a big inspiration in how I'm approaching my '55. Especially your initial choice of wheels where you used something cheap and different so the car stood out a little bit from the others. I'm going with 2002 Ford Ranger wheels on mine with beauty rings and spider caps for now.

[​IMG]

10. jhtdon

jhtdon
    from Florida

My 56 - Air, PS, Overdrive 3 Spd., Three Twos, Warmed to 3/4 race. Something I wanted as a HS Senior. Now I can enjoy it.

Cheers, Don

Attached Files:

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks, I enjoyed those. Did you know that you've been "validated"? Tim Allen along with Steve Moal did something a little similar. Check out the latest issue of "Street Rodder".

12. DEANs427

DEANs427

TO Old Wolf,

Ford powertrain applications (FPA) makes the FE into 55-56 adapter headers
    253 848 9503
    I had to make a slight modification on the right side outlet

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  13. DEANs427

DEANs427

You do know that Ford outsold chevrolet in 1957 don't you?
    also the hot rod magazine shootout between the 57 ford factory supercharged 312 blowing away the factory fuel injected 57 chev.....
    I think I still have that magazine someware.

14. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

The non-oiling rockers on a "Y" block were caused by a alignment of passages between the block and the heads. A grove was cut into the block about an inch or perhaps a bit longer to send the oil sideways to reach the port for the heads. Not the best design feature ever but that along with poor oil made for a dry top end and you could buy a kit from Ford to run a line from the outside of the block to the top of the hold down studs for the valve covers. Of course today, we use much better oils and this is no longer a problem
    Mike

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks for the lead; I would have missed that article otherwise. Neat car, although I prefer my body style. I'd like to have Tim's engine and upholstery.

16. drew56cus

drew56cus

Damn that Tim Allen car is straight! And the interior is nice. But it is not a patch on your beauty, 50Fraud! You could have wheat sacks as seat covers and it would not matter.

17. 1934coupe

1934coupe

My friend 56 Ford, he's had it about 30 years and just recently had the black repainted. Other than that its as he bought it.

Pat

Attached Files:

droppedstepside and uncleandy 65 like this.
  18. drew56cus

drew56cus

Well, I have finally done it. Got a tip off to one in Oz so I flew down to check it out. A little bit of rust here and there (including the front crossmember of course) but a pretty good basis for my project. The car has factory power steering and still has the Y block. Doesn't have a brake booster though. I want to get it on the road in a rough state so I can see if I am happy with drum brakes and left hand drive and the fordomatic before pulling it down and turning it into my custom. I will have tofind this 55-56 fords group and get the low down on where to get parts.
    20150916_085849.jpg
    20150916_085903.jpg
    This guy had an amazing collection of 55-56 fords from the US and Canada. He is putting a Boss 429 in a glass top crown vic. And had this nice Meteor.
    20150916_085712.jpg
    Cheers, Drew

Lou kriger and droppedstepside like this.
  19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

At the risk of whipping a dead horse, my '56 is for sale. My ask is $42.5 negotiable; there are more details in my ad in the classified section.
    0900Lo.JPG

PoTaToTrUcK and droppedstepside like this.
  20. Nice car, wish I could afford something like that.

21. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Go car show 015.jpg t this 2 weeks ago

22. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

okay heres mine...still left hook...came out of Idaho....now in sunny York Australia
    [​IMG]
    and getting a touch of graffiti
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

droppedstepside and Bleach like this.
  23. drew56cus

drew56cus

Some good looking cars here. How do you find driving LHD Joe?
    Good luck with the sale 50Fraud.

24. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

no problems at all......just need to pay attention a bit more than usual and be selective about overtaking......
    and good fun when being pulled over for breathalizer......they come to the wrong door and nobody home haha

25. I have to disagree on this its not the design so much as the maintenance and quality of fluids used. My '56 292 has never been rebuilt and it has none of these so called problems. Hell the car sat for 30 years and since i got it running again Feb of this year no leaks aside from the plug on the drive shaft slip yoke. But no oiling problem no leaky rear main no excessive blow by thereis some but its a 60 yo engine with 155k miles on it.

Bleach likes this.
  26. Old thread however its worth looking at again.

hd1084 likes this.
  27. mikew

mikew

I’ve been chasing this car for a few years now, without ever seeing it. Finally had a chance to buy it so I jumped on it. I’ve spent all weekend either driving it or sitting in the shop looking at it. God, I’m in love!

Attached Files:

28. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

29. My '56 Fairlane mild custom, a work in progress. Boothill_Creede 2018.jpg