Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 29 RPU- "Street/Strip" B/SR Build - Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Dec 19, 2019.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I watched that crash from 3/4 down the track. It was very violent. The car had to be very well built to maintain its integrity. Other than a few problems that era of drags were the best ever. We towed up every year from Fountain Valley to drag our roadster or 40 Chevrolet. I miss those times..and watching the “hot” cars running for quickest street rod.

Atwater Mike, loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  2. bchctybob

bchctybob

I faced the same roll bar problem with my Willys pickup. The rear bars went through the back window and through the bed, all had to be welded in. It was a mostly period correct A/GS using a stock steel cab and fenders and an aluminum bed I built with a blown 392/TH400 and an Olds rear end on quarter elliptic springs and ladder bars. NHRA said, gotta weld it all. I hoped it would run 9s like the old days so I went ahead and made the back panel of the cab under the window removable and the bed was all individual panels that could be easily disassembled. It went to a guy up in Washington as a roller.
    Sounds like you’ll have to do something like that too if you want to run it hard.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jim, I raced Fremont in 86-87-and 88 with 3 different cars, some of the greatest times of my life. The gamble of buying an obsolete drag car, and only able to race it 800 miles away,was a risk that paid off. Another windfall, was the people I met and remain friends to this day.The real icing on the cake was having Art Chrisman, Gene Adams and Tom Topping helping out in our pit.We even adopted Tom, to be our Crew Chief ! 2012-08-31 141936.jpg 2012-08-31 123144.jpg 2012-08-31 122816.jpg 2012-08-31 122956.jpg

Toms Dogs, winr, bchctybob and 17 others like this.
  4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Just got some good news, an email from McLeod telling me they are shipping the bellhousing today, and will be contacting me for credit card info. I hope it means they are re-certifying it. It was purchased in 1995 and never installed. IMG_4709.JPG

5. JROTTEN

JROTTEN

Ya, Charley was a bit crude at times for sure, my dad tells me about a car that he used electrical conduit for a tie rod, had nuts brazed on the ends. If memory serves me, I think it was a car for Jr. Thompson. My Aunt worked at the lower taver for years, then when my dad and step mom devorced, she moved up there and worked there later on. My dad is ok, he has the beginning stages of dementia, so we try to take him as many places as we can. It helps when he sees old friends. I really enjoy when you post what your doing, you do things the way I was fortunate to learn how to do them. no computers, no cnc ect. Im sure most of the people today don't know what a silver pencil is, all they know is sharpies, which have they'er place, just not for laying out parts. Next time I'm in your neck of the woods, maybe I'll look you up. Thanks for asking about my dad Marty, much appreciated, John.

winr, bchctybob, Atwater Mike and 4 others like this.
  6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I will look forward to seeing you, always appreciated the work that Jack and you produce, and really liked your 37 pickup !

loudbang and Dean Lowe like this.
  7. JROTTEN

JROTTEN

Thanks Marty for the compliments, really appreciated. I usually come up for the Portland swap meet, some times at Labor day. Will defenatly look you up next time there. Have a good day.

loudbang likes this.
  8. rooman

rooman

MIG welded mild steel cages have been legal all along and there are a huge number of cars built that way--it is up to the chassis inspector to verify the integrity of the welds.

Roo

bchctybob, Junior Stock and Dean Lowe like this.
  9. rooman

rooman

Marty,
    I just checked to 2019 rule book (the latest one that I have) and a bolt in roll bar IS legal with an OEM frame (Section 21, page 21). The exact wording is "All vehicles with OEM frame must have roll bar welded or bolted to frame". Cant go quicker than 11 flat or faster than 135 mph without a cage.

Roo

bchctybob, OFT, cactus1 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I just viewed the 2020 rule book on line, and you are correct, it can be bolted. It also stated that 4130 material requires Tig welding, and Mild steel could either Mig or Tig, just like it used to. I still don't understand where the hell that spec drawing that I posted earlier, came from.

bchctybob, Stogy, Just Gary and 3 others like this.
  11. So then, we are going to run that bitch as hard as she will go. Right on!!

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dean, I will still be stuck at 11 flat. But that's OK, I'm getting older, you know !

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dean, I don't think I have lost my touch, but when I make it to Eagle Field, if you showed up, I would let you make a pass !!!!!!!!!!!

14. Hmmmmm, this requires much thought.

15. Don’t think. React! :D

alanp561, -Brent-, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

Go for it then you can "run that bitch as hard as she will go. Right on!" we aren't getting any younger LOL

alanp561, Atwater Mike, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The bellhousing came back from McLeod, and I couldn't be happier. The re-certification fee was only $30. and the shipping was $26. Great people to deal with. Thanks again Rich ! IMG_4935.JPG IMG_4936.JPG IMG_4937.JPG

18. rooman

rooman

Paul Lee who now own McLeod is a great guy (and fuel funny car racer). In addition Krista Baldwin is part of his team (on both the business and racing side). For those that do not know she is the grand daughter of the legendary Chris Karamesines, aka The Greek.

Roo

19. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Roo,
    Is there anyone in this business you don't know?

Algoma56 likes this.
  20. rooman

rooman

I have been involved in the drag racing side of things for 55 years, initially in Australia and then for the past 32 years here in the US. I did the full NHRA and IHRA tours for a couple of seasons and have since had "guest" crewing roles on numerous occasions in addition to mounting funny car bodies for a number of teams over the years. It is a bit like osmosis--when you are deeply immersed you just tend to absorb a lot of contacts (and friends). I also wrote for National Speed Sport News for 8 years as their NHRA pit reporter and you tend to get to know a lot of people in that situation.

Roo

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Marty's threads seem to place us in some pretty solid builder/driver circles.
    I recall my father-in-law, Stan Robinson telling me "You ain't gonna tell those guys much..."
    (San Gabriel night drags pits, Big Bob Haines, Tommy Ivo, and a handful of others)

22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Mike, Bob Haines was a Northwest driver prior to his time behind the wheel of the Masters & Richter fuel car. He wheeled the Day & Nite dragster out of Seattle (shown). 2012-07-23 133624.jpg

23. Shit, I bet I got you by 10 years! I see how hard you work. You're just a kid Marty. ;)

bchctybob, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dean, the difference in our ages is closer to 5 years, I will be 72 this fall ! However, the genius that came up with the phrase "Age Is Just a State Of Mind", didn't do the kind of crazy things we have done !

25. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

^^^^^^^Boy Marty, a truer statement has never been uttered.

bchctybob, loudbang and RidgeRunner like this.
  26. Yes, closer than I thought. I was 75 in February. Guess I shouldn't have retired. ;)

bchctybob, Atwater Mike and loudbang like this.
  27. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Marty –

From an ol' nit-picker – you don't have an OEM frame. You have a completely newly manufactured upgraded competition-suited frame. You should to be able to use an approved cage bolted with 1/4-inch plates to similar structures in your "racing" frame (that are already there or can be). Mine passed stricter SCTA tech without a glance.

Stan
    (Witness to the disappearance and customization of Model A race vehicles of stock features including gas caps, door hinges, overlapping doors, minimization of coupe' pillars, etc.)

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jim, The Lawyer in me thought about the OEM aspect, but since it will be bolted in, eleven flat is the quickest it can run anyway. I think the conversion to 1/8 mile will be 7 flat. It will be fun, no matter.

Dean Lowe, bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This morning, I went to my buddy Mitch Kim's place to check the tow-in on his 29 Pickup. Using an old Manbee guage, it was a struggle, as Mitch "likes em low", he had it right on the money ! While there, he gave me a nice rear spring, his Hot Rod Magazine stash, and traded me an aluminium flywheel. I am planning on using the aluminum flywheel for the street package, and a billet steel one for the race setup. I couldn't resist taking a shot of his world famous yard art truck. IMG_4938.JPG IMG_4939.JPG IMG_4945.JPG IMG_4947.JPG IMG_4948.JPG IMG_4950.JPG