Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Custom guys/ Olds headlight swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, May 28, 2020.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Question for the custom guys. What are the olds bezels made of? My 55 Ford's bezels are made from some heavy, non-metallic casting. Just wondering if the Olds are weldable? Or do you just take part of the Olds fenders and graft them on? Just curious what is involved in this swap.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Usually the fender sections from the Olds are used.

loudbang and oldiron 440 like this.
  3. The Ford bezels are made of zinc and could be soldered to the fenders, you just can't weld on them.

loudbang likes this.
  4. BJR

BJR

Arn't the Olds headlight doors pot metal?

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

you use part of the olds fender and the bezels are pot metal so the remain chromed like Lee Pratt did on his 52 chev

lee.jpg

Sancho and Roothawg like this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

If you don't have the Olds fenders you could shape that part with small rod and sheetmetal. Finding nice rings that aren't all pitted is the hard part. I found a decent pair at a swap a decade ago and got GOOD money for them.

Sancho and Moriarity like this.
  7. As others stated, use a bit of a fender or the round rod and shape metal. I remember recently that one the newer custom magazines had a tech article on adding 56 Olds bezels to a fender with round rod, it was either Traditional Rod & Kulture or Car Kulture Deluxe.

Sancho likes this.
  8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Talk to @drdave. He probably even has pictures.

9. mlagusis

mlagusis

If you look at some of Richard Zochi's cars, when he ran 56 Olds lights, they were trimmed down a bit and looked pretty good.

56 Chysler.jpg

10. Squablow

Squablow

I believe the bezels are reproduced now, and much cheaper than having a pitted set rechromed. Certainly the easiest way to do it would be to have a chunk of the front fenders to graft in, it's a fairly complex shape, the back sides are not flat and the depth of the bulb isn't even with the back side of the bezel so it would take some work to fab it from scratch.

Definitely an attractive headlight design though, looks pretty when done right.

Sancho and catdad49 like this.
  11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Sancho likes this.
  12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks guys. Not 100% yet which direction Inam going.

13. Yes, as others have said, the headlight rings are pot metal. Both 55's (without the peak) and '56's (with the peak) are being reproduced and available from Fusick Automotive. Nice quality, I have them on my Chevy.
    http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/products.asp?dept=86&val=2

When Myron built my Chevy, a friend of his gave him a set of '55 Olds rings, but he didn't have the fender parts. He filled the gap with round rod and sheet metal. When we put the '56's on, I had the Olds fender sections and used the whole top of the fender with the peak all the way back to the cowl.

18156969_10154720072587462_565692879715952938_n.jpg

Sancho and Squablow like this.
  14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Wow!