Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Make a roadster?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by drew1987, May 13, 2020.

1. drew1987

drew1987

Pitman That’s a good idea. I’m definitely going to have a go at this, even if the entire project is on hold…

Continental Jon I will definitely reach out if I decide to go that route and spend that much. Thank you guys

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Tilted the '28 posts back, chopped the top about 3", curled the front of the doors up...flattened the back edge...
    left the option of roll up glass, but I used late '40s garnish that was much wider... when I screwed it down it kind of covered the window gap... cut and raised the top and forward section of the quarters...
    laid a 4' section of 5 quarters plastic decking across a beam in the sun with a car rim slid onto each end...
    bowed quickly... I slid the paper templates onto the decking and moved it around till the bow matched the arch in the quarters...traced the patterns onto the decking, cut them out with a sabersaw...
    get the stuff with sawdust in it... NOT the stuff with concave spaces underneath...it will sand pretty smooth [3" belt sander]... when I screwed it down it easily flexed and bolted down tight... [stock quarter holes] . . sportie - scoop3 015.JPG

GordonC and continentaljohn like this.
  3. drew1987

drew1987

I like it! That would work for me. Makes me wish I had a coupe to start with. Still would have to make rear fenders. The deckboard is creative. You mean like trex right? so you'll glass and paint it? very cool

4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

The cut down sportie use the same cowl and doors as the '29 tudor…
    you could grab those coupe/sport coupe quarters from the guy here on the hamb….
    I see the panel above the decklids are on ebay for less than $100...
    deck and panel below are at every vendor...
    '28-'29 cpe. + sport cpe, and '29-'31 cabbie used the same panel above, called the tulip panel...
    but you might make them...
    if he doesn't have B pillars I might...
    go drew go ...

5. I got no links but many a Tub has been built from a sedan. That is just a long roadster without a turtle deck. No doubt the sedan body could be shortened up to build a lakes style roadster from one, still without a turtle deck.

I would do it if I was a roadster man.

6. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I really like the cabriolet @sloppy jalopies and has a great hotrod look. Shit I may have to look for a model a cowl as I only have a extra 1932 cowl..
    I have the back tulip panel and goes with the quarters image.jpg

7. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

And there ya go... let the sparks fly !

8. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

9. CadMad

CadMad

I got the cowl for $100, the screen for $2 DF2D2319-071D-4F51-A666-C15F1509119A.png 72BED10F-68D6-4442-A119-AD04795E3CF3.jpeg 31FE3019-01E5-4C21-8696-03F4C6F1702C.jpeg 00 and the hood which became the boattail back for $50. Two sheets of 1.2 zincaneal for $120.

hfh, charleyw, Graham08 and 5 others like this.
  10. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Like the Buick Grill

11. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Frame jig legs have me thinking about some other possible applications for trailer tongue jacks.

Ed

12. drew1987

drew1987

Nice work!

Been gone a while sorry! Everything looks good. Pretty fixed on the idea of a true roadster. Need to start gathering parts. That package deal they made me start this post is not the right way to get going. Way too much I’d never use, stuff that’d be hard go move to others plus just about no where to keep it in the meantime :(

I’ll be reporting back when I get my first piece for this project!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app