Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP Don Orosco

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, May 29, 2020.

1. lost another one.
    6A7E8624-E388-4226-B8D5-7DFAE0CA8DF8.jpeg
    All I had was the IG post. Maybe someone has more info.
    Never met the guy but I knew his work.
    We have a lot of hot rod history preserved because of him.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Thor1, Stogy, mctim64 and 7 others like this.
  2. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Wow,What a shock.One of the greats ! I had quite a few dealings with him and all good ! RIP.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Thor1, Fordnut40, micksmith and 11 others like this.
  3. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Definitely a candidate for the preservation hall of fame. Godspeed sir.

Thor1, Dirty Dug, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I called him once, not long after he started the restoration of the Lloyd Bakan coupe, with an offer to sell him and inline 4 deuce manifold for a Desoto. He had already sourced one, but we had a great visit. R.I.P. Mr Orosco.

Thor1, Stogy, mctim64 and 6 others like this.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Very sad news, he was a very nice guy, restored some noteworthy cars, and made a lot of parts to help Vintage Racers keep their cars running. Got to see the restored SoCal Coupe when he brought it along while racing a Lola or Lotus at Lime Rock years ago. RIP, prayers going out to his family and friends. Bob

Thor1, Stogy, Joe Blow and 3 others like this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sincere sympathy goes out to his Family, friends and fans

Thor1, Stogy, Joe Blow and 2 others like this.
  7. A very nice gentleman. R. I. P. Mr. Don Orosco. I met him at one of the L A roadster shows. I was walking thru the swap meet section looking at some parts when he opened the door of his coach & spoke to me. I was wearing a Tee from Seaside Or. show(03) & he said he was there so we had a nice conversation.
    He will be missed.

Thor1, Stogy, Joe Blow and 3 others like this.
  8. pitman

pitman

Repro Ardun heads project was something he did also.

Thor1, Stogy, Joe Blow and 2 others like this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Three Don Orosco cars that were class winners at Pebble Beach. So-Cal Coupe - 1st in class @ 2001 PBCd'E.jpg
    SoCal Coupe 2001
    Dick Flint Roadster - 1st in class @ 1999 PBCd'E.jpg
    Dick Flint Roadster 1999
    Lloyd Bakan Coupe - 1st in class @ 2007 PBCd'E.jpg
    Lloyd Bakan Coupe 2007

10. deucemac

deucemac

This is EXTREMELY sad news. I had the privilege of talking and dealing with Don several times. A true gentleman that loved our hobby and had the money and desire to correctly restore significant cars and speed equipment for our pleasure. Thank you Don and rest in peace.

Thor1, arkiehotrods, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  11. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I sold Don a few things over the years and he was a super nice guy. I do remember thanking him for what he had done to our hobby. The Bakan coupe is my personal favorite...he really elevated old hot rods to a space more akin to art or museums, and made other people who wouldn't ordinarily care, notice. RIP.

Hollywood-East, Thor1, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  12. Fogger

Fogger

I met Don years ago at the GNRS where he was displaying his Riley Overhead '32 Ford Roadster. A true gentleman and enthusiast, he spent over a 1/2 hour pointing out all the vintage parts and the Kinmont brakes that had been incorporated into the build. He truly loved the vintage Hot Rods and was a definite asset to the hobby. RIP Don

Thor1, Stogy, 1320 Fan and 2 others like this.
  13. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Legendary car guy and just a great individual. RIP Don.

Bio from the Monterey Speed & Sport Catalog:
    Winning vintage racer, historian, consummate auto enthusiast and owner of Monterey Speed & Sport, Don Orosco has been a serious hot rodder for over 50 years. As a teenager, he attended the Oakland Roadster Show in the 1950’s, and competed there in later years. His superb restorations of three famous Hot Rod Magazine cover cars, the ex-Alex Xydias So-Cal Speed Shop ’34 Ford coupe, the Lloyd Bakan ’32 Ford three-window coupe, and the Dick Flint ’29 Ford roadster, won first place in the highly competitive Historic Hot Rod Class at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. His restoration of the ex-Tony LaMasa “Ricky Nelson” ’32 Ford roadster, was a third place winner.

Don may be best known in hot rod circles for his better-than-original reproduction Ardun overhead valve cylinder heads for Ford and Mercury flatheads. He was the first to take on the challenge of reproducing these scarce, almost-legendary components. His Arduns were virtually identical to the originals. Orosco was also the first to reproduce highly desirable Eddie Meyer “Hollywood” finned high compression heads and intake manifolds for numerous flathead applications.

As a result of his broad vintage racing experience, Don maintains close contact with top craftsmen around the world who are capable of manufacturing virtually anything. He periodically taps into this tremendous talent pool to develop rare and unusual flathead speed equipment, unique hot rod accessories, and historic race car parts, always in limited quantities – many of which are products that he routinely uses in his own car.

“We are dedicated to preserving our automotive heritage through the products we manufacture, the restoration projects we undertake, and the race events we participate in. They evoke an era when craftsmanship and innovation were admired and respected, and speed and power were the goal. Our work at Monterey Speed and Sport embodies the best of a simpler time and continues a tradition of excellence… and still manages to get our heart pounding like the sight and sound of a period Lakes racer making a pass at Bonneville!”

winduptoy, slug, Thor1 and 6 others like this.
  14. Sad news , RIP Don O. Thoughts & Prayers to his family & friends.. God speed !

Thor1, Stogy and Joe Blow like this.
  15. From Ken Gross' book, Art of the Hot Rod:
    20200529_182800~2.jpg

slug, Thor1, clem and 6 others like this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

Wow, many years ago before Ryan took over the FordBarn, I sold some parts to Don...I didn't know what they were worth, but he paid the going rate-as I found out later, Never spoke with him, but was a standup guy in my book.

RIP.

Thor1, Stogy, Joe Blow and 1 other person like this.
  17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Godspeed, my friend.

Thor1, Stogy and Joe Blow like this.
  18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like everybody sold parts to him. I also found Mr. Orosco to be a fine gentleman and I am sure he will be missed by many.

CNC-Dude, Thor1, Stogy and 1 other person like this.

19. Don Orosco .jpg
    Donald Bruce Orosco
    March 18, 1944 - May 28, 2020

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    slug, Thor1, Gotgas and 4 others like this.
  20. Don's "RILEY SPECIAL" Deuce Roadster at the 2011 Palo Alto Concours d'Elegance:

Don Orosco - Riley Special @ 2011 Palo Alto Concours d'Elegance (1).jpg
    Don Orosco - Riley Special @ 2011 Palo Alto Concours d'Elegance (2).jpg
    Don Orosco - Riley Special @ 2011 Palo Alto Concours d'Elegance (3).jpg
    Don Orosco - Riley Special @ 2011 Palo Alto Concours d'Elegance (4).jpg
    Don Orosco - Riley Special @ 2011 Palo Alto Concours d'Elegance (5).jpg

slug, Thor1, Fordnut40 and 5 others like this.
  21. Don's latest Deuce Roadster at the 2017 Carmel-By-The-Sea Concours On The Avenue:

Don Orosco '32 Roadster - Carmel-By-The-Sea Concours on the Avenue 8-15-2017 (1).jpg
    Don Orosco '32 Roadster - Carmel-By-The-Sea Concours on the Avenue 8-15-2017 (2).jpg
    Don Orosco '32 Roadster - Carmel-By-The-Sea Concours on the Avenue 8-15-2017 (3).jpg
    Don Orosco '32 Roadster - Carmel-By-The-Sea Concours on the Avenue 8-15-2017 (4).jpg
    Don Orosco '32 Roadster - Carmel-By-The-Sea Concours on the Avenue 8-15-2017 (5).jpg
    Don Orosco '32 Roadster - Carmel-By-The-Sea Concours on the Avenue 8-15-2017 (6).jpg
    Don Orosco '32 Roadster - Carmel-By-The-Sea Concours on the Avenue 8-15-2017 (7).jpg

NOTE: The placard on the ground behind the front spreader bar read:

Orosco Deuce Roadster - Placard.JPG

22. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Don was born 03/18/44.

Thor1 and Stogy like this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the Orosco Family and Friends on the passing of Don who had such a connection to greatness in the Hobby...Thanks for sharing this unfortunate loss to the Community...

Additional thanks to the others sharing personal connections to this Hotrodder....

Regards,
    Stogy

24. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a great loss. R.I.P. Mr. Orosco.

God, do I feel old.

Thor1, anthony myrick and Joe Blow like this.
  25. 40Vert

40Vert

What a great loss, a real asset to the hobby. When I called to order his Eddie Meyer heads and intake about 17 years ago, I was asked if I could hold by the admininstrative assistant and to my surprise, Don took the call. Spent and hour talking to me sharing lots of info. He was super kind to a 25 year old kid just learning about flatheads.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

winduptoy, Thor1, Gotgas and 2 others like this.
  26. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Don was a great guy, rest in peace.

Thor1 and anthony myrick like this.
  27. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Don always had time to say hi! RIP.

Thor1 and The37Kid like this.
  28. A true gentleman, a perfectionist, and a hot-rodder, too

Thor1 and The37Kid like this.
  29. WB69