Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Help! 1954 Pontac dropped uprights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tinnhound, May 28, 2020.

1. Tinnhound

Tinnhound
    from Alberta

Hi everyone! I recently bought a 1954 Pontiac Star Cheif Catalina 2 door hardtop running and driving , and the previous owner installed 3" blocks in the back, and I want to bring the front end down 2- 2 1/2" So I ordered the Fatman dropped uprights for a 53-54 Pontiac., which are designed for a 2 1/2"drop. When I held them up to the original uprights in the first 2 pics, you can see that there would be a 4 1/2" drop, way too much. The third picture is my parts car, a 1953 Chieften 4 door with the same spindles. I contacted Fatman, and they think that I have some sort of oddity going on with my cars, suggesting that possibly I have Olds spindles, or 1955 spindles, as they insist that the spindles that I was sent are correct for a 53-54 Pontiac. Can anyone shed some light on this situation, have a look at your car, or send/post pics of your setup? Please help! Thanks!!
    1954 Pontiac Star Chief
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1953 Pontiac Chieften
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are they upside-down?

X38, Hnstray and Inked Monkey like this.
  3. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Ha, exactly what I thought

X38 likes this.
  4. I see the OP is in Canada, could this be a Canadian thing? IIRC the Canadian Pontiacs have differences from the US versions, maybe this is one of them...

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

If the car in question has round tail lights, it would be the American version. If it has Chev tail lights, it would be the Canadian one and treat it as a Chev. However, I have been wrong before.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Tinnhound

Tinnhound
    from Alberta

Here is my 54, It is the American car, not the Canadian version, that was based on the Chevrolet. It has original paint, except the hood and drivers fender. In my previous pictures of the Fatman spindles, I was not holding them upside down, this is obvious, the big end is at the top with the clamping bolt, small end at the bottom, and notice the spindle stop on the lower right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    53 parts car, It looks like the American version, even has round tail lights, but the tag says made in Canada
    [​IMG]
    If anyone has parts for my 54, please let me know, Thanks!

Hnstray likes this.
  7. goldmountain

goldmountain

That Monarch certainly looks Canadian.

8. brading

brading

Have you sent the pictures that you have posted on here to see if they can come up with answer. If you haven't then that's what I would do. A picture says a thousand word.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. cousin steve

cousin steve
    from Orting WA

I put the fatman dropped uprights on my '53 over 10 years ago. looking at some old pictures they look the same as the ones you got from them. I don't have my original uprights around any more to compare but I do have a '54 starchief parts car I can take a look at later today.

10. cousin steve

cousin steve
    from Orting WA

I checked my parts car and the stockers look exactly like yours.

11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I can't offer help but your Pontiac hardtop is really cool.. Hope you get it sorted out....

12. Tinnhound

Tinnhound
    from Alberta

Thanks for looking! keep me posted on your spare parts,

13. Tinnhound

Tinnhound
    from Alberta

Thanks!! I love all of the styling of it, can't wait to get it sitting right and the paint matched up on the hood and drivers fender

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  14. Tinnhound

Tinnhound
    from Alberta

Yes, 1950 Mercury Monarch, she still runs and drives!
    [​IMG]

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  15. goldmountain

goldmountain

It is not a Mercury Monarch. It is a Monarch. They were sold at the Ford dealers; not Mercury dealers.

16. showrod

showrod

image.jpeg
    Here is a pair of dropped Pontiac dropped uprights I have for sale in the classifieds. To show what they look like