Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who Has Tractors

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by crashfarmer, May 14, 2018.

1. I simply can not fantom how anyone could get by without owning at least one Farm tractor. I commonly use one at least three times per week.

2. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

Well,I can only imagine the panic from the Home Owners Association where a lot of people live if someone were to show up with a old tractor in tow. Why anybody would choose to live in one of those "communities" will forever remain a mystery to me.

3. Amen to that!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Okie Pete, MO54Frank and Old wolf like this.
  4. Normant93

Normant93

I couldn't agree more Wolf! I use one of my tractors almost daily it seems. There's nothing better than a front loader for picking up and moving heavy stuff without breaking your back.
    By the way, were you able to get that old Gravely going last year or how about that little home built tractor you were working on with your grandsons?

5. tractorguy

tractorguy

Really, really nice big stuff ........love all the different tractor models and brands........serious stuff.

Okie Pete likes this.
  6. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

Asking because I don't know,what is involved in getting a driveway ready for snow? Do you spread and grade gravel?

7. fargoguy

fargoguy

In addition to a couple of 8n chore tractors- here is our Rockol- custom tractor company- all dodge running gear- road gear so fast it’s scary. 1948 Tractor- custom made them, then whoever sold them named them. This one sold by Rock Oil company out of Edmonton, Alberta 440A1992-B6A8-4244-9043-7C0A51F480F9.jpeg

8. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

I sorta vaguely remember what I THINK was an older Farmall owed by a friends father when I was a teen that had a flat 6 Plymouth engine in it. Can't remember all these years later if it was direct bolt-in or an adaptor plate had to be made,but it worked good.

Unfortunately,the man that took the time to put this together was using it to mow around a "pond" on his land where he had been digging out and selling fill dirt ,and it and he both went into the pond,with it pinning him to the bottom and drowning him. I suspect the brakes didn't work and the mower "pushed" him into the pond because the PTO didn't stop spinning when he put the clutch in. I noticed this a couple of years later when he son used it to grade some fill dirt I had bought from him. He would get to the end of a "run",put the clutch in,and the tractor would keep moving forward a few feet.

IIRC,this is what the older tractors with a "live" pto do,so if you are using one of these "hobby tractors" to work with occasionally,you might want to look into a PTO conversion kit that stops the PTO from spinning when you put the clutch in. This is easy to forget when you are focused on what you are doing,and can be fatal.

Okie Pete likes this.
  9. tractorguy

tractorguy

Very, very well-stated as it relates to the problem many older tractors had. My brother mows lots of grass at our mothers place with an Allis Chalmers C and a Woods belly mower. He understands the phenomenon you describe and compensates at the end of each pass if he has to clutch and turn around. I think also that there is an over-running clutch setup that can be installed on the pto shaft coming from the mower and it will function to release the rotating force of the mower related to the tractor pto output.

Okie Pete likes this.
  10. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

"I think also that there is an over-running clutch setup that can be installed on the pto shaft coming from the mower and it will function to release the rotating force of the mower related to the tractor pto output."

Yes,this is what I half-remembered and was trying to describe. There are so many of these old tractors out there still in use by people with a few acres to cut grass,run a disc,etc,etc,etc that I would be surprised if this device is hard to find and buy.

Okie Pete and tractorguy like this.
  11. Does this count? I'll add a couple photos of my old Wheel Horse. I got it used probably 30 years ago. Very tough little tractor, and still runs great. 20200531_132151.jpeg 20200531_132140.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

^^ My Wheel Horse (1966 856) runs like a champ. That 8hp Kohler really works hard. I recently finished a restoration of it as my grandfather bought it new. I still have all the paperwork from the dealer that's still in business 2 miles from my house!

13. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Credit to the fabricators that made these cool units.
    track nose tractor (2).jpg hot rod tractor.jpg
    DSC_2126 (2).JPG

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  14. mchook

mchook
    from upstate NY

Brought home this old timer last week. It works great, I already graded off the driveway. SUNP0001.JPG

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Massey.jpg
    My good friend Dan has a sweet '57 Massey Harris.

16. tractorguy

tractorguy

I love that Cub ! I am a Case guy, with only my Case 530 loader tractor left, from about 20 older ones I have owned. I have been very, very tempted to raise my hand at several small farm auctions to bring a Cub into the shed to peacefully coexist with the Case and my brother's Allis Chalmers C with a Woods belly mower

17. We havent done much with the homebuilt. I did get the Gravely running. I need to fix the exhaust and make a shield to direct the air around the cyl head. I used both my M farmall and Super A today. Its just handy and fun to play with them.

Okie Pete likes this.
  18. Yes I use a overrunning clutch on my tractors it lets the flywheel momentum from whatever your using not push the geartrain. They aint hard to find. Tractor supply has them. Most farm supply places carry them. cost less than a $100

19. egads

egads

Wheel Horse GT14. Full hydraulics, tough little unit!! Will do more than you think it should. DSC00175.JPG

20. I attended a Estate auction Saturday. Bought some old ford parts and a derelict B Farmall Tractor for scrap price.

Okie Pete and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  21. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I don't have a picture handy of my John Deere M or my 550 Oliver but here is the Oliver 60 I have decided to sell as the tires are getting pretty bad and I don't want to shell out the bucks for new ones. DSCF1262.JPG

22. tractorguy

tractorguy

Boy.......does that bring back memories......when I was sent to my uncle's farm for the summer to help with milking, making hay and cutting oats.......I practiced "speed shifting" on an Oliver 60 when pulling wagons of oats off the combine......probably shouldn't have tried it pulling a load......it did not end well !!!

Okie Pete likes this.
  23. Tractors! Here is our M hauling the water.

[​IMG]

24. I have 5 running M Farmalls and a junked one for parts. I see yours like mine is a using tractor. I like where the hood is cutout for the alternator. You also have the belt pulley!. I was watching U tube today a Dood has a B Farmall . Idiot took apart a running usable tractor and painstakingly fixed and nit picked and painted it Better than when it was new. and now Is so persnickety that he will not actually use it because it might get dirty. I told my wife someone needs to do him a favor & get it and drive it thru a couple barbed wire fences beat it with a hammer and pour some battery acid on it. Then he could actually use and enjoy his tractor. There is a Old Fart from Ohio on U tube. Goes By Farm Junk 101. He is in his mid 70,s and buys dead tractors and brings those zombie tractors back to life and actually uses them. Im a lot like the Farm junk geezer!

nate, tractorguy, caseywheels and 2 others like this.
  25. noboD

noboD

I just changed oil in my International 140 tonight, similar to a Farmall A. It and a six foot Woods belly mower is the only lawn mower I have had for about 20 years. Taught my 14 year old grandson to drive it last week.

tractorguy, caseywheels and Old wolf like this.
  26. Ive got a Super A with a 59 inch woods belly mower. My A has a engine from a 200 and has larger bore thinner sleeves much larger than stock. and bigger than the original 113 cu in engine.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  27. Left home at 430 this morning and took my wrecker and tilt top trailer and went and fetched the dead B Farmall and some junk iron home. No problems everything went according to my plan. However one back tire fell apart and the inner tube has chewed holes from mice and Rats. And when I started installing the chains and binders a 9 inch long copperhead snake emerged from that inner tube. Poor little snake was lost and bewildered. I took a long stick and managed to pick him up and carry him back to the thicket that I pulled the tractor out of. I plan to attend another auction tomorrow. dead tractor 001.JPG dead tractor 002.JPG dead tractor 003.JPG

28. Well I could not resist. The engine on the dead B is stuck. I tool off the hood. yes its rained down the exhaust. Something I knew about but never seen. It had a mechanical lever operated exhaust heat rizer. Its for rerouting the exhaust thru pipes to fill a large cyl with exhaust pressure for a sort of Pumatic lift. any way pulled the plugs water in number 4 cyl. & that piston was at TDC. I blew the cyls out with compressed air. Started filling the cyls with brake fluid, When I was filling number 2 cyl. the brake fluid started running out the radiator drain pipe. That cyl has been rained full of water and froze and busted the sleeve from the inside out. Since there wasnt any water in the block and the B has wet sleeves it might still have a good block? Eny road the head and oil pan will have to come off.I have a good supply of used sleeves and even a extra block in my hoard. I also have some rear tires. It might run again but it will never get and paint from me.

29. Went to the auction saturday. Only HAMB worthy thing I bought is a LP Power unit that has a 250 chevy engine.

30. MoePower

MoePower
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omro, WI

Not really old but I just picked up this Case to replace a junk craftsman. Spent many hours on a 444 as a kid.

IMG_0310.jpg