Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Toy Shop Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, May 28, 2020.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The Toy Shop Custom

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Cool car, I dig the lover's shifter.

3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

It's all about ratio and proportion.

That car has what so many customs don't have...balance.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    The two Long Beach brothers were teen and pre-teen at the time of this custom car rolled around and was in the magazines. It was a very nice custom with a lot of different parts going in the place of the stock parts. But, the thing that did not make the Chevy look good were the outside pipes over the rear fender skirts. Yes, it was different and unusual, but very impractical and odd looking. the article smoothed over the fact that there was no room after lowering the car for the rear pipes.

So, in order to appease the CHP vehicle laws about rear exiting exhaust pipes in front of the wheel, it satisfied that rule by extending it out past the rear wheel. Nice idea to get around the law, but it just looked odd and out of place.
    The rear skirts are fine, but the pipes just look like an afterthought.

We all like to be different, but those hubcaps are also not in the quality range with the rest of the custom touches and build. They are just too plain and while others selected their choices, most cool customs in this era had chromed reversed rims if anything.

Jnaki
    It was excellent custom work and would do well in the car show circuit, if it had or did not have those odd ball items, mentioned above. YRMV

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think the over chopped look has gone the way of the rockasilly morons who invaded the hobby a few years back. not near as many people screwing up these cars now than 10 years ago.

loudbang and Rolleiflex like this.
  6. CadMad

CadMad

I admire out side the box thinking so I have to say that the exhaust route is ok with me Jnaki. As you point out they were young “kids” having a go. Don’t know how you would change the rear wheel but that is just another challenge to overcome. That’s what customising is. Finding solutions.
    Harley Earl always hired young Designers because their ideas were new and fresh.
    53 Cadillac hubcaps were a staple of post war mid 50s customising. Clean and stylish. I think they suit the build perfectly..

jnaki and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I agree that this is a nice, tastefully done mild custom that illustrates how "Less is More". The modifications enhance the style of the car, not trying to make it something that it is not. I like the tail pipes, as they are so very subtle in a very different way. Honestly, I didn't notice them until I read the text! (I do not, however like the idea of removing the drip rails. To me it reminds of a person with no eyebrows...) Bottom line = That car is sweet!

8. dwest999

dwest999
    from Saline, MI

I am obviously bias to this car since my '50 Chevy Coupe has a lot of the same design elements.
    upload_2020-5-28_21-34-3.png

rotten ron, rod1, Silva and 4 others like this.