Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How much hp/tq can torque tube setup handle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by draggin49, May 21, 2020.

1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before I knew him a former boss and mentor had a '32 coupe with a Hemi mated to a '39 trans with an adapter. He had issues with the trans scattering on hard 1/2 shifts when racing. But he also had trouble with axle keys breaking. His "I'm a kid and know everything" solution to the key way issue was to polish the hub/axle/key way assembly to insure a tight as possible fit. His father was an old time welder/fabricator who basically told him it was a bad mistake. Of course the first time he jumped on it hard the key way held but the rest of the rear end not so much. He learned the hard way that it was easier to change an axle key than a complete rear end. Of course trans and rear ends were plentiful and relatively cheap in junk yards back then.

stillrunners likes this.
  2. draggin49

draggin49

The car was driven quite a few miles before I was able to pick up the car just to look for anything that might pop up .If the bolts weren’t torqued right wouldn’t what happened while I drove the car happen during the many test drive miles the car had logged before I drove it?
    I apologize for not clarifying that this was NOT the car’s first drive , but just the first time I drove the car .

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  3. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

That was one of Dick Spadaro’s units. I replaced the twisted tube with a .120 wall 4130 tube and never had another issue. It was behind a 286 flatty with 39 box and a Winters V8 quick change in a A Coupe.

draggin49 likes this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

Didn't HRM or another mag in the late 50's/early 60's do an article about converting other type of axle for the banjo rear, and eliminate the tapered axles?

5. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

6. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

It may have taken a few miles for the bolts to back off that far. However, they wouldn't back off like that if they were properly torqued to begin with.

31hotrodguy and C69A like this.
  7. draggin49

draggin49

Thank you for clarifying, that makes sense.

8. rusty valley

rusty valley

those bolts were supposed to be safety wired also, note the holes in the head. i would think at the very least you should step up to the later 32 design rear end while its apart.

9. 32owner

32owner

i did not see any safety wire on them this would have kept them from backing out

10. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Is there a way to make those old rearends have positraction ?

11. You weld up the spider gears and then they blow apart real good , ask me how I know !

Jrs50 and ekimneirbo like this.
  12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Never really paid much attention to the old closed drive rearends. Been fifty+ years since I had a car with a V8 and closed drive. The weak link was the transmission, but the op seems to have solved that problem. I get the nostalgia thing, but after that exercise in futility I moved on to open drive and never looked back. When this came up, I immediately wondered if there was any way to install some sort of positraction because I haven't fooled with one in almost forever. I guess my point is......whats the purpose of building horsepower if you can't get traction and reliability? So if things have changed, I'd like to know.:)