Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 31 ford vin/ serial

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chaplenblackout, May 27, 2020.

1. chaplenblackout

chaplenblackout

OK I get that the serial number on the engine was stamped on the frame. and then when the VIN cam around that serial number on the frame became the VIN. as well as the title goes with the frame. My question is can you build/ fabricate a new frame and transfer the serial number to it ether buy stamping or cutting out the old and welding it on to the new? and thus destroy the old frame? How much of the old would you have to keep to retain the serial / VIN?

2. Dont destroy the old frame, remove the vin and sell it....

3. chaplenblackout

chaplenblackout

lol no i couldn't and wouldn't do with a good usable frame. but once you did this you'd have to destroy as to not be VIN cloning which is Big no no

4. chaplenblackout

chaplenblackout

But could you would it be legal to transfer?

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

c b ,
    PM me, don't want the state to make it harder to get hot rod plates [needed to run fenderless]
    there are some ways...

irishsteve likes this.
  6. 5window

5window

Probably state specific
    Sent from my moto g(6) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Any welding around the VIN number is a red flag to police.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good question.

FYI The VIN on my 31 ford is stamped into the top of the frame.

9. rusty valley

rusty valley

a couple years ago i went to a big auction on the west side of the black hills in SD. on the sale they had a 34 frame with a title listed. i wanted to go anyway, but had an eye on that frame. well, i could not believe my eyes when i saw it. looked like the guy got his new arc welder for christmas and gobbed all over the 1 x 5" number section to get it welded in place, and then ran over it with 36 grit pad on the 9" grinder. deep scratches all over the rail, and burn thru holes in the welds....just gross. if a cop saw that you would be in the back seat and the view of your car being loaded on the wrecker would be the last sight of it. i did not bid, it brought about 800 if i remember.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. chaplenblackout

chaplenblackout

Wow that would be garbage. No i couldn't do anything like that. If done would be professional like thay say weld around the serial number would bring red flages.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. I suppose if you cut12+inches or more of the frame with #'s and graft to new frame blended veeeeery well.But still does not make legal.Asking permission vs forgiveness ain't gonna work

rusty valley likes this.
  12. chaplenblackout

chaplenblackout

Ya i want to do legal if at all.

13. Budget36

Budget36

Then maybe call your MV Dept?

Hey, but while your here, should I get heart bypass, or would a stint be okay?

flatford39 likes this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have a title to the frame with the serial number you probably want to contact the DMV about how you go about replacing a damaged frame with a "reproduction frame on your titled vehicle. If the old frame has some suspect or hack work on it that would suffice. or just cut it in two at one end or the other and probably at the rear where someone would normally cut it to step the frame so you don't have a complete frame.
    If you don't have a clear title it probably doesn't make a lot of difference but either way I'd haul the old frame or what is left of it along when I went to have it inspected. That may get you past the reconstructed old car rather than a freshly built needs to be copacetic with current regs that don't jive with old cars well thing.
    Make sure you have photos of when you bought it and a few of the tear down photos that show that old frame being attached to the body when you got it. A 3 ring binder with some page savers is your friend there plus you have to have the paperwork on the replacement frame.

Barn Hunter and chaplenblackout like this.
  15. chaplenblackout

chaplenblackout

I just want to thank you. Thanks for reminding me that there are alot of aholes on here.

Thank you to the rest of you with some good information though.

16. Budget36

Budget36

My pleasure.

You don't think this is a good site to ask for medical advice?

Texas Webb likes this.
  17. chaplenblackout

chaplenblackout

:D
    In you case i think it is. Being a aircraft mechanic. Id recommend one from one artery to the next in you neck. Being your brain clearly isn't using any oxygen.

5window likes this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

See, now I can form a plan!

Texas Webb likes this.
  19. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

There is a guy over on the Fordbarn that sells the number stamps with the proper font for that era of car in case you need to restore or freshen up your serial number. Good Luck.

20. 5window

5window

I tihnk you meant "stent". I'd just put you on furosemide so you'd pee all the time. :)

21. Budget36

Budget36

Now ya killing me, after my BP pills, it'd be a real wet day;)

22. Budget36

Budget36

Just to clarify, for those who may not have caught the jist of my first reply, everyone has opinions, some based on what they have done, what others have done, what they think would work...etc.

If I had a question about legality and asked about it here, let's say...if 90% said "do this" and 10% said "do that"....that doesn't hold water.

So, if you have a legal question (just my opinion) spend the time and call the proper place/authority where you live.

What is good in Alabama may not be good in Texas, etc.

Texas Webb and 24riverview like this.
  23. Budget36 and lothiandon1940 like this.