Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Plymouth Valiant question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodzmartin, May 24, 2020.

1. GTS225

GTS225

Uh-HUH! So, you've come out of the grocery store too, and looked around, thinking to yourself, where the hell did I park it?

Yep, and it was probably #5 or #6. That's typical for a badly neglected slant (which a lot of them were). The back rod(s) get starved for oil when galleys start to plug up, and it'll throw one of them, breaking the starter off the block, trashing the entire engine.

Roger

2. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

My folks bought a new 63 Dart 4-door in January with a 225 and push-button TF. Great car. Family car, work car, grocery getter, vacation car. They kept it 7 years and about 100K miles.

hotrodzmartin likes this.
  3. The Beloved Leaning Tower of Power was installed in trucks up to and including 1987. Then it was replaced with the 3.9 V-6. The V-6 wasn’t a bad engine, it just suffered from being the Slant Six replacement. The only other engine with a reputation close to the Tower would be the Great 300 Ford. I love them both. Of course, Chevrolet made a fine six as well.......

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've seen a few that broke #5 rod and poked a hole in the block. On more then one occasion, I've seen that piston and rod shoved to the top of the cylinder, the hole in the block patched up (mostly to keep dirt and stuff from falling into the motor) that were run as a slant 5 cylinder for quite a while after the "fix". I've seen them run without oil for a very long time as well. Added oil, fixed the oil leak and they were good to go.

They were tough motors, but in my youth, I pulled a lot of perfectly good slant 6 motors and replaced them with V8s. A teenage motor head just couldn't have a 6 cylinder back in those days.
    I'm not a teenager any more, the 3.9 V6 is a good motor, I've got 2 of them in use right now. Gene

hotrodzmartin likes this.