Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***May 2020 Banger Meet Thread - 4 are Essential***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, May 1, 2020.

1. 97

It had more BANG on # 3 when I left it in post 199, looks like someone:rolleyes: messed with the tune! ;)

Jet96 and winduptoy like this.
  2. or an air leak............
    J

Old Dawg likes this.
  3. railcarmover

railcarmover

[​IMG]
    Getting ready to pull wire..

Old Dawg and Fabber McGee like this.
  4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

not to high jack , but im using a Spal shaved door kit . i using only 2 channels . drivers door & trunk .
    my problem is that the ground (for the unit) has a draw . positive it is the unit ground . any help appreciated ............ small draw (1.4vdc)

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  5. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know but a solenoid is a solenoid and doesn't know polarity.
    Try a bench run hooking it to a battery either way and see if it pulls in....or shoots across the room.

Jet96 likes this.
  6. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Went sideways today... I worked on a two cylinder engine that has as many power strokes in one revolution of the crank as a V-8.
    Got the heads off... the pistons are stuck in the bore IMG_20200524_145931821.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Get out the BIG hammer!!!

Old Dawg and winduptoy like this.
  8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

my solenoids work fine . i believe the control is the draw . thanks .. steve

9. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Winduptoy, working on a Stanley I see.

G Baese and winduptoy like this.
  10. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You've worked on one of these before. That's how the steam chest and heads came off. Get mad, use 3# hammer and brass bar stock, go for drive in a screaming GMC Diesel powered truck afterwards. This car was Fred Marriots at the factory. Fred set the land speed record in 1906 at 127.659 MPH at Ormond Beach in a steam car. The record stood, for a steam powered car, for over a hundred years. There is a reason we aren't all driving steam powered cars today.
    Happy Memorial day to all you Hoodlums. Enjoy the day with family and old cars. Stay Healthy and Thank You to all of you that have Served.
    Larry

Old Dawg, Jet96 and guitarguy like this.
  11. Larry, Well said,
    Today is a trip to the cemetery, Father, Friends and the Unrecognized who served for us to have Our Freedoms.
    Thank You.

J

winduptoy likes this.
  12. railcarmover

railcarmover

Voltage drop is an indication of amperage draw.Im using relays to control higher amperage switching,like my lights,to reduce the load on my switches..run you pop button to operate a relay let the relay take the solenoid load.

13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

thanks ........... last nite in my dream , i came up with same solution . relays !!! ...... thank you .. steve

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]
    Looks like that Stanley has had a rough life. Bob

winduptoy likes this.
  15. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Looking into doing the same thing.Will the head be billet or casting ?

16. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, it has. It's the case with a lot of these cars. I wasn't very bright when I took this on and you have to fabricate the parts that are beyond repair or missing. This is a 1919... Only made 488 total production across all models for the year. That's why I like bangers, they were plentyful and many more still around. Turn the key and go, well for the most part. The clutch in the Vicki is slipping. Next project...

Old Dawg likes this.
  17. Burl,
    The idea is to build a cam tower to fit on top of a Gemsa head.
    As it is shown currently it is billet machined from block.
    I am planning on using the Ford roller rocker from the mod motor. This may not be as easy since the cam profile is different than a flat tappet cam.
    The other consideration is extending the cam snout far enough for a pulley or sprocket.
    Still much to do before making any chips.

Take care, John

winduptoy and Old Dawg like this.
  18. Larry, my coupes doing the same, just keep lowering the rear gears................
    John

winduptoy likes this.
  19. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I just finished up the new wiring in my "Tan Sedan". Switched to 12 volts and not being a big fan of walking home in the dark I decided I wanted some individual circuits with protection.
    I dug around in my inventory and came up with the original switch box that came on my dad's Powermatic table saw in the early 70's. It's about 4 x 6 and maybe 3 and a 1/2 inches deep. Has a nice slightly art decco cover which I hinged. It was a tight squeeze but I got 6 circuits and all the wires in there.

I only used one relay so I could take the load off the little ignition switch and still turn off everything but the head lights with the key. I put the flasher and the relay in the cover.
    20200508_083414_resized.jpg
    The 2 circuits on the left are hot all the time and the other 4 are heated up by the relay.
    20200525_173944_resized.jpg
    Those are self resetting breakers. I ordered them same time as the fuse block thinking the block used mini fuses. When it all got here the breakers were mini and the block was for standard fuses, but they fit and seem to work fine.

I could have done a little neater job, but the car is an all stock (for now) driver and will never be a show car. As it was I've probably got most of a week invested and life is demanding that I move on to other jobs around here, haha.
    20200515_192015 (Small).jpg

Old Dawg, Jet96, winduptoy and 6 others like this.
  20. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Cool,
    We were thinking of machine complete from billet splitting the head for water jacket.Try to use as much off the shelf components for the valve train as possible.The machining part isnt to bad but the design cost adds up really quick.

winduptoy likes this.
  21. Burl,
    no doubt it all costs waaayyyy tooo much.
    I like the cup and shim assembly except getting cups large enough are becoming a problem.that is why I thought of the roller rocker. I like the assembly, the pivot point can be threaded adjuster with ball on top instead of hydraulic. Even that would be easy to do. I have done flathead in billet, two piece with orings, not had a leak yet.
    The conversation last night came up again about 4 port heads and who's making what. I sure would like to find another Moeller casting that has not been finished.
    I was looking at Vega lifters from '71 I think, they look good but I don't know if we can get a large enough spring inside them. VL277 I think, with adjusting screw, nice package.

Stay safe, John

Old Dawg, winduptoy and Crazydaddyo like this.
  22. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Go Desmo

Old Dawg and winduptoy like this.
  23. that makes it less expensive....................

Old Dawg likes this.
  24. railcarmover

railcarmover

Im going for full reliability..using 30a capable relays for 15a circuits (or less) and 15a toggles and push buttons for 1/4 a control circuits..keyswitch will see about 2a firing control circuits and the main relay which runs coil and fuel pump.No show car here either,its just a model a..

winduptoy and Fabber McGee like this.
  25. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

With Dealing with my 1910 Overland and 1914 Buick I had to have ring and pinion, a couple of axles and and a solid drive shaft made, I found a place in Cadillac Michigan called Rempco (https://www.rempco.com/ ) that made my machine parts for these cars. I believe he has specialized in making Stanley parts. Depending on what you need you may contact them and see if they can help you with anything.

Jet96 and winduptoy like this.
  26. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

And you are in this to save money?.............

27. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too funny... I was having the same conversation in my head as I drove home the other morning. Yep, the taller tires and 3:54 gear don't help at all except for messing with the trucks on the highway.
    IMG_20200509_064638820.jpeg

burl, Old Dawg and Jet96 like this.
  28. Ha Ha HA!
    Hell no, I don't drive a Chebby!!

Lets be realistic, while the desmonic is cool, it just adds too many ways to screw up a good part that I can barely make serviceable.......J

Crazydaddyo, Old Dawg and winduptoy like this.
  29. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Now that would be pretty cool.Get it figured out and we can machine it.

Crazydaddyo likes this.